Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Team for Sat.

Preston play 3-5-2, so would have been a great opportunity to give the system a go, it's just a shame Dimi isn't fit enough to do so as Byram is definitely not a wing-back

I'd imagine we'll go with an unchanged XI, but I agree with a few posters above who suggest using it as an opportunity to go 2 up top like Preston and see how Sargent and Pukki get on both being central.

Krul

Aarons Omo Hanley Byram

Gibbs

Ramsey Nunez McLean

Sargent Pukki

Set pieces could decide this game. Mazy runs from players like Cantwell, Dowell & Nunez will encourage a few reckless tackles outside the box. Achieving centrally-located free-kicks likely to make the best goal-scoring opportunities. Attacking full-backs + Hernandez need to win plenty of corners too...

Back 4 as usual, 3 at back ok if you have wing backs, we don't.  Would like to see Sara given another chance but where?  on left agaainst WBA, if this is his preferred position can't see why we signed him, if central put him Nunez and Gibbs together.  On the flanks Cantwell (left) and Onel (Right) but whoever they need to assist Max and Sam, Ramsey no help for Sam Tues.  Sarge up front Pukki benched looked cheesed off against Reading no assistance.

Expect to see Kenny again looked only ok Tues but best midfielder other than Gibbs, relying on this plodder illustrates the limitations of our midfield.

3 hours ago, AJ said:

Preston play 3-5-2, so would have been a great opportunity to give the system a go, it's just a shame Dimi isn't fit enough to do so as Byram is definitely not a wing-back

I'd imagine we'll go with an unchanged XI, but I agree with a few posters above who suggest using it as an opportunity to go 2 up top like Preston and see how Sargent and Pukki get on both being central.

Krul

Aarons Omo Hanley Byram

Gibbs

Ramsey Nunez McLean

Sargent Pukki

So why not go with my suggestion

Krul 

Omabamidele Hanley Gibson 

Aarons           Gibbs                 Sara

Nunez           Cantwell/ Ramsey

Pukki

Sargeant 

Perhaps  3 at the back bringing gibson back into the fold, Gibbs as the sheild, a game plan to deploy floppy legs to win wide free kicks,  load the pen area and let the set piece plans hit the spot.

Right now it does seem we can move the ball fast or accurately enough in the final third to break down a drilled defence,  and Preston will happily allow us the ball 40 yards from their goal confident we will be stifled and the ball shuffling across the pitch..    Can see Omo or Hanley having most passes / touches in the game tomorrow  

If Preston play 4-4-2 then i'd be tempted to match them and play both Pukki and Sargent together up top for this one. 

Given how solid defensively PNE are, I think we need as many creative players as possible to try to pick the lock. Would probably go 4231 with the usual defence, then

Nunez   Gibbs

Cantwell Ramsey Dowell

Pukki

Sarge and Onel on the bench if we need a plan B

1 hour ago, ZLF said:

a game plan to deploy floppy legs

is this specifically a reference to Todd or just a general strategy? 😉

On 05/10/2022 at 20:34, Pyro Pete said:

Ooh, I like your Tesco formation.

(well, apart from Gibson, obviously)

I like it.....could you go Byram instead of Gibson and bring the 'pointer man' in at wing back?? 

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Hi Rob

I have been thinking about this and I am wondering if this is more aimed at him not completing games as it has been quite a regular thing this season to see Teemu substituted around the 75 minute mark. Only a thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canarycop said:

So why not go with my suggestion

Krul 

Omabamidele Hanley Gibson 

Aarons           Gibbs                 Sara

Nunez           Cantwell/ Ramsey

Pukki

Sargeant 

Because Sara is not a left wing back.

48 minutes ago, AJ said:

Because Sara is not a left wing back.

But when we bought him his apparent strengths were in the air. He could drop deep and was technically strong defensively as well as going forward. If we are going to have Gibbs and Hayden as the two holding midfielders which, if they click, could be good enough for the EPL then where does Sara fit in. If he has the engine then why not give it a go. He could be a sensation. I am thinking a bit out of the box but there is a reason he isn't playing. Is he being groomed for a role. 

8 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Still notice posters with Ramsey in their team - I was OK with giving him game time against the weaker teams but his performs are beginning to cost us points. We simply can't afford a player in there that is totally useless ! Against Reading he basically didn't do a thing right !! OK a couple of times he passed it backwards but we need all three attacking players as outlets and contributing. Smith could have gone to his old club and got us a real decent player - no he got us a youth player and tried playing him in the the 2nd hardest league in the land. Ramsey is not a player to put in against battle hard pros. When we are 3 nil up is the only time I'd put him on. I'm not against putting on youngsters - look at Gibbs he's good !

Weird! I think I must have been watching a different season. To my mind Ramsey has probably been the most creative player in the side so far this season (I believe he has most assists). He had a poor game against Reading and was rightly substituted, but to claim from that that he is "totally useless" is itself totally bonkers. Norwich is not going to secure victories against the more physical teams by trying to outdo their physicality. We will win games by utilizing the superior skills of our players. Especially against a team like Preston we will need players who can unlock the defence with an imaginative and skilful pass or turn, something Ramsey has demonstrated the capability to do. I can also imagine a scenario in which his trickery induces a foul and Nunez dispatches into the top corner. So, he would start for me, and if after 60 minutes he proves to have been ineffective we make use of one of the 5 substitutions that gives us plenty of scope to change tactic.

Jaberry2, I watch a replay of the games so know what every player is doing. As we play the tougher teams we need players that can win their individual battles. We lack creativity cos our team is not that of a couple of seasons ago. Without the Germans and Buendia creating goals is difficult. We need players that can win their 50/50 balls and initiate attacks that will create chances. He hasn't done that. He has assisted for goals against Sunderland and Coventry - but he only passed the ball after he was set up. Against Coventry I very much doubt he would have scored if he didn't have the Sargent option. Wide left might not be his position but we can't carry players. On Tuesday the coaching staff needed to have the sense to take him off at halftime, failed to and we conceded the equalizer.

So is it the player or the manager and the formation. It would suggest to me the latter. Ramsey has been one of our better players, but when you have few better options what are you meant to go with. Sargeant and Ramsey in wide options aren't the answer. But neither really is Sinani etc

Jaberry2, I watch a replay of the games so know what every player is doing. As we play the tougher teams we need players that can win their individual battles. We lack creativity cos our team is not that of a couple of seasons ago. Without the Germans and Buendia creating goals is difficult. We need players that can win their 50/50 balls and initiate attacks that will create chances. He hasn't done that. He has assisted for goals against Sunderland and Coventry - but he only passed the ball after he was set up. Against Coventry I very much doubt he would have scored if he didn't have the Sargent option. Wide left might not be his position but we can't carry players. On Tuesday the coaching staff needed to have the sense to take him off at halftime, failed to and we conceded the equalizer.

You seem to be somewhat desperate to persecute Ramsey for some reason. The stats simply do not justify your criticisms of his contributions. He is not in the squad as a ball-winning mid-fielder, and to criticise him for not having originally won the balls that he has subsequently passed for an assist is frankly weird. Likewise, your last comment; it would make just as much sense to say the coaching staff were wise not to take him off at half-time because we scored while he was on the pitch. Just what error do you think he committed that lead to the Reading equaliser?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/norwich-city/top-scorers/assists

Rank Name AssistsA GoalsGL PlayedP Chances Created Chances per 90 Total Passes Passes Complete Passes Incomplete Pass Accuracy
The statistics shown for each player include any goals they may have scored in the following competitions in the current season: Championship, EFL Cup
Teemu PukkiPukki

3 4 12 9 0.75 98 70 28 71%
Danel SinaniSinani

3 2 11 11 1.00 257 203 54 79%
Aaron RamseyA Ramsey

3 0 12 11 0.92 256 211 45 82%
Joshua SargentSargent

2 6 13 12 0.92 198 148 -No data 75%
Kieran DowellDowell

1 1 11 8 0.73 240 191 49 80%
Marcelino NúñezNúñez

1 1 12 21 1.75 589 474 115 80%
Grant HanleyHanley

1 1 12 0 0.00 716 640 76 89%
Gabriel SaraGomes Sara

1 0 9 4 0.44 131 108 23 82%
Milot RashicaRashica

1 0 5 4 0.80 91 59 32 65%
Kenny McLeanMcLean

1 0 14 7 0.50 773 631 142 82%

5 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

So is it the player or the manager and the formation. It would suggest to me the latter. Ramsey has been one of our better players, but when you have few better options what are you meant to go with. Sargeant and Ramsey in wide options aren't the answer. But neither really is Sinani etc

You're right  - it's not his natural position. Hernandez is a better option out wide but is deployed as a impact sub against a tiring defence which makes sense. Hope Cantwell's back or we may have to start Hernandez from the beginning. 

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

You seem to be somewhat desperate to persecute Ramsey for some reason. The stats simply do not justify your criticisms of his contributions. He is not in the squad as a ball-winning mid-fielder, and to criticise him for not having originally won the balls that he has subsequently passed for an assist is frankly weird. Likewise, your last comment; it would make just as much sense to say the coaching staff were wise not to take him off at half-time because we scored while he was on the pitch. Just what error do you think he committed that lead to the Reading equaliser?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/norwich-city/top-scorers/assists

Rank Name AssistsA GoalsGL PlayedP Chances Created Chances per 90 Total Passes Passes Complete Passes Incomplete Pass Accuracy
The statistics shown for each player include any goals they may have scored in the following competitions in the current season: Championship, EFL Cup
Teemu PukkiPukki

3 4 12 9 0.75 98 70 28 71%
Danel SinaniSinani

3 2 11 11 1.00 257 203 54 79%
Aaron RamseyA Ramsey

3 0 12 11 0.92 256 211 45 82%
Joshua SargentSargent

2 6 13 12 0.92 198 148 -No data 75%
Kieran DowellDowell

1 1 11 8 0.73 240 191 49 80%
Marcelino NúñezNúñez

1 1 12 21 1.75 589 474 115 80%
Grant HanleyHanley

1 1 12 0 0.00 716 640 76 89%
Gabriel SaraGomes Sara

1 0 9 4 0.44 131 108 23 82%
Milot RashicaRashica

1 0 5 4 0.80 91 59 32 65%
Kenny McLeanMcLean

1 0 14 7 0.50 773 631 142 82%

In the time he was on the pitch against Reading Ramsey gave the ball away/lost the ball almost everytime he had it. On the two occasions he didn't lose the ball he  passed it backwards. He either dribbled the ball out over the touchline, lost it to the opposition player, failed to beat his man in a foot race, failed to pass forward accurately or just got  knock off the ball. Basically the Reading player marking him "had him on toast" I'm not unfairly targeting him, he was just the most ineffective Norwich player on the pitch and needed to be subbed straight away.  I'm OK with waiting until halftime. He didn't influence the goal we scored. He wasn't directly at fault for their goal - but (1) the best form of defence is attack. We needed our output players to hold onto the ball and deprive Reading off it and (2) the commentators said we "switched-off" when Hendrick chested the ball down, he evaded a charging Nunez , Ramsey was next to Nunez's starting position but failed to get his body between Hendrick and our goal, instead stood there like a rabbit in headlights. Hendrick scores - 2 points thrown away - I knew with our lack of creativity we wouldn't be able to score again. With the way we're playing those 2 points may well be the difference at the end season. The coaching team should have subbed him off so not entirely his fault. 

I agree he's not in the team as a ball winner but neither is Pukki. He's in the team to initiate attacks and create chances, unlock a tight defence as many on here would say. Against Reading who had already conceded 16 goals this season, he failed to create a single chance didn't he ? I expect him to be more a "ball player" not just a player that crosses in the ball.

Sometimes you can't go by the stats alone, one good game against the bottom club would distort the figures. 

5 hours ago, Six Pack said:

In the time he was on the pitch against Reading Ramsey gave the ball away/lost the ball almost everytime he had it. On the two occasions he didn't lose the ball he  passed it backwards. He either dribbled the ball out over the touchline, lost it to the opposition player, failed to beat his man in a foot race, failed to pass forward accurately or just got  knock off the ball. Basically the Reading player marking him "had him on toast" I'm not unfairly targeting him, he was just the most ineffective Norwich player on the pitch and needed to be subbed straight away.  I'm OK with waiting until halftime. He didn't influence the goal we scored. He wasn't directly at fault for their goal - but (1) the best form of defence is attack. We needed our output players to hold onto the ball and deprive Reading off it and (2) the commentators said we "switched-off" when Hendrick chested the ball down, he evaded a charging Nunez , Ramsey was next to Nunez's starting position but failed to get his body between Hendrick and our goal, instead stood there like a rabbit in headlights. Hendrick scores - 2 points thrown away - I knew with our lack of creativity we wouldn't be able to score again. With the way we're playing those 2 points may well be the difference at the end season. The coaching team should have subbed him off so not entirely his fault. 

I agree he's not in the team as a ball winner but neither is Pukki. He's in the team to initiate attacks and create chances, unlock a tight defence as many on here would say. Against Reading who had already conceded 16 goals this season, he failed to create a single chance didn't he ? I expect him to be more a "ball player" not just a player that crosses in the ball.

Sometimes you can't go by the stats alone, one good game against the bottom club would distort the figures. 

I think you're being harsh on Ramsey. He's been one of our better attacking options over the last few games. When he came, I thought we'd only loaned him because he came from Villa, but Smith was right on this one IMO - Ramsey's a very promising young player.

But he's not a winger. Nor is Sargent. I remember a few months ago there were people on here saying 'how many wingers do we want?' And suddenly we have none, except for Hernandez. Even if we'd kept Tzolis, he's not a winger either IMO.

I really hope Smith reconsiders 4-3-3 because at the moment I think it's having a negative effect on Pukki, Sargent and Ramsey.

7 hours ago, Six Pack said:

So that's one game in which he was certainly poor and was rightly substituted. Your original claim was that posters on here were wrong to select him as their preference against PNE because, "We simply can't afford a player in there that is totally useless". Name a single footballer who hasn't had a poor game. The stats are a clear indication that he has been one of the most productive players this season, and that's certainly supported by the evidence I and others have seen on the pitch. Frankly, I find your desperate attempt to make him "secondarily" to blame for the Reading goal somewhat farcical. Firstly, he was covering Hoilett, secondly, both Gibbs and Handley were closer to Hendrick than he was.

Btw, I'm impressed with your psychic skills such that you "knew with our lack of creativity we wouldn't be able to score again" (and that was even after Ramsey's substitution). I must have dreamt that moment when Omo was inches away from doing just that, along with the last 20 minutes of the game. I'm assuming with such knowledge you must have made a massive bet on a draw and are now sunning it up on some foreign beach.

52 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So that's one game in which he was certainly poor and was rightly substituted. Your original claim was that posters on here were wrong to select him as their preference against PNE because, "We simply can't afford a player in there that is totally useless". Name a single footballer who hasn't had a poor game. The stats are a clear indication that he has been one of the most productive players this season, and that's certainly supported by the evidence I and others have seen on the pitch. Frankly, I find your desperate attempt to make him "secondarily" to blame for the Reading goal somewhat farcical. Firstly, he was covering Hoilett, secondly, both Gibbs and Handley were closer to Hendrick than he was.

Btw, I'm impressed with your psychic skills such that you "knew with our lack of creativity we wouldn't be able to score again" (and that was even after Ramsey's substitution). I must have dreamt that moment when Omo was inches away from doing just that, along with the last 20 minutes of the game. I'm assuming with such knowledge you must have made a massive bet on a draw and are now sunning it up on some foreign beach.

It has to be horses for courses. Against WBA and Reading he was totally ineffective. So he is useless against these tough sides. OK against Coventry and Bristol City who are not organised he will impress the unsavvy. It's not psychic you can see the way Reading was playing that changes were going to be limited - clear chances. For the record I never bet against us to lose or draw. Against any opposition even if we're up against it I hope for a positive result ! I predicted a 1-0 win for us at Reading but sometimes we don't get everything we wish for - people stuff up !