Sign in to follow this  

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Yeh WBA was a doozy

We really kept it strong against Bristol as well, didnt turn off for a second

I like how we decied to play sh1te for the second 45 vs Coventry as well.

👎

Don't forget the great performance against newly-promoted Sunderland, that was a corker.

And for all you ungrateful naysayers, we played so well against Reading that their keeper couldn't make a save all game...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wesforprimeminister said:

I'm just so confused at the moment, with Norwich, and our management. I don't look forward to a matchday like I did, because I know the sort of performance level it is, but quite obviously want us to win, wether playing poorly or like man city. 

I know its been spoken of on here about what happens if/when we go up, and we will no doubt do exactly the same as previous premier league seasons. I feel the only way teams can go up and thrive is through really stamping their authority on the league below. I cant see any side being promoted this season getting anywhere next season, this championship season, is by far the worst I have ever seen. 

Is this all Smiths and Shakespeares fault? Or are they doing what is necessary for promotion for another season of spankings. 

You should know the answer by now as any real City fan would

39 minutes ago, kirku said:

Don't forget the great performance against newly-promoted Sunderland, that was a corker.

And for all you ungrateful naysayers, we played so well against Reading that their keeper couldn't make a save all game...

…whilst ours made 1 good save, a regulation one and a howler that gave them a goal.  Reading were so fantastic they had a whole three shots on target.  No one would argue it was a classic, but I’d have taken that away at the side in 3rd with the best home record at that point.  We had many many similar away games under Farke, Lambert et al; a slightly stodgy 1-1 away from home against a form side really is not that bad.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Show me one post on here that claims Smith is a great manager. All I see is people saying “I don’t like him” despite the fact that we are second, level on points with the top. The “Militant Smith Collective” are simply stating facts. I have yet to see many, if any, actual facts to demonstrate the opposite point of view. Maybe that’s why you’ve made up the nonsense above, as you don’t have any actual evidence for your prejudices.

If we ignore “he drinks tea from a mug”, the most justified I’ve seen is that he didn’t keep us up and with the squad we have, we ought to be getting automatic promotion. Both of which are debatable, and people have done exactly that, debated it. It’s hardly a Stalin-esque attempt to shutdown opposing views but instead calling out unjustified statements.

No-one, and I challenge you to demonstrate otherwise, has said we couldn’t be playing with more flair and be more exciting, scoring more and a few points better off. But I suspect if you asked Smith what he thought after a few drinks (not tea), he would probably agree with most of those criticisms.

It’s not a personal thing - it’s because the football he gets us to play is turgid. We have the strongest squad in the league, with a multi-season, 20-goal striker. Getting automatic promotion is not debatable at all. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think there is genuine disbelief at the forlorn nature of half this board when we are…. Joint top of the league!

If we were joint top of the league playing decent football and looking like we are progressing, you might have a point. As it is, you don’t. 

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Oh really? As we sit level on points with top of the table in the automatic promotion slots on a nine game unbeaten run with 23 points out of the last possible 27, I would say it's those who 'aren't convinced' that Smith knows what he's doing and seem to want him sacked that are the ones who consider themselves so superior that they even know better than the evidence of the actual results. 

The points and league position are irrelevant if you are playing terrible football and not progressing as a football club. Sorry to be another of your ‘wastes of space’ - I will try harder to agree with your point of view next time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kirku said:

I'm still waiting for you to address your utterly absurd suggestion that Farke was against pressing.

I'd usually let it lie but the hypocrisy on show is too much.

He was against counter pressing high up the pitch generally. 

All you have to do is watch 90% of our matches under him when the opposition have the ball.

Especially in the Premier League, where it was consistently raised by fans and pundits that we didn't counter press under Farke whilst the other newly promoted clubs did.

2 minutes ago, astro said:

The points and league position are irrelevant if you are playing terrible football and not progressing as a football club. Sorry to be another of your ‘wastes of space’ - I will try harder to agree with your point of view next time. 

We arent playing "terrible" football. It's not even close to terrible football.

If you think this is terrible football you've lived an incredibly privileged life as a football fan where all you can remember is the second half of both of Farkes promotion seasons and literally nothing else.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, astro said:

If we were joint top of the league playing decent football and looking like we are progressing, you might have a point. As it is, you don’t. 

Why I disagree with you

It is your opinion it’s not a point. It’s a matter of fact we have the joint top amount of points at this stage. While clearly we aren’t in full flow, there is enough going right to win a majority of games.

This is exactly the same a Farke’s 2020 season. See link above.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was against counter pressing high up the pitch generally. 

All you have to do is watch 90% of our matches under him when the opposition have the ball.

Especially in the Premier League, where it was consistently raised by fans and pundits that we didn't counter press under Farke whilst the other newly promoted clubs did.

"Farke is keen to keep to their high pressing style of play that reaped dividends last year, but any deficiencies are going to be exposed time and again at the highest level."

"He gave the team a new identity and consistently implemented his idea of a 4-2-3-1 system with intensive, high pressing – even though his debut season ended in 14th place in the second English division."

"Despite wowing the Championship with their high-pressing football, Norwich struggled to adapt to the rigors of the top flight"

https://youtu.be/KTCmQ6ma4Hk

----

I think you're misremembering the majority of Farke's time at the club, perhaps it's recency bias, but it was only the 1/3 of last season, and the change in system and personnel, that changed his clear philosophy - and he was rightly criticised for it.

You cannot claim, with any factual basis, that he was "against high pressing generally" or that it represented "90% of our matches under him".

Certainly, credible people who know far more about football than me entirely disagree with you - like Tifo Football, who were acquired by The Athletic due to their tactical analysis videos (link above).

Edited by kirku

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

We arent playing "terrible" football. It's not even close to terrible football.

If you think this is terrible football you've lived an incredibly privileged life as a football fan where all you can remember is the second half of both of Farkes promotion seasons and literally nothing else.

We are playing terrible football, and have been playing terrible football for a year. No sign of progress. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Opening up our training to a wrongun because he's his mate. Deano please.

Embarrassing 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

If Terry gives Omobamidele a pointer or two, that can't be a bad thing, surely? Terry might be a complete Wayne Kerr, but he was a quality centre-half.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Terry gives Omobamidele a pointer or two, that can't be a bad thing, surely? Terry might be a complete Wayne Kerr, but he was a quality centre-half.

He'd probably prefer Hanley and Gibson to Omo.

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

He'd probably prefer Hanley and Gibson to Omo.

Depends on whose missus he's nailing, surely? 😉

2 hours ago, astro said:

It’s not a personal thing - it’s because the football he gets us to play is turgid. We have the strongest squad in the league, with a multi-season, 20-goal striker. Getting automatic promotion is not debatable at all. 

It certainly is. Check out how many times teams relegated from the Premier League come back up. It's nowhere near as cut-and-dried as many think, and especially the notion of coming back up automatically. That was what made Farke's second Championship something - the quick recovery from the downright abject Project Restart spell.

Smith's on course to do something similar with a team that appeared equally as brow-beaten as it stands, but obviously there's nearly three-quarters of the season to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, astro said:

Funny that, because at times in the past when you've been able to see what they're trying to do but we haven't been getting points, the detractors have insisted 'it's a results business'; now we have results in spite of still bedding in new players and injury problems that you'd quite reasonably expect to derail everything apparently it's ballet the detractors want. Seriously, don't you feel even a little bit stupid using words like 'terrible' with form like this?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Funny that, because at times in the past when you've been able to see what they're trying to do but we haven't been getting points, the detractors have insisted 'it's a results business'; now we have results in spite of still bedding in new players and injury problems that you'd quite reasonably expect to detail everything apparently it's ballet the detractors want. Seriously, don't you feel even a little bit stupid using words like 'terrible' with form like this?

It does seem that a huge amount of doubling down is going on.

Earlier in the season it was that Smith was a disaster and couldn’t win a game for toffee.  This is demonstrably untrue, so now that we’ve won 7 in 9 it’s the worst football we’ve ever seen.  I wonder what’s next….

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It certainly is. Check out how many times teams relegated from the Premier League come back up. It's nowhere near as cut-and-dried as many think, and especially the notion of coming back up automatically. That was what made Farke's second Championship something - the quick recovery from the downright abject Project Restart spell.

Smith's on course to do something similar with a team that appeared equally as brow-beaten as it stands, but obviously there's nearly three-quarters of the season to go.

Indeed, and for people like @astro who believe we're not progressing as a football club, his characterisation of promotion on the first time of asking after relegation as a minimum expectation rather than something the management deserves credit for is proof of how far we've progressed as a football club.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, astro said:

We are playing terrible football, and have been playing terrible football for a year. No sign of progress. 

Your fawning for Farke is making you delusional.

I'd agree we've not had complete performances but we've played some really good football at times and scored some really good team goals too.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

JT coming to Colney would probably be great for some of our young players. Don't like the bloke as a person but as a football player there's not many better examples.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

JT coming to Colney would probably be great for some of our young players. Don't like the bloke as a person but as a football player there's not many better examples.

Yeah especially for someone like Andrew.

18 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Good article in tonight’s Evening News by Chris Sutton saying fans should give Smith more credit.

As much as I liked Farke He is history now.  I don’t forget the 9 PL defeats after lock down.  Where was the motivation then?  

Smith has good experience of English football and was well liked at his previous clubs - even Villa.  Shakespeare was a coach at Leicester when they won the Premier League!

Football should be entertaining though and smiths football is like watching a wall dry with magnolia paint 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

If we win today it would be good if he walked round the pitch with the players 

I dont think he feels the need for the attention. Why any fans would want it either is beyond me. 

If only Roeder was told if he waved his arms up and down to the Barclay he could have had a statue outside Carrow Road