Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The view from the opposition- Royals Fans have their say

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Interesting they see McLean as our weak link. 

Who'd have thunk it......

Don't rate Lumley as a goalie at all at this level. Think we should shoot on sight a bit with him.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Interesting they see McLean as our weak link. 

Sadly he's destined to still be an ever present again this season...there'll always be a situation that will dictate it

Haydens injury, Sara not quite being very good, Ramsay being pushed out wide

..he'll always be squeezed in somewhere

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

This again... McLean has never been a weak link at championship level.  He's not prem quality, but he would improve any squad within the championship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If our squad consisted of midfield options of Gascoigne, Zidane, Vieira, Makelele, Souness, Scholes, Seedorf and Pirlo, McLean would still start every game. I'm convinced it's done to annoy me every Saturday and make my weekend that little bit worse.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

This again... McLean has never been a weak link at championship level.  He's not prem quality, but he would improve any squad within the championship.

100%.  
If Reading fans see him as the weak link, it is more than likely it’s because they’ve been reading threads here rather than formulating their own opinions.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

If our squad consisted of midfield options of Gascoigne, Zidane, Vieira, Makelele, Souness, Scholes, Seedorf and Pirlo, McLean would still start every game. I'm convinced it's done to annoy me every Saturday and make my weekend that little bit worse.

I should think he would, they're all old men.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Of course.

But some fans on here will probably go and support Reading now they've got something in common with their fans.

And of course, reading fans having likely never watched McLean know his ability far better than the likes of Farke and Smith 😅😅😅

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't seen our left hand side as being the weakness really... Not a left footer in site, even at CB.

I rate Byram and I think he's a solid defender for us, but if you are playing percentages you look at the players playing out of position first IMHO. That and trying to play us on the break, it's where teams could possibly exploit the high press we use... but what do I know?

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't seen our left hand side as being the weakness really... Not a left footer in site, even at CB.

I rate Byram and I think he's a solid defender for us, but if you are playing percentages you look at the players playing out of position first IMHO. That and trying to play us on the break, it's where teams could possibly exploit the high press we use... but what do I know?

One of their posters did actually point that out Chicken on that very thread. They reckon theyl put Meite on that side and pressure Sam into errors.. ud like to think hes good enough to deal with what they have though

Whilst I wouldn't describe McLean as a weakest link, if Reading target him from a high press is does limit our options of getting the ball out of defence.

Plus wind Aarons up, seems to be on a bit of a short fuse this season.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Interesting.  IMO Byram would be playing regularly in the Prem if it weren't for his injury record, when fit he's not looked out of his depth against Prem attackers so I think he can handle playing on the other side against Reading, but we shall see.

Guess they could be making most of set pieces and lumping it up to juao and Carroll... 

Interesting to pick out Byram as a weakness as he rarely gets beaten. I think it's probably that on the face of it he's 'fourth choice' so far this year.

If fit I'd be doing anything to get Gibbs back in the side as we've undoubtedly looked better with him in the middle. Maybe Hernandez out and more of a 4-3-1-2 with Ramsey in the advanced role.