Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Sarr, everything you want Idah to be.

Just watching Stoke Watford, very defensive set up by Watford but every time they get the ball forwards Sarr is a beast….looking like scoring.

Idah such a similar build and energy yet miles from Sarr, why is that if and myself asking? Is it effort, focus or just talent?

Sometimes in Idah you get a glimpse of one hell of a player in there potentially, yet more times than not he’s not in the game! Still he’s young and we can only hope!

Edited by Indy

Talent. 

Never have thought AI is going to be good enough to lead the line for us, squad player? Absolutely. But we'll always need a number one striker to be ahead of him. 

Sarr, who's in his mid-20s, moved for well over £40m in transfer fees, played more than 100 top flight games and has around 50 caps for Senegal, that Sarr?

Yeah, there's a slight difference between him and Adam Idah

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Sarr, who's in his mid-20s, moved for well over £40m in transfer fees, played more than 100 top flight games and has around 50 caps for Senegal, that Sarr?

Yeah, there's a slight difference between him and Adam Idah

Why the need for the pedantic nature of your response! I’m asking why Sarr is that far ahead! Why for me focus and effort, Kane when he was here was pants, yet he’s one of the best strikers Englands produced, he’s moved onto be a great player! 
That’s why I ask could Idah with the right mindset and coaching be as good?

It's worth remembering that Idah is still only 21. And he's barely played in the last couple of seasons. Really hope he can get a run of games. All the raw material seems to be there.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Idah will ever be as good a player as Sarr, though his career has certainly stagnated over the last few seasons, hence why he is now playing his 2nd season in the championship after moving for a lot of money in the first 2/3 years of his career.

However, I do think the club have certainly missed the boat on Idah slightly in terms of developing him, although looking back with hindsight it maybe tells a different story.

19/20 He should have gone on loan after his hat trick vs Preston in the cup. (Covid would've interrupted the season however)

20/21 In my opinion he would've been 2nd choice behind Pukki instead of us spending a decent chunk on Hugill.

21/22 The same could be said for last season, Sargent may be doing well now but I don't think he was a hugely necessary signing, and the 442 with Idah and Pukki was when we looked at our best.

Overall we're left with a lad who's only had a handful of starts in his career despite being in and around the first team for 2/3 seasons.

Sarr is a different type of player to Idah. Idah has a bigger frame to start with and is more strength than pace, whereas Sarr is more about pace.  As someone else said, lets see what Idah is like when fully fit and getting more minutes under his belt. Still only 21 - and when Smith and Shaky arrived he started to look like he was starting to put himself about a bit more, but since then has had one or two injuries. Plenty of time for him to come good then and pretty pointless to compare him to Sarr or anyone else for that matter. He's on his own path and I suspect he will prove himself pretty soon, once fully fit.

• Like 4

Right now I think it hangs in the balance as to whether Idah makes it with us or whether he will need to go and follow a similar path to Morris. 

Morris has done well for himself but Idah is way above that. Morris's career has also had hiccups with injuries as well. 

Patience!

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Sarr is a different type of player to Idah. Idah has a bigger frame to start with and is more strength than pace, whereas Sarr is more about pace.  As someone else said, lets see what Idah is like when fully fit and getting more minutes under his belt. Still only 21 - and when Smith and Shaky arrived he started to look like he was starting to put himself about a bit more, but since then has had one or two injuries. Plenty of time for him to come good then and pretty pointless to compare him to Sarr or anyone else for that matter. He's on his own path and I suspect he will prove himself pretty soon, once fully fit.

Good to see you posting Lakey, we don’t see enough of you lately….. hope you’re well.

I don’t thing they’re that different, Sarr is 6ft 1, Idah 6ft 2, both similar type of players, it’s unfortunate that Idah has been used on the wing more than central, this certainly doesn’t help his development and as said his injuries. I was making the point Sarr is a very good player and Idah in glimpses certainly is a similar player, if he can develop into the same standard we could have a gem… he’s got potential and has had for three years but not moved forwards. Hopefully he can keep injury free and push on this season.

• Like 1

Both pretty different players, there's not a huge point or relevance in the comparison. Its like criticising Todd for not being Grealish, or Pukki for not being Aguero.

So Watford are going to smack us around in a couple of weeks then. If only they'd have held out sacking their manager another fortnight. 

50 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It's worth remembering that Idah is still only 21. And he's barely played in the last couple of seasons. Really hope he can get a run of games. All the raw material seems to be there.

I think we need to move on from this ‘still only x’ ….Idah has been a ‘potentially” good player for years. He’s not a youth team player and many others players have been starters in the premier league and internationally by that age.

Unfortunately he just doesn’t seem to be able to stay injury free and even if he was I’m not convinced he has the talent to be anywhere near as good as Sarr. Indeed I’ll be amazed if he is ever the leading striker in a team above league one (happy for people to bookmark this comment and prove me wrong in years to come,,,would honestly love that as nothin against Idah himself).

• Like 1

There has been one ot two false dawns with Idah but sooner or later the sun is going to have to come up and stay up.

Sadly I think he's broken, too fragile. Hopefully I'm wrong as there's a player in there somewhere. Just needs to stay fit which has been the problem so far.

Under Smith before his latest injury Idah certainly did look good enough to play up top in the PL. So if we judge him on that and pray for fitness we do have that player.

• Like 2

Idah needed to go out on loan 2-3 seasons ago but we’ve always been short of strikers behind Pukki so he’s been kept around at the expense of his own career development.

19 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Idah needed to go out on loan 2-3 seasons ago but we’ve always been short of strikers behind Pukki so he’s been kept around at the expense of his own career development.

Don't think that's true. It's his injuries that have held back his development. And unless you go back to before he was 19 those injuries would have scuppered any chance of a loan.

To suggest our club have held him back is one-eyed nonsense. He's 21. He'd already made a good claim to be a PL regular when yet another injury blow came. What have we actually held him back from?

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Good to see you posting Lakey, we don’t see enough of you lately….. hope you’re well.

I don’t thing they’re that different, Sarr is 6ft 1, Idah 6ft 2, both similar type of players, it’s unfortunate that Idah has been used on the wing more than central, this certainly doesn’t help his development and as said his injuries. I was making the point Sarr is a very good player and Idah in glimpses certainly is a similar player, if he can develop into the same standard we could have a gem… he’s got potential and has had for three years but not moved forwards. Hopefully he can keep injury free and push on this season.

Idah is about a stone heavier than Sarr, Lakey is right Sarr is more about pace, whereas Idah is more of a brick ****house.......

My Watford supporting mate says Sarr is a very frustrating player. All the ability and pace but always breaking down and half the time doesn't look bothered. Idah has some qualities but I have never been sure he would be a premier League first choice striker with anyone else bar us. As someone else said before I would love to be proved wrong and see him turn into the player a lot of people on here believe he will be. 

I find this a bizarre question.

Wes Hoolahan had a very similar body shape to Lionel Messi, as well as playing in a similar position and being left-footed. Why did Wes never win multiple Ballon D'Ors? Was it a lack of focus or determination? Obviously not.

Some players are just better than others, just as some people are better at maths, more musically gifted or have a bigger shoe size. 

I really don't think it's Adam Idah's fault that he isn't as good as a player who cost £40m and who Watford could have probably sold for even more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I find this a bizarre question.

Wes Hoolahan had a very similar body shape to Lionel Messi, as well as playing in a similar position and being left-footed. Why did Wes never win multiple Ballon D'Ors? Was it a lack of focus or determination? Obviously not.

Some players are just better than others, just as some people are better at maths, more musically gifted or have a bigger shoe size. 

I really don't think it's Adam Idah's fault that he isn't as good as a player who cost £40m and who Watford could have probably sold for even more.

If, for example, we offered Cambridge to TWTD we would get £1 and possibly a tree seedling for the roof thrown in. If we offered them Badger to explain why they're financially stuffed we would get a lot more. Is that the fault of Cambridge? 

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The OP reminds me of your thread about Declan Rudd being our De Gea… 🤣

I could have listed those posters who have an issue with me posting little digs……funny enough as Nutty pointed out, he started to look like a Sarr in his brief period prior to injury in the premier league, you could see pace, power and bringing in others into the game! Very similar to Sarr today!

As I said I wasn’t making any direct comparison just asking what makes two similar players develop at different rates, talent, effort or determination to be better. Beckham, Ronaldo, Messi we’re renowned for spending more time on the pitch post training improving their game, it’s partly talent but also determination. 

Still I’m glad the usual suspects who have issues with posters jump on my post as normal! 

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Good to see you posting Lakey, we don’t see enough of you lately….

Thanks, just not into football so much at the moment. Hoping that will change once the ludicrous world cup circus has finished and we get to the business end of the season without any more interuptions. Also not finding a lot of inspiration from Smith's interviews...I don't know, perhaps he would be more palatable to me if he wore an anorak and spoke about "topics" with a foreign accent 🇩🇪🙂.....still it's results that matter and we are getting those!  Lots of games to come in just a few weeks, hoping we can look a bit more convincing from here on. 

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Thanks, just not into football so much at the moment. Hoping that will change once the ludicrous world cup circus has finished and we get to the business end of the season without any more interuptions. Also not finding a lot of inspiration from Smith's interviews...I don't know, perhaps he would be more palatable to me if he wore an anorak and spoke about "topics" with a foreign accent 🇩🇪🙂.....still it's results that matter and we are getting those!  Lots of games to come in just a few weeks, hoping we can look a bit more convincing from here on. 

I know where you’re coming from, I’ve found golf and now I’m post 50 walking football……..yes it’s just not the same post Farke, even though we should be excited as results are coming, we’ve potential new owners, but still.

Anyhow enjoy whatever you’re up to Lakey……do keep posting.

• Like 3

Idah looked the part last season in a couple of games.  He really needs a run of games, to do that he needs to be injury free and playing in the team.  I really think we messed up not sending him on loan a couple of times.  Had we done that he might be much closer to a top player by now.