14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What more could you ask for? Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone 😉

8 unbeaten now. We had 6 wins in a row before our last game, which made it 7 unbeaten. Now we are 7 wins from 8 with the other game being a draw.  

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What more could you ask for? 

Taking our chances. Better team will (and in the PL do) punish us for that consistent failure. 

Hopefully we can keep rolling but I still think we're going to end up a flat track bully. I believe the only current top half side we've beaten is Sunderland and that was undeserved. The rest of October will be massive.

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Taking our chances. Better team will (and in the PL do) punish us for that consistent failure. 

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, let’s just enjoy the moment for now 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Surfer said:

Need to forget about the PL at the moment. We're not in it, and we're 1/4 of the way into a Championship season...

We held onto more posession under Farke which perhaps is why people think of it being easier on the eye, despite the sideways passing and at times, the really slow passing that undid good positions.

IF you want to worry about the premier league, then consider despite that possession, despite breezing through the championship, we finished bottom of the premier league twice.

As so many on here used to say of Farke when we struggled, isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result?

When you look at Smith, Villa had to gain promotion the hard way, but look at them now. As I have said before, perhaps we were too well built for dominating the championship and not well enough balanced to seriously make a go of it in the premier league? 

• Like 2

My point is we could have (maybe should have) won today 3-1 or so, and just scraped home because we can't score. Hanley an example, how many time does he go up as our threat at corners, how many times does he actually put a header on target?

So yeah we aren't in the premier league, and yeah we may get promoted anyway, but we need to find a solution to this problem. 

That's my feedback, along with please don't ever wear that dog's vomit kit ever again. 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

how many time does he go up as our threat at corners, how many times does he actually put a header on target?

Goreham said on commentary that he scored 1 goal a season the 6 seasons he's been here. 

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Hopefully we can keep rolling but I still think we're going to end up a flat track bully. I believe the only current top half side we've beaten is Sunderland and that was undeserved. The rest of October will be massive.

The unfairness of scoring more than the opposition.

Edited by PockthorpePete
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Yeah but 20 out of 24 teams are that flat track in my view.

Even our last promotion under Farke we weren't all that v the bigger teams. We lost twice to both Bournemouth and Watford.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, let’s just enjoy the moment for now 👍

Sadly some seem only to gain enjoyment from putting us down. I wonder how many other ex PL club fans are saying tonight "Why can;t we be more like Norwich ?"

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

There's just 8 points between bottom 3 and top 6, and just 4 between bottom 3 and "top half".

Given this, do you think the fact these teams are in the bottom half of the table has anything to do with the fact we have beaten them?

October is a massive month for us with some tough away games. 2018/19 we only lost 6 games and 7 in 2020/21 so not much margin for error in terms of auto-promotion.

Our squad depth is impressive especially when you add in the players still to return from injury and also we have another transfer window to plug any gaps.

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

that dog's vomit kit ever again. 

I thought someone had rubbed a magnet on my telly. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah but 20 out of 24 teams are that flat track in my view.

Even our last promotion under Farke we weren't all that v the bigger teams. We lost twice to both Bournemouth and Watford.

I do think there's a lot of parity in quality of squads in the Championship but the organisation and cleverness that I think will beat our current selves if we don't significantly improve. Hopefully I'm just over(or under)thinking it.

Take the point on last time around even if there were pretty significant points of interest around all 4 of those games (Tantrums, new manager, red card and booze).

20 minutes ago, Ian said:

There's just 8 points between bottom 3 and top 6, and just 4 between bottom 3 and "top half".

Given this, do you think the fact these teams are in the bottom half of the table has anything to do with the fact we have beaten them?

Nah......it's just pure coincidence 😉

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

October is a massive month for us with some tough away games. 2018/19 we only lost 6 games and 7 in 2020/21 so not much margin for error in terms of auto-promotion.

Our squad depth is impressive especially when you add in the players still to return from injury and also we have another transfer window to plug any gaps.

I think we should be grateful we came through today without another injury. Unless Cantwells 'knock' can be counted.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Apparently the Sky highlights don't show our goal.

Good therapy for some on here 😉

haha, good one NN, and maybe we should start a thread for them?

56 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

🤣

By all accounts... as in all reports I have seen, Sunderland gave it a go, but never really threatened. If you think that means our victory was undeserved then you've really painted yourself into the "clutching at straws" camp of trying to find something to have a go at.

However, you are also wrong. We beat Bristol City who are in 12th which puts them top half.

As I keep saying to people, we don't know where teams will finish this season, and that's about over a season rather than 1/4 of it. Watford are 13th at the moment, yet everyone says they'll be one of the tough tests to see where we are really at... yet they don't make your top half of the table test so wouldn't class as a tough test.

Equally, people were saying WBA would be a tough test, but they are not top half currently either. Huddersfield were play off finalists last season... do you think many people in this league would have put them 2nd from bottom with just above a point for every two games? No.

As in all sports, the primary job is to beat the opponents you face on any given day. You have to remember that we beat Man City with arguably a much depleted side in the Premier League. We failed to stay up. The test isn't the tough teams. It's consistent results, the 2pts a game average. It's getting promoted.

Villa won promotion via the play offs, you think they care they failed to match up to the teams above them at the end of the season? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not really a problem if you're consistently beating the smaller sides. In Ferguson's final season at Man Utd, their results against their closest rivals weren't great, but they won 18 out of 18 against the bottom nine.

Incidentally, it was 19 wins out of 20 against the bottom half: we finished 11th and beat them at Carrow Road.

We're doing the minimum we should be with this squad at our disposal really. Want to see us comprehensively beating teams at some point though rather than it always being mega hard work!

46 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I do think there's a lot of parity in quality of squads in the Championship but the organisation and cleverness that I think will beat our current selves if we don't significantly improve. Hopefully I'm just over(or under)thinking it.

Take the point on last time around even if there were pretty significant points of interest around all 4 of those games (Tantrums, new manager, red card and booze).

I'm sure you'd afford Smith those same significant points of interest...

Look, the results can't be argued. We are better than the other two relegated teams who out performed us in the Prem.

Those saying our squad / manager were midtable fodder at the start of the season are starting to look silly.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

We're doing the minimum we should be with this squad at our disposal really. Want to see us comprehensively beating teams at some point though rather than it always being mega hard work!

Hope you don't mind me saying, but I think peoples' expectations are completely unrealistic if the minimum we should be getting is 22 points from the last 24 (despite no recognised left back).

• Like 1