I think Kenny is a good squad player at this level but he should not be ever present with the other wealth of talent we have and while we look bereft of scoring from open play. Blackpool we got a point cause their defender passed to Pukki and Reading we scored from a corner. Seriously lacking in creativity. 

The real concern is Sara and Hayden ones hardly played and the others not played at all , that's why Kenny's still getting picked every week despite his limitations, we need to give Sara a run in the side and see what this highly rated player is about, Sorenson will add more competition to the mix when he returns too.the midfield balance is all wrong at the moment however were still second and it will click. Otbc 😁

11 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Krul

Aarons 

Byram

Hanley

Omabamidele 

Gibbs

McLean

Nunez

Sargent

Cantwell

Ramsey

Pukki

Hernandez maybe

It's difficult really because how do you compare these players with Kenny. At the end of the day he has started the games in his position. So comparing most of these is unrelatable. 

For instance Hanley's arguably been our best central defender. If we have to do worst I'd say Gibson. But would it be fair to say Gibson because he's not 'a starter'. So maybe it's Omabamidele

Tough calls to make.

Edited by nutty nigel

12 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

He's the archetypal Webber-era Norwich player. Good in the Championship, poor in the PL. 5ft9 with no pace, strength or dribbling ability. Likes to pass and move but doesn't like to tackle, run with the the ball or shoot. Has a good attitude, cares about the club and is a nice guy but lacks that ruthless edge and composure. He's the typical Norwich player but he gets picked because he covers ground, follows instruction and is one of the rare players in our team who can win a header, plus I didn't see anyone on the bench today who i thought should start ahead of him. 

But i get why people are frustrated. When we as a team are playing too slowly, too much backwards and sideways, too many short simple passes and he's the main culprit of that I get why it would wind people up. He's not as good or bad as people who are divided in their opinion of him seem to think he is. He offers quite a lot at this level but is also a frustratingly limited and risk averse player in some ways, especially as the current successful trend in football has moved towards pace, athleticism and direct running when it comes to midfielders. 

On a side note I continue to be impressed by Gibbs. He can run with the ball, beat players and set up counter attacks which is very useful. 

Kenny is 6ft, and one of our most physically imposing players.  Maybe he wouldn't be if we had a 'bigger' squad, but we don't, so there it is.

2 hours ago, Shining White said:

I am massively in the Kenny-out camp, but watching the first half from the away end last night Kenny was the only player looking to link up our crab-like centre backs and the rest of the team. He was all over the place as he was the only player we had who was actively looking for the ball and to move it away from the back four. I thought he had a really good first half, and it really pains me to say that. Second half he visibly tired but still didn't wind me up as much as Byram, Aarons who constantly checked back and the massively dissapointing Nunez. It's all about opinions but Kenny fractionally changed mine in that first 45

I think we've missed Cantwell. People point to no goals, no assists, but he has done a hell of a lot of the water-carrying so far this season, and when he doesn't play the gap between our defence and attack seems to grow even bigger.

43 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That backs up everything I've said about him though. Basically 'good in the dressing room'. Nobody ever talks about how Messi was good in the dressing room. As Roy Keane said, what does that even mean? Does he play guitar and sing a song before you go out? He needs to be good on the pitch, not in the dressing room.

No, that isn't what Norfolk's contact was saying, nor what the other ex-professionals were saying. You've now decided that everything Norfolk said was limited to 'dressing room' which has little to do with what he actually said.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Orly said:

Kenny is 6ft, and one of our most physically imposing players.  Maybe he wouldn't be if we had a 'bigger' squad, but we don't, so there it is.

He isn't. I've seen him in person a few times and he's just a shade shorter than me and im 5'10. I wasn't saying he's short, just unremarkable physically which sums up a lot of our team. 

Kenny had a decent game defensively and covered a huge amount of ground. Unfortunately his distribution let him down massively on a couple of occasions. He was still way ahead of Ramsay and Nunez last night though in terms of performance.

Ramsey was completely anonymous and I barely recall him touching the ball. Nunez was equally as wayward with his distribution (inc a great chance to put us 2 nil up) and horrendous defensively (inc the goal conceded).

So whilst I’m not saying Kenny IS a better player than Ramsey and Nunez, last night he WAS. So it seems an odd time to be Kenny-bashing! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Interesting, but again doesn't change my view that if he is still in our starting line up should we get promoted, it really will be same again. Nothing in this ex-pro's view is a ringing endorsement of Kenny as a game changing player, which someone in his natural position should be. But time for this to change, Sara may yet come good.

My real fear for this season is Kenny is being used as the fulcrum for our revitalised set piece plays, especially corners. We'll never shift him from the starting line up now and maybe why Sara is not getting a look in!  That pragmatism from Deano again, all angles covered.

He did state that he was not a PL player 

but was explaining a club needs a kenny and i understand that now 

this is not a ex pro being nice to Kenny this was a insight of sometimes Effort and hardwork can beat talent if talent does not work hard type of chat 

he was not saying kenny was the best player or anything like that he said he works and works and will run through a brick wall type 

I'm not sure where people are getting Kenny is 6ft, having met him he's exactly the same height as me, I'm 5ft9. I'm quite happy to tell people I'm 6ft though 😁

18 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

He did state that he was not a PL player 

but was explaining a club needs a kenny and i understand that now 

this is not a ex pro being nice to Kenny this was a insight of sometimes Effort and hardwork can beat talent if talent does not work hard type of chat 

he was not saying kenny was the best player or anything like that he said he works and works and will run through a brick wall type 

Yes, he should not be starting in the Prem but I also think fans can't have it both ways.

Most of the ones slating Kenny are also the ones slating Smith.

Well if Smith has us 2nd without a recognised left back,  recognised DM and a central midfielder not good enough for the championship then Smith is an absolute mastermind!

18 hours ago, Yobocop said:

It’s an urban myth, don’t be drawn into the pointing thing, every player does it….

Right when did you last go to a match and watch him do it for 70 of the 90?

Oh you didn't.... Right 

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, he should not be starting in the Prem but I also think fans can't have it both ways.

Most of the ones slating Kenny are also the ones slating Smith.

Well if Smith has us 2nd without a recognised left back,  recognised DM and a central midfielder not good enough for the championship then Smith is an absolute mastermind!

exactly

also he would be talking about injuries and sending off and bookings all come into the bigger picture 

Kenny has played 30 plus games the last 3 seasons so is rarely injured or banned 

i have a totally different outlook why a player can be valuable to a club 

On 05/10/2022 at 19:39, Nexus_Canary said:

Right when did you last go to a match and watch him do it for 70 of the 90?

Oh you didn't.... Right 

I’m there most home games and witness several players do it 

On 05/10/2022 at 15:22, nutty nigel said:

It's difficult really because how do you compare these players with Kenny. At the end of the day he has started the games in his position. So comparing most of these is unrelatable. 

For instance Hanley's arguably been our best central defender. If we have to do worst I'd say Gibson. But would it be fair to say Gibson because he's not 'a starter'. So maybe it's Omabamidele

Tough calls to make.

How to you vote for the Barry Butler then?

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

How to you vote for the Barry Butler then?

Kenny would probably be in the top five right now. But it's only October, you'd think by next April things would be clearer. Sara may be a starter by then and in contention. Have you picked your POTS yet? Have you ruled Kenny out?

52 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Kenny would probably be in the top five right now. But it's only October, you'd think by next April things would be clearer. Sara may be a starter by then and in contention. Have you picked your POTS yet? Have you ruled Kenny out?

That wasn't my point. Your point was you cant judge different positions against each other (if I'm reading it right) not that we need to pick the POTS now. My point is you can compare different positions on their performances and of the starters I've listed Kenny is our worst player so far this season... and by a million miles last season for that matter.

10 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That wasn't my point. Your point was you cant judge different positions against each other (if I'm reading it right) not that we need to pick the POTS now. My point is you can compare different positions on their performances and of the starters I've listed Kenny is our worst player so far this season... and by a million miles last season for that matter.

By a million miles...

Ok.

But I don't think that. I think he's been better than Aarons, Byram, Gibbs, Cantwell and Ramsey from your list.

Not by a million miles mind. That would be daft...

• Like 1

I wonder what people see sometimes. I can understand looking through yellow tinted glasses. But to keep ripping off Kenny is beyond me. Lets ask Teemu to play left back. He missed a few chances on Saturday so what he did two seasons ago has fcuk all to do with this one. He isn't much use up front playing like that so try him at left back.

Kenny is the dynamo in the team. He might not be the greatest passer in the side. Or in any side for that matter. But he brings an energy to the lineup. If the rest of the front five had shown as much energy as him and the Preston players. we would have walked it by half time. When we were winning the Championship, he was the drive from midfield.

And he never hides. He doesn't go missing. Ramsey and Nunez just didn't look for the ball against Preston. They waited for it to come to them.

So while Kenny would never start in our really best midfield, he will no doubt, barring injury, play more games for us than most other players this season.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

By a million miles...

Ok.

But I don't think that. I think he's been better than Aarons, Byram, Gibbs, Cantwell and Ramsey from your list.

Not by a million miles mind. That would be daft...

By a million miles last season.

He hasn't been better than any of those players this season.

I can’t comment game on game, but there’s no doubt if you didn’t know McLean and saw him Saturday for the first time, you’d say why did the manager try to use a left back in midfield? His second half was massive improvement on his first half, I’d keep him out there!

As for KG, I didn’t see the energy you talk of till Sara came on, he and McLean at left back changed the game’s tempo.

As much as I criticise McLean as he does get caught out a lot, passes or position, he’s often leaving his players, but that’s true of Nunez and others this season.

I thought Nunez and Ramsey were well off form and Pukki had lead boots. No criticism of that second half performance by McLean, he’s a natural left back possibly our best!

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

By a million miles last season.

He hasn't been better than any of those players this season.

I thought Gilmour, Kabak, Sorensen, Sargent, Rupp, Dowell, Placheta were all worse than Mclean last season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought Gilmour, Kabak, Sorensen, Sargent, Rupp, Dowell, Placheta were all worse than Mclean last season. 

They were all terrible last year, no one came out of last season with much credit! Pukki and Omobamdele possibly!

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Only by about 25 miles though🙃

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Well you would think that as you seem to have this weird Kenny blind spot or like to be contrarian, I'm not sure which.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

22 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Well you would think that as you seem to have this weird Kenny blind spot or like to be contrarian, I'm not sure which.

Interesting you are that self-confident it's me with the blind spot, and not yourself with the wrong pre-conception that you're desperate to prove right at an and every opportunity, with the ego to believe you see more than our current and previous management teams do 🙂

Also, turns out apart from maybe one on my list, 'whoscored' stats see Kenny as better than the rest of my list too. They must be blind as well.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Interesting you are that self-confident it's me with the blind spot, and not yourself with the wrong pre-conception that you're desperate to prove right at an and every opportunity, with the ego to believe you see more than our current and previous management teams do 🙂

Also, turns out apart from maybe one on my list, 'whoscored' stats see Kenny as better than the rest of my list too. They must be blind as well.

It's not about stats is it? You watch the game and see him regularly giving the ball away to the opposition and being caught out of position. 

He's not a Championship footballer let alone Premier League. 

I am not the biggest Kenny fan but I really would continue him at LB next week and (if fit) move Byram to RB, his natural position. Kenny offers better balance on the left and to me watching on Saturday Aaron’s was particularly poor and looks like he needs a reset from the bench.

On 05/10/2022 at 18:45, Ken Hairy said:

I'm not sure where people are getting Kenny is 6ft, having met him he's exactly the same height as me, I'm 5ft9. I'm quite happy to tell people I'm 6ft though 😁

He is 6ft on wiki, you could correct it

Edited by city4eva