Sign in to follow this  

17 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Alright then, genius. What do you think Attanassio, owner of a billion dollar plus baseball franchise (200 million dollars value when he bought it; he has increased the value 600% over 20 years) has joined our board for?

Top quality cookery tips 

2 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Fcuk villa fans they proved they had no class years ago.

Ironic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

You would say that, considering you wet your pants at the start of the season when I pointed out xG suggested we'd start winning games, contrary to your moaning on here. And well, that was proven comprehensively correct, wasn't it? 😂

The XG table shows how ludicrous and pointless this statistic is.

3 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

No, it really doesn't prove that at all, unless you're incapable of contextual observation.

5 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I am enjoying Smith far more that the 10 consecutive defeats including 7 nil at Chelsea under Farke.

I believe we have far more chance of staying in premiership under Smith.... if we go up

We lost the first 6 under Farke - the 7-0 against Chelsea came after two draws.

Smith also managed a 6 game losing streak. Twice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

No, it really doesn't prove that at all, unless you're incapable of contextual observation.

I mean West Brom are top of the xg table but yeah it’s a proper stat that deserves great attention….

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

This guy clearly can’t remember Glenn Roeder or Peter grant 😂

Fun times... though would argue that 9 year period after we first were relegated from the prem was the worst... continuous mediocrity without troubling the table at either end until Worthy kick started something.

Good article in tonight’s Evening News by Chris Sutton saying fans should give Smith more credit.

As much as I liked Farke He is history now.  I don’t forget the 9 PL defeats after lock down.  Where was the motivation then?  

Smith has good experience of English football and was well liked at his previous clubs - even Villa.  Shakespeare was a coach at Leicester when they won the Premier League!

19 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

It only shows 8 games? This isn't current

15 minutes ago, kirku said:

We lost the first 6 under Farke - the 7-0 against Chelsea came after two draws.

Smith also managed a 6 game losing streak. Twice.

With a squad riddled with Covid - hardly a fair comparison. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Smith has good experience of English football and was well liked at his previous clubs - even Villa.  Shakespeare was a coach at Leicester when they won the Premier League!

Paul Lambert won the Champions League but he was too modest to tell people.

It really helped him become one of Ipswich's all time great managers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

there's a reply to that tweet (below) which explains a bit why people are so angry about xG. They don't understand what 'expected' means in this context. They think it means 'oh, I wasn't expecting that' whereas in reality it means something like 'on average, a team creating these chances would expect to score this number of goals'.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 20.18.03.png

Edited by Robert N. LiM

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

With a squad riddled with Covid - hardly a fair comparison. 

I've never known someone to be so enamoured with such an incredibly dull person and coach as you are with Smith.

Every thread, regular as clockwork. 

Besides which, I don't remember any Covid issues during his second losing streak.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

I've never known someone to be so enamoured with such an incredibly dull person and coach as you are with Smith.

Every thread, regular as clockwork. 

Besides which, I don't remember any Covid issues during his second losing streak.

Not at all - I just consider fairness rather than prejudice to be important when judging something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all - I just consider fairness rather than prejudice to be important when judging something.

Ah, yes, the old prejudice card.

That's the reason so many of us can't warm to Smith! We're secretly prejudiced against tea drinkers from Walsall.

It all makes sense now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

That's the reason so many of us can't warm to Smith! We're secretly prejudiced against tea drinkers from Walsall.

It all makes sense now.

Random - maybe you do not know what prejudice means?  It seems not - it is to pre-judge someone. A lot did this and gave him utterly no chance whatsoever, either last season or this, and are concentrating on the negative as a result.

Thing is I’ve long said that I’m really not that bothered who the manager is, be it Farke, Smith or whoever. But he or she deserves a decent chance.  Where we are with the injuries we have had is a reasonable start to the season. 

Edit: of definition from Oxford online dictionary: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience..

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

It all makes sense now.

If you can’t post something sensible why bother to post at all?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

there's a reply to that tweet (below) which explains a bit why people are so angry about xG. They don't understand what 'expected' means in this context. They think it means 'oh, I wasn't expecting that' whereas in reality it means something like 'on average, a team creating these chances would expect to score this number of goals'.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 20.18.03.png

Yes, I think there is a misunderstanding from some fans, unfortunately it's generally from those who don't want to do some reading about it, so I'm not sure how you educate? At the end of the day we all support football but there's no obligation to show any interest in stats. I just wish those who hadn't bothered doing any research would just avoid dismissing it instantly.

16 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Unfortunately it's a bit of a go-to for people who don't have any genuine substance behind their argument.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, I think there is a misunderstanding from some fans, unfortunately it's generally from those who don't want to do some reading about it, so I'm not sure how you educate? At the end of the day we all support football but there's no obligation to show any interest in stats. I just wish those who hadn't bothered doing any research would just avoid dismissing it instantly.

try once, fail and don't engage afterwards is my approach

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Unfortunately it's a bit of a go-to for people who don't have any genuine substance behind their argument.

I'm still waiting for you to address your utterly absurd suggestion that Farke was against pressing.

I'd usually let it lie but the hypocrisy on show is too much.

39 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Random - maybe you do not know what prejudice means?  It seems not - it is to pre-judge someone. A lot did this and gave him utterly no chance whatsoever, either last season or this, and are concentrating on the negative as a result.

Thing is I’ve long said that I’m really not that bothered who the manager is, be it Farke, Smith or whoever. But he or she deserves a decent chance.  Where we are with the injuries we have had is a reasonable start to the season. 

Edit: of definition from Oxford online dictionary: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience..

39 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

1) I understand that defending Smith is deadly serious for you but it was a joke, lighten up.

2) What I posted was the very definition of prejudice, as your handy dictionary quote shows

42 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

I'm sorry my posts don't meet your strict criteria for forum punditry, Myra.

I'll try and channel my inner Chris Sutton next time. He truly is one of the most respected football minds of his generation.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

1) I understand that defending Smith is deadly serious for you but it was a joke, lighten up.

2) What I posted was the very definition of prejudice, as your handy dictionary quote shows

Er, ok - maybe just in your own mind.  I’d suggest an early night, you appear rather confused. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Er, ok - maybe just in your own mind.  I’d suggest an early night, you appear rather confused. 

Good grief, you've got to the effort of quoting a dictionary and come out with this?

Jesus wept.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

Good grief, you've got to the effort of quoting a dictionary and come out with this?

Jesus wept.

Wow, you need to have rethink about what the word “effort” means.

”Jesus wept” indeed. 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sorry, but why is everyone continually going on about the ‘standard’ of the championship this season?  I think it’s much the same as usual....

My firm belief is that people don’t like Smith, so it’s straw-clutching: we’re doing ok so it must be that the rest are crap.

Absolutely. It is taken as given that the Championship standard is poorer this season as it supports the assertion that we are well up there despite playing "awful" football and being unentertaining to watch.

The reality is nobody has shown any proof of this whatsoever - but that doesn't suit those with an anti-Smith agenda.

I hope we can start hitting our potential in all aspects, rather than just results, if only so the fan-base can unify again. Bit sad to see people not feeling any positivity in a season where we are right up there again.

24 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow, you need to have rethink about what the word “effort” means.

”Jesus wept” indeed. 

Quick! Deano has just got Shakey to illuminate the tat signal.

Another fan has criticised his football and the recent performances.

There's only one noble poster who can save them from the grave menace of other people expressing their opinions.

Once more unto the breech, brave Bransto!

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kirku said:

Quick! Deano has just got Shakey to illuminate the tat signal.

Another fan has criticised his football and the recent performances.

There's only one noble poster who can save them from the grave menace of other people expressing their opinions.

Once more unto the breech, brave Bransto!

It's just the opinions are stupid and unreasonable given that we're doing well by any rational measure. If people want to persist with it, it's fair enough that others express their objections. 

Smith isn't pretending we're anything like perfect or as good as he wants us to be, so why do people insist on whining like spoilt children when those actively involved in making the club succeed are doing the business?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

9 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

SO the answer to this is simple. 

We get board to promise that there will be .............. lets say £100 M to invest if we go up . If we dont then £50 M for next year. Then Boom , we are all looking forward to dicking half the prem next season instead of being dicked.

Simples.

What’s simple is 1) your touching belief that “we” can get the board to promise anything, and 2) that we have £100m to invest.