TeemuVanBasten

Who should be next England manager?

Country seems to be universally fed up with Southgate, and he's failing now, selects his faves regardless of club form also. 

But who would be better? 

I'm personally not a fan of having a foreign manager in charge of the England team, I'd possibly make an exception for a foreign manager with a lot of Premier League experience.

I can't really think of anybody who would take the job right now, that's the problem. The FA would do something silly like appoint Phil Neville because he did well with the women's team or give Chris Hughton the job because he's a nice guy. Or even worse, Rooney.

Got a feeling we may have to wait for another round of Prem sackings first, e.g. wait for Eddie Howe to be disposed of when the Saudis consider their squad good enough for Pochettino.

Howe would at least be likely to find a place for Maddison and wouldn't tolerate donkeys like Maguire at centre back. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think it will be Gerrard. Getting a top foreign coach here mid season (assuming Southgate goes after the WC) will be extremely difficult unless there are some sackings elsewhere.

Gerrard isn't going to get the Liverpool job anytime soon and would jump at the opportunity.

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think it will be Gerrard. Getting a top foreign coach here mid season (assuming Southgate goes after the WC) will be extremely difficult unless there are some sackings elsewhere.

Gerrard isn't going to get the Liverpool job anytime soon and would jump at the opportunity.

Gerrard is miles off (hopefully)

With the resources, time and availability of players he's had this season, Lampard has been the more impressive manager of the two when looking at playing style and tactical awareness.

And I wouldn't want Lampard as England manager either. Yet.

Brian Clough.

It was a normal battle cry years ago.

As for today, and somehow I don't see Southgate getting the sack, if I could replace him it would be with Cooper.

International management is a totally different ball game to club football and form in club football is totally irrelevant. Southgate proves that he has been the most successful manager we have had in recent years outshining Sven, Capello etc… 

You need someone who is going to create a happy platform for the players and accept that you are not going to much if any input into these players game or careers.

Therefore it is made for ex players who have played a lot of international football plenty of those guys around these days.

• Like 1

I did think Graham Potter was a shoe in but his recent move to Chelsea cuts him out at least for the short term,I’d like to see him given a chance and he looks like the FAs type 

Could Brendan Rodgers be a realistic option? I know he's not English but he's not far off...

With managers like Potter now taking up at Chelsea it seems that Rodgers cycle ending at Leicester may naturally coincide with the England job opening up (if Qatar is going to be a continuation of current form under Southgate).

He's also got a good record with youngsters, plays a decent style of football - and has done well at all clubs he's been at. The biggest criticism I've seen for him reading elsewhere is about player recruitment which is where the wheels came off a bit at Liverpool and also Leicester (although not sure how much of that is his fault for the latter). This obviously wouldn't be the same kind of factor on the international stage so could be a good platform for him to work?

Feels like Southgate has the job for life to be honest, can't see him going anywhere soon unfortunately. 

I'd love to see Mourinho take the job. 

All England managers make these mistakes, errors and lose their way under the enormous pressure.   No one would be better, we just don’t have the quality in midfield to satisfy the completely unrealistic expectations!   

Players can’t keep the ball against the best, we end up losing shape and composure then the game.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

All England managers make these mistakes, errors and lose their way under the enormous pressure.   No one would be better, we just don’t have the quality in midfield to satisfy the completely unrealistic expectations!   

Players can’t keep the ball against the best, we end up losing shape and composure then the game.    

Exactly. This is a symptom of the classic old trend of large swathes of the population hugely overrating English players or indeed the team. Net result is to then blame the manager.

The defence is not up to it at higher international levels. It'll do against European makeweights in qualifying but is not good enough at higher levels. That's why Southgate has to play a cautious style and somewhat blunt the attack in the process.

Put it this way, remember the 5-3 against Kosovo? Kosovo are average by European standards. Imagine a Brazil or Argentina against that showing. England would get countered off the pitch and battered. Like 0-4 against Hungary.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Brian Clough.

It was a normal battle cry years ago.

As for today, and somehow I don't see Southgate getting the sack, if I could replace him it would be with Cooper.

Would Cooper want the England job, what with him being Welsh?

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Could Brendan Rodgers be a realistic option? I know he's not English but he's not far off...

With managers like Potter now taking up at Chelsea it seems that Rodgers cycle ending at Leicester may naturally coincide with the England job opening up (if Qatar is going to be a continuation of current form under Southgate).

He's also got a good record with youngsters, plays a decent style of football - and has done well at all clubs he's been at. The biggest criticism I've seen for him reading elsewhere is about player recruitment which is where the wheels came off a bit at Liverpool and also Leicester (although not sure how much of that is his fault for the latter). This obviously wouldn't be the same kind of factor on the international stage so could be a good platform for him to work?

At least Rodgers would pick Maddison.

52 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

we just don’t have the quality in midfield to satisfy the completely unrealistic expectations

Difficult to put the quality in midfield if you don't put them in the squad, James Maddison was the best English playmaker last season in the Premier League.

I've wondered for a while if national teams will start to move away from a traditional manager model. I could see a version where you have something similar to our 'executive commitee' and a team of established coaches.

I don't think that is what going to happen here, but I do wonder for the future and the changing game.

It seems the majority of posters prefer a comedy response or pointing out what's wrong with English (and British) football.

That's fair enough but also highlights why it's still likely Southgate will still have the job, even after the World Cup. There isn't much of an alternative!

I'm wondering if some form joint appointment involving Wiegman might be possible. That lady knows how to win a football tournament!

Tbh I still think Southgate is doing a solid job, and it is hard to think someone will come in before the world Cup.  After the world Cup I can see Cooper being outed at the right time, and fitting the profile 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Tbh I still think Southgate is doing a solid job, and it is hard to think someone will come in before the world Cup.  After the world Cup I can see Cooper being outed at the right time, and fitting the profile 

I'm sure many would agree the England job is a rather poisoned chalice 

How about some chap called Gareth Southgate? Apparently took a team that had achieved nothing for years to a Semi and then Final of major football tournaments just a couple of years ago. Might be worth a shout.

• Like 1

Southgate has done well in terms of achievement but did it playing poorly and with a bit of luck. Sounds familiar. When his team came up against anyone decent, they failed. Now, we are failing against very average teams and still playing poorly.

He has reasonable players in his squad but chooses to ignore those who might require a small change in tactics. He always sticks to his shape, playing for a 0-0 and hoping to get lucky.

As someone else said above, only Kane would get a sniff at a place in an elite international team. That's where we are as a country - we are producing good players still, but our international manager doesn't use them properly.

The top clubs buying up the talent and not playing them doesn't help, of course.

Kane, Maddison and Bellingham should be the first names on the teamsheet; then Rice and Pickford. The rest are all a bit meh.

But the answer to the question is Steve Cooper. An absolute shoe in.