The Bristol Nest

Unofficial Reading v Norwich match thread with all the news

Proper contest this. Could go either way. If playing this formation (and I like having Gibbs back in) we need to be more direct out wide. Onel on for Ramsey for me and Sargent wide still doesn’t work. 

We can all see that Sargent needs to be played centrally or not at all. 

We can also see nearly a full year into Smith’s tenure, there’s no clear style. It’s been turgid stuff masked by the fact this league is god awful and we keep snatching wins from other awful teams. 

Krul’s recent form the only positive.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That actually is positive, because Reading have looked good to me. A point from this would be fine.

It’s away to the team one place below us. A point would in no way be a disaster, but I doubt it will be seen that way on here. Unless we’re liquid football and win by at least three with a clean sheet, it’s rubbish.

I can sum up this dreadful first half performance in a nutshell. Kenny is far and away our best player so far !!!!!

• Like 2

I didn’t even want to speak it hut

Yeah

Cooper

I would 

he blatantly hasn’t bought that team and deserves better

let the crying commence lol

Just now, Nuff Said said:

It’s away to the team one place below us. A point would in no way be a disaster, but I doubt it will be seen that way on here. Unless we’re liquid football and win by at least three with a clean sheet, it’s rubbish.

I'm generally more positive about Smith than others but come on, did you actually watch it? It was crap. 

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

An opinion shared by a poster who is apparently quite respected for their opinions on here. 

Seems so. What's your point exactly?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Be honest it was rubbish.

The commentary on here is actually really insulting to Reading. They're playing well and they have a tall striker who's deadly in the air against our defense of relative pygmies. We can't afford to be gung ho tonight.

We will win this... 0-2. 

Lots to fix 2nd half, but quite like the movement of the rest of the team as soon as Gibbs is on the ball. 

Passing football is great if you play quickly and look forward. This is it at it's absolute worst and when you play it too slowly and too cautiously it's in my opinion in the worst and most boring of any style of play. 

If it's not happening for us like tonight there's no shame in getting Hernandez on, sticking Sarge up front with Pukki and going more direct

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I'd settle for trying to win.

midfield seems all wrong but I'm not sure why. Kenny constantly pulling out to LB. Gibbs looks understandably rusty. Núñez seems caught between sitting deep and pushing forward. Bit of a mess. As others have said, passing way too slow and only real positive is that it's 0-0.

Feel for Byram. We really miss a left-footed LB. And feel for Sargent. Did nothing wrong at CF and is now isolated on the right where his strengths are less important and his weaknesses exposed. 

Meh.

Just now, ricardo said:

Be honest it was rubbish.

It was very poor after the first 10 minutes. I will reserve judgement until the end of the match though, football is a game of two halves after all...

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Feels like watching in slow motion when we are in possession. 

Pedestrian  is how j described it to my cloggy friend currently suffering at the hands, well feet i suppose,  of Napoli. 

This is a result of what happens when a manager tries to shoehorn all his favourites into the same front 6 as opposed to picking the best players in their best positions

Once again we'll need Hernandez to come on and dig us out.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They're playing well and they have a tall striker who's deadly in the air against our defense of relative pygmies. We can't afford to be gung ho tonight.

Agree with that. They've played well, have a clear plan, and Hoillet and Carroll look dangerous.  But I think it's also ok to comment on our weaknesses. We need to be using the ball a lot better.

11 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Turgid is the best word to describe Smith. No matter where we are in the league he is not who I want managing my team. We are better than this. I'd go all out to get Cooper the second he's sacked. 

Yes, because we’ve never ever struggled against physical sides in the past, have we?!