49 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The conquerors return......landing in 5.....g-sajh-loganair-embraer-erj-145ep_PlanespottersNet_1316383_7bd28ca4de_t.jpg

That plane is going to clock up some serous mileage this October. Quick clean up, restock the bar and fuel up ready for Tuesday. 

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm sure you'd afford Smith those same significant points of interest...

Look, the results can't be argued. We are better than the other two relegated teams who out performed us in the Prem.

Those saying our squad / manager were midtable fodder at the start of the season are starting to look silly.

I think we've got by far the best squad in the division and it's probably a part of why I'm not buying into Smith's hype just yet. I think we're hanging on in games when we should be putting boots to heads. The optimist will say we're gritty here I'm sure and i hope that it's a part of a much more complete Norwich City in the future.

But hey, who knows. Maybe this period will go down as the building block stage and and we'll start to see something special (or at least better) later on.

I do obviously have some sympathy for Smith as a proper midfielder snapping in twith challenges probably does make our team look better.

It's honestly a head vs gut thing, he's obviously doing a decent job but it still doesn't feel right to me. 

47 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hope you don't mind me saying, but I think peoples' expectations are completely unrealistic if the minimum we should be getting is 22 points from the last 24 (despite no recognised left back).

And to add to that, only one naturally left footed player in the starting 11 too I believe.

But I suppose we could always be getting 34pts from the last 24. 

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think we've got by far the best squad in the division and it's probably a part of why I'm not buying into Smith's hype just yet. I think we're hanging on in games when we should be putting boots to heads. The optimist will say we're gritty here I'm sure and i hope that it's a part of a much more complete Norwich City in the future.

But hey, who knows. Maybe this period will go down as the building block stage and and we'll start to see something special (or at least better) later on.

I do obviously have some sympathy for Smith as a proper midfielder snapping in twith challenges probably does make our team look better.

It's honestly a head vs gut thing, he's obviously doing a decent job but it still doesn't feel right to me. 

Really? I'm not sure I agree with that currently.

We currently have no left backs. We are experience light in some areas. Out wide there isn't a chance we have one of the best wingers in this league. Cantwell of a couple of seasons ago possibly, but he's not quite hit that height yet and none of the others are particularly outstanding are they? 

I think you could probably go through this league and pick out 4-5 players that could improve the starting line up we had today - and that's not being harsh.

In reality it's the TEAM that is better. They are finding ways to get results when it isn't always clicking and running along smoothly. Today we didn't take half the chances we could've done. We deserved the win.

In the 11 games we have played so far this season we have had the following at left back: Giannoulis, McCallum, Sorensen, McLean and Byram. That's just an example of why we haven't had a settled rhythm yet and also how our players as a team are willing to take some discomfort, playing out of position, for the greater good and get us wins.

Do I think we have a squad capable of pushing for automatic promotion? Yes. On paper is it the best squad in the league? I'm not convinced. Those two don't have to be the same. The first time we went up under Farke we were far from favourites. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

And to add to that, only one naturally left footed player in the starting 11 too I believe.

But I suppose we could always be getting 34pts from the last 24. 

At least.

I actually find it difficult to accept the argument that the team we have been able to field so far is superior to the one which last won the Championship.

When you factor in the fact we still haven't really seemed to replace Buendia and Skipp, I'm not actually sure why the expectations have skyrocketed so much that some fans are still finding significant fault in our current form. It is very odd.

I get the football hasn't been the best, and we all want to see 3/4 goals scored, but today we were actually very good for significant periods and really look to be improving.

Good test against Reading on Tuesday, and I very much hope and expect us to raise our level and give that complete performance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

Really? I'm not sure I agree with that currently.

We currently have no left backs. We are experience light in some areas. Out wide there isn't a chance we have one of the best wingers in this league. Cantwell of a couple of seasons ago possibly, but he's not quite hit that height yet and none of the others are particularly outstanding are they? 

I think you could probably go through this league and pick out 4-5 players that could improve the starting line up we had today - and that's not being harsh.

In reality it's the TEAM that is better. They are finding ways to get results when it isn't always clicking and running along smoothly. Today we didn't take half the chances we could've done. We deserved the win.

In the 11 games we have played so far this season we have had the following at left back: Giannoulis, McCallum, Sorensen, McLean and Byram. That's just an example of why we haven't had a settled rhythm yet and also how our players as a team are willing to take some discomfort, playing out of position, for the greater good and get us wins.

Do I think we have a squad capable of pushing for automatic promotion? Yes. On paper is it the best squad in the league? I'm not convinced. Those two don't have to be the same. The first time we went up under Farke we were far from favourites. 

The thing is even without left backs we're fielding Byram who is better than most left backs in the league. We're without multiple midfielders but we're still fielding Nunez and McLean (yes, most teams in the division would play him) . We've got loads of injuries but our bench is still full of quality for the division.

There are absolutely players in the league that are better than ours but if we sent out better players the other way they'd be swarmed. 

I'm half inclined to agree that what we're showing is TEAM but I'm not sure a couple of gutsy 1 goal wins are enough for that. I want to see a performance where swathes of the game aren't spent misplacing 5 yard passes.

Honestly it's been stated a lot previously that the rest of this month is going to be a great litmus test for the season. Both on how we are as a team and a TEAM.

45 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

For what it's worth I said pre season Smith has one of the best squads to work with and should have us in and around the automatic places.

My comment was a bit unfairly directed as I don't know what you individually have posted previously but there were several who said our squad wasn't good enough and neither was the manager.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

The thing is even without left backs we're fielding Byram who is better than most left backs in the league. We're without multiple midfielders but we're still fielding Nunez and McLean (yes, most teams in the division would play him) . We've got loads of injuries but our bench is still full of quality for the division.

There are absolutely players in the league that are better than ours but if we sent out better players the other way they'd be swarmed. 

I'm half inclined to agree that what we're showing is TEAM but I'm not sure a couple of gutsy 1 goal wins are enough for that. I want to see a performance where swathes of the game aren't spent misplacing 5 yard passes.

Honestly it's been stated a lot previously that the rest of this month is going to be a great litmus test for the season. Both on how we are as a team and a TEAM.

In all honesty, he's come back from injury and looked rusty at times. I wouldn't say he is head and shoulders above others.

However, your argument essentially comes down to us being by far the best squad in the league so we should be smashing other teams off the park.

How about some realistic reflections?

Nunez and Sara have never played European, let alone, English football. Sara came to us as he started his recovery from injury. We know it can take players up to a season to settle and adapt and sometimes, found a new position. When we signed them, they were unknowns. On paper, we could not predict much at all. In theory, you would lean into the more expensive player making a bigger impact, that's not happened yet either.

Sinani, Hugill, Hernandez and Cantwell all had spells away last season. Cantwell played for us but it was like there was no one at home if that makes sense, a real shell of the player we knew.

Omobamidele made 5 appearances last season. Byram played then out injured again. Giannoulis over looked for Williams repeatedly really. Dowell very much in and out of the side too.

So then you have to take that and look at our regular starting 11. Especially at the start of the season. How many were genuine regular starters over the last couple of seasons?

Hernandez hasn't really been a regular starter since the first promotion season, either due to injury or coming back from it to find Cantwell or Buendia ahead of him. Last time out I am pretty sure Dowell even kept him out. Sinani had never played for us before this season.

If you came into this season thinking we should rip up this league or we deserve being slated I think you approached this season wanting to slate the team and that is the main reason you are struggling to accept the success and are left with purely "something not feeling right".

You have to start a new season afresh. It doesn't matter what league you played in last season. Whether that be the one above that you weren't good enough for or the one below that you were too good for. In both situations you need to find your feet and get your game on. As with all sides that experience a level of transition, it's never going to be on point straight away... well, ok, it's rarely going to be on point straight away.

Farke took time the 2nd season with the side even though the majority of key components were the same.

I was enthusiastic about all 3 of the midfield signings. Not so much because of where're they were from or how much they cost but because of style of player that was being described to me were exactly what we needed. Hayden was probably the biggest signal of intent I've seen from our transfer team in ages (probably since Rhodes?)

Cantwell looked on it pre season and the other names you mentioned are all good championship players, Sinani even started the previous playoff final. I will admit some of my confidence did come from 2 players that a lot had given up on in Sargent and Rashica. So 50/50 there then.

I would have liked us to sign a 4th central defender but I wasn't actually apprehensive about Omobamidele at all. He's been a natural in the side from day 1 and honestly I didn't even consider how few games he'd actually played prior.

Winger is clearly our weakest position, especially as it seems Smith favours more traditional wingers. Cantwell, Dowell and Sinani are all very good Championship players that could be top end players in the right system.

I don't think I'm overrating our squad guys either. I mean they're playing a lot of minutes, we're 1 point off top and we've not even played well for more than 15 mins in a game yet.

4 hours ago, Ian said:

There's just 8 points between bottom 3 and top 6, and just 4 between bottom 3 and "top half".

Given this, do you think the fact these teams are in the bottom half of the table has anything to do with the fact we have beaten them?

Was just about to post similar. This is what teams potential positions were after this weekends matches:

2022-10-01-101.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I like your cavalier use of the word failure.

Think back to at least the past three PL campaigns. How many games did we lose where you came away thinking "if only we'd put one or two of our chances away" It was over and over again; as a team we are not clinical enough and it costs us. That's just my opinion. 

p.s. The OP wrote "What more could you ask for?" Well that's what I would ask for, convert more chances.

Edited by Surfer

Honestly, for me, I'm just waiting for us to thump a team 4 / 5 / 6 or 7 - 0 and then it'll be fine. It's knowing how good this squad is and then watching 1-0 games grinded out that doesn't fit. Once we smash a team... I think the fanbase nervousness will settle and we'll see that we ARE capable of it, and it's something in the locker.

Edited by Michael Starr

13 hours ago, Ian said:

Hope you don't mind me saying, but I think peoples' expectations are completely unrealistic if the minimum we should be getting is 22 points from the last 24 (despite no recognised left back).

Respectfully disagree, I’m sure Smith will have been told autos is the aim. Other teams are managing similar form so it’s hardly unrealistic. Byram can be recognised as a left back and has played there plenty, but yes we did well with Kenny in there for a few weeks.

As Parma has said more than once football is a low scoring game. We simply MUST be able to protect a lead, even if we score in the first minute and then are battered ‘til the game ends. Yesterday there was a lot of frantic defensive work by Blackpool. In my opinion the ref was OK first half but wobbled in second. When we are promoted again we will need to defend heroically week after week and accept that a draw at that level is a point won not two lost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Think back to at least the past three PL campaigns. How many games did we lose where you came away thinking "if only we'd put one or two of our chances away" It was over and over again; as a team we are not clinical enough and it costs us. That's just my opinion. 

p.s. The OP wrote "What more could you ask for?" Well that's what I would ask for, convert more chances.

Converting more chances comes down 100% to the players on the pitch. If that's your only complaint then you might as well complain that we don't have a billion pound squad. 

17 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Birmingham coming back at Sheff Utd goes to show how tight this league can be. 

I again cadged a ticket from a mate to a match at the Lane. It was the first time I've seen the Blades this season look beatable and unconvincing. It may have been an off day But perhpas it might be that Brum will be the first of many teams who have sussed them out, with them not having an answer. Also of note was how passive the home fans were in comparison to the boisterous Brum fans. 

In all, I'm not complacent, but feeling much more confident we will be promoted as champions.

Now watch us get thrashed at the Madjeski on Tuesday. 

16 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

From previous season's experience, exactly this. Chill everyone!

They mentioned on final score that at this point in the season we have more points than we did under the 2 previous promotions.

• Like 2

Its clearly obvious we have a squad better than most in this league. And while many teams are trying to play football, they are not as skillful as ours. And I think its fair to say our midfield hasn't clicked for a whole game yet. And there have been periods in all games where we have let the opposition get back into it. And our major concern of a DM has not been addressed yet.

But we do have experience and players who know what it is like to have been on the back foot game after game. And up against inferior players, there is still the confidence that we will prevail. That counts for a lot.

And I hope we have a few bob left for January should it be needed.

Further to my post, I am watching Stove v Watford and what I saw yesterday that disappointed me is far better than what I am watching. I cannot believe some of the play. How Gayle chose Stoke must be down to wages.

17 hours ago, chicken said:

🤣

By all accounts... as in all reports I have seen, Sunderland gave it a go, but never really threatened. If you think that means our victory was undeserved then you've really painted yourself into the "clutching at straws" camp of trying to find something to have a go at.

However, you are also wrong. We beat Bristol City who are in 12th which puts them top half.

As I keep saying to people, we don't know where teams will finish this season, and that's about over a season rather than 1/4 of it. Watford are 13th at the moment, yet everyone says they'll be one of the tough tests to see where we are really at... yet they don't make your top half of the table test so wouldn't class as a tough test.

Equally, people were saying WBA would be a tough test, but they are not top half currently either. Huddersfield were play off finalists last season... do you think many people in this league would have put them 2nd from bottom with just above a point for every two games? No.

As in all sports, the primary job is to beat the opponents you face on any given day. You have to remember that we beat Man City with arguably a much depleted side in the Premier League. We failed to stay up. The test isn't the tough teams. It's consistent results, the 2pts a game average. It's getting promoted.

Villa won promotion via the play offs, you think they care they failed to match up to the teams above them at the end of the season? 

It is really strange this constant doing-down of our wins by some - most would be quite happy with 23pts from 11 games.  In a fledgling league, positions change all the time and we can’t help the fixture list we’ve been given - when we played Bristol they were a form team and I think in 4th, but it’s pretty irrelevant as you can only play the side in front of you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Further to my post, I am watching Stove v Watford and what I saw yesterday that disappointed me is far better than what I am watching. I cannot believe some of the play. How Gayle chose Stoke must be down to wages.

Are Watford cooking on gas at the moment - think they are one-up…

14 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I was enthusiastic about all 3 of the midfield signings. Not so much because of where're they were from or how much they cost but because of style of player that was being described to me were exactly what we needed. Hayden was probably the biggest signal of intent I've seen from our transfer team in ages (probably since Rhodes?)

Cantwell looked on it pre season and the other names you mentioned are all good championship players, Sinani even started the previous playoff final. I will admit some of my confidence did come from 2 players that a lot had given up on in Sargent and Rashica. So 50/50 there then.

I would have liked us to sign a 4th central defender but I wasn't actually apprehensive about Omobamidele at all. He's been a natural in the side from day 1 and honestly I didn't even consider how few games he'd actually played prior.

Winger is clearly our weakest position, especially as it seems Smith favours more traditional wingers. Cantwell, Dowell and Sinani are all very good Championship players that could be top end players in the right system.

I don't think I'm overrating our squad guys either. I mean they're playing a lot of minutes, we're 1 point off top and we've not even played well for more than 15 mins in a game yet.

Then I am not sure you know what you want.

You are berating a team for not winning how you want them to win? You don't "feel" it. And you expected them to be doing this well...

You can get excited about signings, but untill you see them kick a ball for us, you don't know how they will progress and perform for us. That's just how it works. Wolfswinkel, by all accounts, wasn't a rubbish player but it didn't work out for him here.

Rhodes, as you say, came to us and then essentially played 2nd fiddle to some random, barely heard of Finish striker.

In my view we had a good squad going into this season. Hayden is a good signing for a position we had struggled to fill for a good 2-3 seasons now, despite trying. It's unfortunate his injury flared up, though we just have to wait 10 days from whenever those started. In some ways, if it isn't until after the World Cup I could take that. It'll be like having another new signing, and whilst we are at times muddling through, the positives I can see are that those players who may well be given more license when he comes in, will have been well versed in how we will need to dig in against teams that really push us.

Essentially, I think anyone who thinks we are doing any worse than expected are being greedy. Very, very few teams have it all their own way. We're not, and yet we are still picking up points. We don't have balance yet we outperform teams that do. Have to be happy with that. 

I hear terms like "unconvincing"... I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. You have to dominate the two phases of open play with the ball and without it. We'll lose the ball, it's inevitable, we'll make mistakes. That's why it's important we do well in both phases, not just one - which was a major issue under Farke, not to mention at times 60%+ possession, three chances, one on target.

We haven't hit our stride yet with passing, it's clear that is what is what they want to do despite the arguments otherwise. Smith wants them to use the ball with more urgency, not just to hoof it, but to also not get stuck in all of the ball being used in front of the defence, makes it too easy to defend. 

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Converting more chances comes down 100% to the players on the pitch. If that's your only complaint then you might as well complain that we don't have a billion pound squad. 

Maybe converting more chances is as simple as hitting the target rather than putting your shot or header the wrong side of the post. 

I'm not complaining, just observing a fact. If the other team blocks the shot, or their keeper saves it fair enough. But make them work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

IMG_20221002_163302.thumb.jpg.5ecb44b168e03ab33bee03916ab11de6.jpg

I have said before that stats don't mean much. Its goals that win matches. Reading are 3rd and West Brom are 4th from bottom. Agent Bruce doing a grand job ruining a possible favourite.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have said before that stats don't mean much. Its goals that win matches. Reading are 3rd and West Brom are 4th from bottom. Agent Bruce doing a grand job ruining a possible favourite.

It seems winning means nothing, unbeaten runs mean nothing, shots on target mean nothing, the league table means nothing.

Those 'stats' were in reply to the previous post btw🙃

Just for you @keelansgrandad Goals...

IMG_20221002_165433.thumb.jpg.1fc2877dfdb057822dd7d349fb54e4e6.jpg

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 2