The Bristol Nest

Unofficial Reading v Norwich match thread with all the news

Well, generally contained apart from that one Carroll effort.  Holliet is the issue.
But as others have said going forward we appear rather devoid of the killer pass as we just let Reading reset with the slow passing.   More adventurous this half perhaps? 

They're closing us down extremely well & very direct in attack. Our main method is to play intricate passing between the lines We need to do it better, but they're making it very difficult for us. It happens.

They're not 3rd for no reason.

Hopefully Reading have bought out some warm milk or cocoa for halftime. Smith will really be able to hammer that advantage home in the second half 😴😴😴

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sargent out wide is a waste of time as others have said. I wonder if Pukki could play a SS role? 

Gruppenfuhrer? 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm generally more positive about Smith than others but come on, did you actually watch it? It was crap. 

It was ok for the first 10 minutes or so. Less so after that, but we haven’t conceded and we have lots of options to change it up. Hernandez is the obvious one. As has been said before this season, if you don’t win, make sure you don’t lose. Granted Reading had a couple (?) of decent shots but Krul did his job. It’s not like they are constantly peppering the goal, they’ve had two shots on target.

Bearing in mind the league positions of these two sides I find the lack of drive and enthusiasm is unbelievable. Can someone tell Max this is not a training session.

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Hopefully Reading have bought out some warm milk or cocoa for halftime. Smith will really be able to hammer that advantage home in the second half 😴😴😴

Mug on standby

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sargent out wide is a waste of time as others have said. I wonder if Pukki could play a SS role? 

Pukki  can do a decent job anywhere across a front three, as part of a front two or as a 10, he is a smart player, may i say too smart to be chasing centrally when Josh can do it with energy to burn.

Just now, vos said:

Bearing in mind the league positions of these two sides I find the lack of drive and enthusiasm is unbelievable. Can someone tell Max this is not a training session.

What happened to the Max who would run at defenders? 

Poor.

Byram getting roasted and not helped by either Ramsey or McLean who have been poor....  McLean is everywhere wide but nowhere.  He has not played well as some suggested keeps choosing the wrong option when he passes forward.    He's never in midfield either where he should be...

Readings one tactic, Carroll drops short into our midfield and has a free unopposed opportunity to move the ball on.... Hanley or Omobamidele have to come out with him or we need to push higher up the pitch... otherwise Readings domination will continue... we really are poor against strong teams and have no threat going forward... 

Our full backs offer no threat going forward and if it doesn't change, its only a matter of time before we concede.  

It's like we're waiting to see if they can score against us. Byram hugely exposed and Aarons has the first touch of Charlie Crickmore (one for the oldies). If we come out of this with anything it will be a huge positive. 

Second in the league but for the best part of 12 games I'm still waiting for us to show.it.

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

They're closing us down extremely well & very direct in attack. Our main method is to play intricate passing between the lines We need to do it better, but they're making it very difficult for us. It happens.

They're not 3rd for no reason.

Are you allowed to be rational on here ?

12 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Still dont know what Smith’s style is. 
Cannot see any progression under him. 
Smith out. 

FFS, what do you mean? What “style” would you like?

Cheeky?

Contemporary?

80s?

Emo?

He’s pragmatic, so adapts to what resources he has available and the opposition. We often have had posters asking for the like of Pullis when things have been going badly. Would you prefer him? He had a clear “style”.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NWC said:

So Nunez is not the messiah!!

Good player but I'm sure his concentration levels are not good!

Just now, Nuff Said said:

FFS, what do you mean? What “style” would you like?

Cheeky?

Contemporary?

80s?

Emo?

He’s pragmatic, so adapts to what resources he has available and the opposition. We often have had posters asking for the like of Pullis when things have been going badly. Would you prefer him? He had a clear “style”.

So we go up and just, sort of, play… hope for the best in a kind of roundabout pragmatic way?

sounds great. Sounds disasterous.