littleyellowbirdie

Sell Pukki in January?

In January, Pukki will have six months left on his contract. If he doesn't want to extend should we seek to get something for him while we can, given that we know now that Sargent is a decent replacement? What do you think we could get for him? Where would you want to see any money raised spent?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

In January, Pukki will have six months left on his contract. If he doesn't want to extend should we seek to get something for him while we can, given that we know now that Sargent is a decent replacement? What do you think we could get for him?

Right on the back of winning us 3 points. And how many more will he win us from now to the end of the season?! 🤣. Jog on

• Like 1

On top of that he could be persuaded to sign if we get promoted. We would have Premiership football and wages to offer so not totally out the question 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Keep him, get promoted and let the man decide what’s best for himself. Pukki owes us nothing. 

Absolutely, but we don't owe him anything either. 

We were already winning with Sargent as number 9 getting a goal a game before Pukki got back on song after a poor start to the season. My feeling is he'll be gone either way in the Summer, we have a decent, younger replacement in Sargent, and the money could be used to acquire a defensive midfield upgrade, for the sake of argument, in January to boost us in a weaker area.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

It's an interesting one for sure. I could see a future where we're promoted and we don't even want to re-sign him. He'll be 33 next season and will probably want some security in his contract and I'd imagine we'd want to move to a more physical striker.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's an interesting one for sure. I could see a future where we're promoted and we don't even want to re-sign him. He'll be 33 next season and will probably want some security in his contract and I'd imagine we'd want to move to a more physical striker.

He’s the model professional and obviously looks after himself very well. Hopefully he might be tempted to stay on a new 2 year deal. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

In January, Pukki will have six months left on his contract. If he doesn't want to extend should we seek to get something for him while we can, given that we know now that Sargent is a decent replacement? What do you think we could get for him? Where would you want to see any money raised spent?

Why would we even contemplate selling the GOAT for the pittance we’d get at this point for him?

Edited by Grando
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Sell him for what?? £4-5 Million?

And risk all the money that comes with promotion?

Good one.

Exactly this. (And £4m buys you half a Sara, Rashica, Tzolis or Sargent!)

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

He’s the model professional and obviously looks after himself very well. Hopefully he might be tempted to stay on a new 2 year deal. 

No doubt about that. He's also smart and has a game that could be adapted easily once the legs start going. 

I just think we'll be looking to adapt our style and Pukki clearly already fancies a new challenge. I doubt that challenge would be moving down the rotation here. I think he'll get a big money deal at a European club outside of the big 5 leagues.

• Like 1

It’s a win win, keep Pukki and get promoted and then sign him to a new one year deal, don’t go up and let him go with the knowledge he’s been a massive part of our financial gain in the past five seasons…..he cost us nothing so he could go for nothing and I’d be happy. He’s earned the right to choose where he goes….legend.

• Like 1

A few games at the start of the season doesn't really compare to the two full seasons that Pukki has completed in the Championship.

Pukki came on a free and he can leave in the same way at the end of his contract, he owes us nothing.

25 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I can't really believe what I'm reading to be honest?!

It would be absolutely suicidal to sell Pukki for what would be a relative pittance, before a critical second half of the Championship. He is one of the best goalscorers this league has seen in recent years, and is on course to net at least another 15-20 goals+ this season. I can't begin to imagine the message it would send out if we let him go before the end of the season.

Sarge is doing great, but we need squad depth to get us through a marathon season, especially given the injuries we have picked up during the opening couple of months.

A definite no for me, and would be unsurprised to see him to sign an extension if we are up there at Christmas.

40 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

we know now that Sargent is a decent replacement

I would strongly dispute this. He's played well for us as a centre-forward this season, but we have zero proof he's going to score goals for us in the PL, and a fair amount of evidence he isn't. I like Sarge, btw, but let's not get carried away.

Obviously there is going to come a time when we need to move on from Pukki, but I don't see how it comes this season.

• Like 1

I think if we go we will offer him a very generous 2 year contract. He's the kind of guy who can play every game and never get injured- I personally think he will age very slowly. Even if we spend good money on another striker, Pukki is such an intelligent player he will be useful even from the bench. If he refuses a contract and fancies pastures new he will leave with praise and thanks ringing in his ears. 

• Like 2

No. He is not quite the brilliant player he was. Just a slight diminishment, but it is there. And whether he will be good enough for the Premier League, if we are there next season, is a serious question. But he is and will be crucial for this season.

Well obviously that's not going to happen; he's still our best striker and we're clearly not going to sell him in January because he (and the Premier League fortune) is worth far more than anyone would pay for someone about to turn 33. 

If we don't go up then I'm sure he'll leave. He could earn more elsewhere than we'd be likely to offer and he probably wouldn't have the desire for another Championship season. But if we go up, I reckon we'd offer him another year on £40/50k as an option alongside Sargent and a new signing, and I'd like to think he'd take it.

There’s been a dedicated sect of fans that are desperate to sell Pukki and have been for a while. Weirdos.

To be fair the OP is asking a question rather than saying we should sell Pukki unless he signs a new contract.

Unless there are extreme circumstances such as we're 20 pts ahead of the rest, or well outside play-off contention, then I think the club has already made the decision about selling Teemu this season.

Unfortunately what we can't do is prevent him from speaking to other clubs in January about a contract for next season, unless of course he signs a new contract in the meantime. I'm sure he'll give a 100% for us and who knows might get a another crack at Premier League football! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Sargent is no Pukki replacement.   He’s a completely different player for one and remains absolutely unproven in this league, the EPL is a completely different animal! 

How.can you say he's unproven when he's performed superbly every time he has played as number 9 this season?

What - or who - no-one has mentioned yet is Adam Idah. He was starting to look very promising last season in the *Premier* League. If he recovers and starts to show the sort of form we had a glimpse of, then life without Teemu may be feasible at the highest level, with Sarge as our other option. If Adam doesn’t regain that form for whatever reason, I think we have to make Teemu a very decent offer to stay if we do go up. Of course, if we don’t then he will probably not want to stay, and fair enough in that case. If we do, a potential front three of one or more of Pukki, Sargent and Idah isn’t that shabby. 

46 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

How.can you say he's unproven when he's performed superbly every time he has played as number 9 this season?

Because it’s only a few games and against pretty ropey opposition!     When he’s done it on a consistent basis over the season then I’ll be more than happy to say he’s proven himself.      Simple as that!   Pukki has done it season after season… to suggest Sargent can fill the void Pukki would leave is just wrong.  He couldn’t!!!!!   Except for that I do appreciate your post is only asking a question about whether we could sell Pukki, and some posters (most) seem to think you are suggesting we should…. Not sure you are!   

• Thanks 1