cambridgeshire canary

Pukkis goal- That touch though

While yes, his goal might have only been down to a Blackpool mistake and all can we at least give some credit to him for the touch he got onto the ball giving him control of the ball? Absolutely filthy, had that been Ronaldo the clip would be shared worldwide and millions would talk about how amazing it is- But really, fair play to Pukki beacuase this was some first touch

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

While yes, his goal might have only been down to a Blackpool mistake and all can we at least give some credit for the touch he got onto the ball giving him control of the ball? Absolutely filthy, had that been Ronaldo the clip would be shared worldwide and millions would talk about how amazing it is- But really, fair play to Pukki beacuase this was some first touch to get control of the ball

Yep, and the annoying word “sssiiiuuu” hashtag trending on Twatter.

Pukki isn’t Finland’s top goal scorer and the main reason their finally qualified for a major tournament for nothing.

• Haha 1

When I played, I was a striker and not enough credit goes to 1 on 1 goals, they're actually despite looking the easiest the hardest goal to score as you get too much time to think about it an often end up fluffing it. 

Pukki is a master at 1 on 1s. 

• Like 1

Agreed, a thing of beauty, The weight of the touch to ensure he can run onto it, ahead of the covering defenders and give himself  the one on one opportunity. Should be credited for the assist also. 

Edited by Unthank Canary
  • Like 1

Brilliant touch as it then leaves the defender the decision to either bring him down and take red card, or let him go.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Absolutely filthy, had that been Ronaldo the clip would be shared worldwide and millions would talk about how amazing it is

It was a lovely first touch and cooly taken goal, but it was nowhere near as good as you make it sound here…

The touch was a similarly instinctive move to what we saw with The Sarge vs Watford last season. Ball was almost behind him, super stuff!

On 02/10/2022 at 11:09, Worthy Nigelton said:

Yep. Hope all those who questioned him after the first few games are now realising how wrong they were...

How many times does he have to go through a lean spell of a few games and then come good again for people to learn?

• Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 11:40, Ken Hairy said:

When I played, I was a striker and not enough credit goes to 1 on 1 goals, they're actually despite looking the easiest the hardest goal to score as you get too much time to think about it an often end up fluffing it. 

Pukki is a master at 1 on 1s. 

I was about to suggest that about this goal... sometimes it is all about timing, wait for the keeper to go before hitting it, or do you hit it with conviction knowing that the keeper can't stop it.

To me, looking at how the keeper's gone down, I wonder if he's given him the "eyes". Either way, like you say, he's timed it superbly, keepers committed fractionally before hand and his dinked it over him. Any later and there's no time left, any sooner and the keeper is standing.

Doesn't look a stunner on the face of it, net hasn't been ripped off, he's not dribbled it past 6 players or even taken it around the keeper. Very much a clinical finishers goal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chicken said:

I was about to suggest that about this goal... sometimes it is all about timing, wait for the keeper to go before hitting it, or do you hit it with conviction knowing that the keeper can't stop it.

To me, looking at how the keeper's gone down, I wonder if he's given him the "eyes". Either way, like you say, he's timed it superbly, keepers committed fractionally before hand and his dinked it over him. Any later and there's no time left, any sooner and the keeper is standing.

Doesn't look a stunner on the face of it, net hasn't been ripped off, he's not dribbled it past 6 players or even taken it around the keeper. Very much a clinical finishers goal.

It's the first touch that is outstanding, not the finish.

• Like 1

It was a competent execution; very much the sort we weren't getting from him at the start of the season. It still felt wrong to me to shift Sargeant aside when Sargeant was delivering goals game after game in the role, particularly as Sargeant as number 9 seemed to come with more goal contributions from other members of the squad. 

I like Pukki, but it's a shame nobody can seem to look past him when he's probably not going to be with us beyond the end of the season. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

45 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It was a competent execution; very much the sort we weren't getting from him at the start of the season. It still felt wrong to me to shift Sargeant aside when Sargeant was delivering goals game after game in the role, particularly as Sargeant as number 9 seemed to come with more goal contributions from other members of the squad. 

I like Pukki, but it's a shame nobody can seem to look past him when he's probably not going to be with us beyond the end of the season. 

Earlier in the thread you claimed that Pukki was missing 'sitters' at the start of the season. IMO, this is rewriting history, although I suppose it depends what you mean by a sitter. While I agree that he missed some opportunities you would expect him to take based on his past record, I wouldn't have called any of them 'sitters'. The only sitter I remember us missing so far this season is Ramsey's in one of the very early games. (This is not meant as an attack on Ramsey - everyone misses sometimes when it's easier to score and Ramsey showed a lot of awareness to get to where he did in front of the goal - but is meant as an example of what I would call a sitter.) Sargent's against Brighton last season would be another obvious one.

In two recent games we have seen examples of Pukki's intelligence and first touch. A) Against Bristol, the flick over the head of the defender so that he could run on and head it in, taking both the defender and the goalkeeper out of the game B) This perfect flick at Blackpool. I really can't understand why you seem so eager to replace him.

EDIT: Sorry, the comment about 'total sitters' did not come in this thread; it came in a thread you started about selling Pukki in January.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

How many times does he have to go through a lean spell of a few games and then come good again for people to learn?

Which always coincide with an injury.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Earlier in the thread you claimed that Pukki was missing 'sitters' at the start of the season. IMO, this is rewriting history, although I suppose it depends what you mean by a sitter. While I agree that he missed some opportunities you would expect him to take based on his past record, I wouldn't have called any of them 'sitters'. The only sitter I remember us missing so far this season is Ramsey's in one of the very early games. (This is not meant as an attack on Ramsey - everyone misses sometimes when it's easier to score and Ramsey showed a lot of awareness to get to where he did in front of the goal - but is meant as an example of what I would call a sitter.) Sargent's against Brighton last season would be another obvious one.

In two recent games we have seen examples of Pukki's intelligence and first touch. A) Against Bristol, the flick over the head of the defender so that he could run on and head it in, taking both the defender and the goalkeeper out of the game B) This perfect flick at Blackpool. I really can't understand why you seem so eager to replace him.

EDIT: Sorry, the comment about 'total sitters' did not come in this thread; it came in a thread you started about selling Pukki in January.

The original question (emphasis on question) about whether he was worth getting something for in January seemed to get a consensus that it wasn't worth it on the basis that he's more value to the promotion campaign than his residual value with 6 months left is worth. That's fair enough, I'd even go as far as to say I agree. 

However, we spent £8.5m on Sargeant as a centre forward, but when Pukki was underperforming at the start of the season, Sarge didn't get a sniffl; even when Pukki was injured and Sargeant came in and took his chance as well as anybody could have hoped, he got shifted aside as soon as Pukki was fit.

If Sarge had fluffed it somehow then I'd say moving him aside to put Pukki back in was fair enough, but he hadn't; favouring somebody who's a great player but will only be playing for us another 7 months over giving Sarge every chance to succeed in that role while he's showing he's up for it prior to a return to the Premier League just seems daft to me. 

All I know is, I'm going to really miss Teemu if he does decide to leave us at the end of the season 🥹

• Like 3

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The original question (emphasis on question) about whether he was worth getting something for in January seemed to get a consensus that it wasn't worth it on the basis that he's more value to the promotion campaign than his residual value with 6 months left is worth. That's fair enough, I'd even go as far as to say I agree. 

However, we spent £8.5m on Sargeant as a centre forward, but when Pukki was underperforming at the start of the season, Sarge didn't get a sniffl; even when Pukki was injured and Sargeant came in and took his chance as well as anybody could have hoped, he got shifted aside as soon as Pukki was fit.

If Sarge had fluffed it somehow then I'd say moving him aside to put Pukki back in was fair enough, but he hadn't; favouring somebody who's a great player but will only be playing for us another 7 months over giving Sarge every chance to succeed in that role while he's showing he's up for it prior to a return to the Premier League just seems daft to me. 

Yes, Sargent took his chance, and that's great - we no longer all wince when Pukki is tackled and stays down for more than a few moments. What I'm saying - and I think a lot of the people who agree with me are saying - is that Sargent did it over a handful of games whereas Teemu has done it over four seasons. It's great that Sargent is showing promise and may eventually be a replacement for Pukki if he leaves, but it is still only promise. Remember that he was dreadful last season except for one or maybe one and a half games.

I think if we don't go up, Pukki will almost certainly leave. If we manage to go up, we may be able to persuade him to give the Prem one last shot with us, and it would seem crazy to me not to keep him. We didn't fail last year because of him; we failed because of a totally dysfunctional midfield of misfits.

Edited by canarybubbles

16 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, Sargent took his chance, and that's great - we no longer all wince when Pukki is tackled and stays down for more than a few moments. What I'm saying - and I think a lot of the people who agree with me are saying - is that Sargent did it over a handful of games whereas Teemu has done it over four seasons. It's great that Sargent is showing promise and may eventually be a replacement for Pukki if he leaves, but it is still only promise. Remember that he was dreadful last season except for one or maybe one and a half games.

I think if we don't go up, Pukki will almost certainly leave. If we manage to go up, we may be able to persuade him to give the Prem one last shot with us, and it would seem crazy to me not to keep him. We didn't fail last year because of him; we failed because of a totally dysfunctional midfield of misfits.

Promising is selling Sarge's performances as number 9 rather short; they were excellent. Based on the games he had, Sarge is already a decent replacement for Pukki. We should be testing that point and giving him as much opportunity to develop and for the rest of the team to get used to him in that position while we still have the luxury of doing so with Pukki still around as a fallback.

Whether Pukki stays or goes in the Summer is completely out of our hands because his contract expires. We know for a fact he wanted to move on last Summer and we also know for a fact that it's completely out of the club's hands as to what he does this summer. He's a 32-year old player coming to the twilight of his career who want's a change and everyone needs to be thinking in those terms. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Admire that touch, admire the way the ball is protected the moment he has control, admire the coolness of the finish but most of all admire the player.