Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Team for Sat.

Back four picks itself plus Pukki of course. That leaves five from a fair few. Can’t see Onel or Todd starting but IMO Gibbs is now a definite.

That leaves four from seven :Sarge, Kenny, Nunez, Sara, Dowell, Sinani, and Ramsey.

Have I missed anyone ?

Preston have conceded only 4 goals in the league this season and will come to park the bus so creativity will be key. 

The back 4 picks itself and it now seems Pukki, Sargent and McLean are all undroppable so it would seem. Add to that Gibbs who's been excellent all season and Sinani, Dowell and Sara not really showing any sort of form, then I'm not expecting much change.

I expect us to be unchanged and another 'pragmatic' performance. It could be a rather tedious afternoon! 

If back four pick themselves, then I'd suggest a 4-4-2 with Pukki/Sarg up front, and Gibbs/Mclean in the middle, with Nunez and Hernandez/Cantwell out wide.

Sara clearly taking much longer to get up to speed than we'd hoped

• Like 1

Unless you okay 4-4-2 I don’t see how you can fit Sargent and Pukki in the same team, for me that’s one of the main reasons we are lacking creativity in the final third is by shoehorning Sargent on the wing when it’s clearly not his position 

• Like 4

Unless we go 442 I wouldn't play pukki. Look much more dangerous with Sargent up top. If gonna stay 433 it doesn't suit pukki. 4231 with pukki and dowell feeding him

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I just hope Cantwell is fit, we look so much better with him on the left

Have to agree with this. Desperately need the creativity he offers going forward. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

Have to agree with this. Desperately need the creativity he offers going forward. 

His work rate and forward passes are key. He doesn’t create cutting edge chances, but he is doing a very underrated job for the team 

Back 4 as you were

McLean out for Sara, Sargent + Ramsey out for Sinani and Cantwell (if sticking with 4-3-3). 

If it's anything goes- 

Sara     Gibbs    McLean

Nunez      Ramsey

Pukki

Either that or a diamond in midfield. 

We've got the option of five subs.

Give the midfield five until half time. If it's still crap, sub the lot of them.

It's the only way they'll learn.

I think set pieces are key to a result this weekend. I’m thinking park the bus from them, loads of corners from us. Might see some success as they are starting to suggest promise. I’d not play Cantwell (shock) as I don’t think he offers any creativity. 

I don’t think the back four picks itself, I would much rather have McLean at LB than Byram. I don’t think Byram offers us anything there especially when you consider Preston will probably come to park the bus and sit narrow. Our play will only go inside if Byram is there as he doesn’t ever go on the outside. 
I would also play Hernandez on the left as he offers us pace and to stretch the opposition, he’s the only player who offers us that and we look a lot better when we have that variety in our game to switch it.

So for me the team would be;

GK. Krul

LB. McLean

CB. Hanley

CB. Andy

RB. Aarons

CM. Gibbs 

CM. Nunez 

AML. Hernandez

AMC. Cantwell (if fit)

AMR. Sargent

ST. Pukki

11 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Ooh, I like your Tesco formation.

(well, apart from Gibson, obviously)

When we signed Sara a lot was made of his ability to get up and down the pitch saying he was strong defensively as well as an attacking threat. Just a random thought but how about

Krul 

Omabamidele Hanley Gibson

Aaron's Gibbs Nunez Sara

Cantwell Pukki

Sergeant

Sara and Aaron's to drop in whe defending to make a 4 or 5 but still allowing Gibbs to sit in front and give us an attacking outlet

Rather than simply pick ‘a winning side’ rather see us try to develop the team and the player to a higher level and that needs tweaking it.    

Apart from in goal, we have little competition for the defensive spots due to injury which picks itself.   

Like to see 

Gibbs and Nunez in midfield 

Sinani, Cantwell, Hernandez 

Pukki

Sinani needs games to grow his confidence so we can see what he can do and Sargent is a forward so should be back up to Pukki or we play a system with 2 up front.

Have been saying this for yrs now, McLean just isn’t good enough even at this level.  Puts in plenty of effort but constructively he is poor.   Makes the wrong choices far too often and gets caught flat footed in dangerous areas.   Have had enough of watching him in our team.  

Plenty of speculation about Sara, is he good enough? Well unless he gets a run of games we aren’t going to find out, but one thing is for sure, he should be a fit enough by now so why isn’t he getting an opportunity?   The alternative to above would be 

Sara Gibbs

Sinani Nunez Cantwell 

Pukki.    

15 hours ago, RugbyCanary said:

Unless we go 442 I wouldn't play pukki. Look much more dangerous with Sargent up top. If gonna stay 433 it doesn't suit pukki. 4231 with pukki and dowell feeding him

hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha. please stop watching football.

Think I'd try 4-2-3-1 here, and tell the full-backs to get moving - so have picked accordingly.

GK: Tim KRUL
LB: Kenny MCLEAN
LCB: Grant HANLEY
RCB: Andrew OMOBAMIDELE
RB: Max AARONS
DM: Liam GIBBS
DM: Gabriel SARA
LAM: Todd CANTWELL (if recovered, Kieran DOWELL if otherwise)
CAM: Marcelino NUNEZ
RAM: Josh SARGENT
CF: Teemu PUKKI

Hernandez should come at these off the bench although I understand why people think he should start as he would provide natural width. However, I'd say we should get them tired first by keeping the ball and making them run around. His brand of explosiveness isn't best harnessed over 90-minute stints and he's also our best dribbler in tight spaces against low blocks.

Unless we play a 3-5-2, this is probably a good game to rest Pukki. Preston will play the lowest of low blocks which means Pukki will be totally ineffective unless we get our noses in front and PNE start to chase the game.

I haven't seen Preston, their results suggest they are very tight defensively. So although it's becoming a bit unfashionable I'd start Pukki as he's our best bet to score a goal.

If Pukki's fit he starts for me. Whoever the opposition is.

Unless there's injuries I think the team will probably be unchanged.

How is Hayden getting along ?

I have read about running again but in truth how far does that leave him from the subs bench at least ?

And why do i have this nagging thought that even if he does make a start or two he might not make the rest of the season.

17 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul

Aarons Omobomidele Hanley Byram

Nunez     Sara

Ramsay      Sargent      Cantwell

Pukki

Got a lot of time for this.

I'd like tk see Sarge in the number 10 role, he'd cause havoc there I think

55 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Got a lot of time for this.

I'd like tk see Sarge in the number 10 role, he'd cause havoc there I think

My thoughts too...he has to be around the box centrally, we're not getting the most out of him shoving him out wide

Convinved Sargent playing just off Pukki (or vice versa) would work

I'd also start Sargent up top rather than Pukki. This league is just a physical battle 99% of the time and unless we start playing to Pukki's strengths there's no point him starting over Sargent who can hold up the ball and go for headers. 

---

KRUL

AARONS

OMOBAMIDELE

HANLEY

BYRAM

---

RAMSEY

SARA 

GIBBS

NUNEZ

HERNANDEZ

---

SARGENT

Still notice posters with Ramsey in their team - I was OK with giving him game time against the weaker teams but his performs are beginning to cost us points. We simply can't afford a player in there that is totally useless ! Against Reading he basically didn't do a thing right !! OK a couple of times he passed it backwards but we need all three attacking players as outlets and contributing. Smith could have gone to his old club and got us a real decent player - no he got us a youth player and tried playing him in the the 2nd hardest league in the land. Ramsey is not a player to put in against battle hard pros. When we are 3 nil up is the only time I'd put him on. I'm not against putting on youngsters - look at Gibbs he's good !

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Still notice posters with Ramsey in their team - I was OK with giving him game time against the weaker teams but his performs are beginning to cost us points. We simply can't afford a player in there that is totally useless ! Against Reading he basically didn't do a thing right !! OK a couple of times he passed it backwards but we need all three attacking players as outlets and contributing. Smith could have gone to his old club and got us a real decent player - no he got us a youth player and tried playing him in the the 2nd hardest league in the land. Ramsey is not a player to put in against battle hard pros. When we are 3 nil up is the only time I'd put him on. I'm not against putting on youngsters - look at Gibbs he's good !

Durp. I mean, one bad game does not constitute being useless. 

33 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Durp. I mean, one bad game does not constitute being useless. 

Jaberry2, I watch a replay of the games so know what every player is doing. As we play the tougher teams we need players that can win their individual battles. We lack creativity cos our team is not that of a couple of seasons ago. Without the Germans and Buendia creating goals is difficult. We need players that can win their 50/50 balls and initiate attacks that will create chances. He hasn't done that. He has assisted for goals against Sunderland and Coventry - but he only passed the ball after he was set up. Against Coventry I very much doubt he would have scored if he didn't have the Sargent option. Wide left might not be his position but we can't carry players. On Tuesday the coaching staff needed to have the sense to take him off at halftime, failed to and we conceded the equalizer.