Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Liam Gibbs

Lots of negativity on here today about Smith and performance standards which is a shame for Gibbs as he is really starting to shine and deserves a thread for his performance last night. I think he's going to be an exceptional player, made all the better by the fact we got him for nothing from down the road. 

Smith clearly has his faults (I can't stand him) but he is similar to Farke in that he is prepared to put his trust in youngsters like Gibbs and Andrew O. 

Long may they be here. But they won't, obviously. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Smith clearly has his faults (I can't stand him) but he is similar to Farke in that he is prepared to put his trust in youngsters like Gibbs and Andrew O. 

I don't see it as putting trust in those, as they're what I'd consider the obvious/safer options.

Gibson vs Andy is an easy choice, and I see no other defensive mid option than Gibbs - so he's just playing the best in any given position.

For me, putting trust in a player would be giving extended minutes to someone like Sara who has potential but not able to display it and needs the minutes.

Gibbs has been simply incredible though, was already impressed but last night he was doing things I didn't know were in his locker.  Almost to the point where I was wanting him further up the field.

It's only himself, Nunez and Ramsay who seem confident with the ball.

Edited by Google Bot

The players are picking themselves, Gibbs is our only true DM, and Omo is better than Gibson.

I genuinely think Gibbs is potentially more important than Hayden/Sara at this stage

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Gibbs is a DM, much more of a box to box player, his game is similar to a Johnny Howson type. 

8 minutes ago, Bovril said:

I wouldn't say Gibbs is a DM, much more of a box to box player, his game is similar to a Johnny Howson type. 

Agreed! He showed last night that he is capable of rapidly turning defence into attack with skilful surging runs, and able to pick an incisive pass. That could prove crucial to making Smith's counterattacking set ups work effectively. With a genuine CDM (Hayden) behind, and Gibbs and Nunez just in front, I think might well have a midfield engine room capable of producing the fluent fast flowing football that we crave.

• Like 4

Anyone any idea on the next off the belt?

Sadly I don't think there are any on loan that are looking like they have a future here 😕

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh look, another thread unnecessarily slagging off the Smith. Well done.  A thread about Gibbs would be fine on its own…. 

Smith needs to enter the lottery if his luck is even half of what some on here think it is.

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Sadly I don't think there are any on loan that are looking like they have a future here 😕

If my FM22 save is anything to go by, Jaden Warner and Abu Kamara..... 😁

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Thanks 1

Gibbs is a very impressive 19? Year old ! In a very demanding position yet has slotted in beautifully imo. Not getting into the Smith thing , that's for Mugs😏. Excited enough about him to tell friends here about him. Their response?     "Liam? ..is he Irish, does he want to be? "

😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Agreed! He showed last night that he is capable of rapidly turning defence into attack with skilful surging runs, and able to pick an incisive pass. That could prove crucial to making Smith's counterattacking set ups work effectively. With a genuine CDM (Hayden) behind, and Gibbs and Nunez just in front, I think might well have a midfield engine room capable of producing the fluent fast flowing football that we crave.

I was at Reading last night and he was 'head and shoulders' our best player despite being 'only' 19 and his first match back from what had looked like a very serious ankle injury. I hadn't seen those surging runs you mention before so that showed a new side of his game that is likely to propel him into an outstanding player. Major problem though - we all know from bitter experience how this will pan out. IF his performance last night is a 'benchmark' and he retains his place in the team, then irrespective of promotion or not it's more than likely that the vultures will circle next summer, Webber will put a price on his head and sell him off appropriately. Best enjoy him for the next six months or so because that's all we'll get!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Smith out 

Never knew he was gay in the first place. Glad he feels comfortable to come out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Turning into a very good player, not sure his best position, but certainly if Nunez finds for, Sara comes in then McLean must be at risk. Not sure if Harden will ever get fit enough this season, certainly wouldn’t risk any serious money on him unless he’s released by Newcastle…….Gibbs, Sara & Nunez are they the answer for the premiership?

46 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

...Jesus don't go into a career of standup. I don't think the world could cope with that rapier wit.

TBF, there's not a lot of competition on this board.

Apart from me of course, I'm hilarious.

21 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh look, another thread unnecessarily slagging off the Smith. Well done.  A thread about Gibbs would be fine on its own…. 

Really? When you posted this, the only mention of Smith had been that he had his faults but was like Farke in that he is prepared to give youth a chance and a reference to how Gibbs might prove useful in Smith's counterattacking set ups. For sure, the OP caveats that he can't stand him, but it's in the same sentence as some praise. What do you want him to do? Lie to keep you happy?

I could have understood your post if it followed Nexus_Canary's wonderfully useful contribution, but before it? Weird.

Gibbs slotted straight back in as though he'd never been away and never been injured. It's frustrating some players take so long to settle and get fit.

Credit to Smith for picking him and developing him. Same as Ramsey to some extent.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Really? When you posted this, the only mention of Smith had been that he had his faults but was like Farke in that he is prepared to give youth a chance and a reference to how Gibbs might prove useful in Smith's counterattacking set ups. For sure, the OP caveats that he can't stand him, but it's in the same sentence as some praise. What do you want him to do? Lie to keep you happy?

I could have understood your post if it followed Nexus_Canary's wonderfully useful contribution, but before it? Weird.

That’s just utter garbage - the opening post contained “Smith clearly has his faults (I can't stand him)”.  That’s just totally unnecessary and obviously what I was referring to.  As I believe I’m entitled to.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s just utter garbage - the opening post contained “Smith clearly has his faults (I can't stand him)”.  That’s just totally unnecessary and obviously what I was referring to.  As I believe I’m entitled to.

Jesus, if that's the level you're going to get prickled by then I suggest forums aren't really for you. It certainly didn't cause "a thread" for slagging off Smith. You're entitled to believe otherwise of course, just like people are entitled to believe the earth is flat.

36 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Jesus, if that's the level you're going to get prickled by then I suggest forums aren't really for you. It certainly didn't cause "a thread" for slagging off Smith. You're entitled to believe otherwise of course, just like people are entitled to believe the earth is flat.

Odd comment - I’ve been posting here for over 18 years!

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

...Jesus don't go into a career of standup. I don't think the world could cope with that rapier wit.

Whereas actually he did

Who can forget his mammoth length gig.... the Sermon on the Mount (which was a bit misleading as he didn't sit on a horse).  Though I'm afraid that was pretty much par for the course for his career. Plenty of followers on Facebook of revelations, but too few gags. Last review I read talked of the audience turning on him. Crucified, was the word used.  Personally I think he should have stuck to the conjuring stuff. Great little trick with the water and wine. I think he now puts out some football blog, and writes stuff about those across the border. Dropped the stage name Cheeses of Nazruth, and pens under Bloomstein, or something.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Gibbs slotted straight back in as though he'd never been away and never been injured. It's frustrating some players take so long to settle and get fit.

Credit to Smith for picking him and developing him. Same as Ramsey to some extent.

Very surprised at his rapid development. I had expected him to be around the U23s, and then maybe out on loan for a season in LI or Scotland. Shows how well our scouts can work. Though some you win, some you don't - Martin, Bushiri, Soto, Adshead, Famewo

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Odd comment - I’ve been posting here for over 18 years!

I've been an adult for 18 years. Doesn't mean I'm well equipped for it.

2 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Whereas actually he did

Who can forget his mammoth length gig.... the Sermon on the Mount (which was a bit misleading as he didn't sit on a horse).  Though I'm afraid that was pretty much par for the course for his career. Plenty of followers on Facebook of revelations, but too few gags. Last review I read talked of the audience turning on him. Crucified, was the word used.  Personally I think he should have stuck to the conjuring stuff. Great little trick with the water and wine. I think he now puts out some football blog, and writes stuff about those across the border. Dropped the stage name Cheeses of Nazruth, and pens under Bloomstein, or something.

Have you been drinking?

On 05/10/2022 at 19:06, NeymarSmith said:

Sorry to hear of your confusion @corbs Bali Mumba aside, who is out on loan looking like one for the future really? Saxon early and the goalkeepers are far far too young. Bali is closest and let's be fair, he is way of premier League level. Would be interesting to see how he went in this league this year but they decided a year playing a league below regularly is best for him (hard to disprove this of being a good idea, seeing as he is playing, and max obviously would be Infront of him, unless ofc we olayed him.firther forward)