Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Who would you say is the worst england player you have seen?

4 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Owen Hargreaves. Picked consistently yet never actually seemed to do anything. 

Really?

46 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Geoff Thomas 

Gerry Francis 

Ray Wilkins 

Peter Reid 

Stanley Bowles 

Chris Waddle 

Steve Bull 

John Fashanu

Club players who were exposed when stepping up to international level.

This is a ridiculous list. Wilkins earned 83 caps. Gerry Francis put in some impressive performance. This post is in line with the rubbish you usually post.

• Like 1

I don’t think can be a worst England player you are simple the best of a bad bunch….then again come on down Danny Mills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

This is a ridiculous list. Wilkins earned 83 caps. Gerry Francis put in some impressive performance. This post is in line with the rubbish you usually post.

Other than playing the ball sideways, what did Wilkins actually do? This is just not good enough for international level. England were very poor in the seventies and eighties and Wilkins summed them up nicely.

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In fairness, for a chunk of his formative England career he was played at right back. As a result, he was the target of the scapegoat gang.

When Hargreaves moved to center of midfield, he was brilliant. 

I think he had one decent game, might have been when we were knocked out of the world cup by Portugal, otherwise just an average cm. That said, Carlton Palmer was leagues below him but poor Carlton's already taken plenty of abuse.

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

I think he had one decent game, might have been when we were knocked out of the world cup by Portugal, otherwise just an average cm. That said, Carlton Palmer was leagues below him but poor Carlton's already taken plenty of abuse.

Yeah, but Carlton Palmer was so shít! It used to make me chuckle how bad he was at international level.

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

Yeah, but Carlton Palmer was so shít! It used to make me chuckle how bad he was at international level.

Carlton! Carlton! You're losing your shape! 

• Haha 1

David Nugent. Granted, he did score, but it was already going in and it would have been more impressive if he'd missed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commonsense said:

That’s pretty harsh in this context. He got 67 caps and was chosen by 6 different managers!

I know, shocking isn’t it!   How much those 6 get paid and where did they get us!   Note you didn’t include poor old Emule’s goals and assists there!   He ran a lot but really didn’t contribute enough by any stretch!  Yes, I also know he was a foil for Owen and others but he was poor!   Other players at the time missed out, completely bizarre!   

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

David Nugent. Granted, he did score, but it was already going in and it would have been more impressive if he'd missed!

As soon as he played his career nose dived. Been better off not accepting the call up a la Sutton!

14 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

There are plenty of awful one-cap wonders from recent years (Michael Ricketts, Seth Johnson and Gavin McCann are three that spring to mind without Googling)... I remember Paul Konchesky getting a couple of caps too, which was pretty rank. 'Our' David Bentley even managed a few caps before he got bored of football and faded into obscurity.

Have to say I came here to say Michael Ricketts and also Francis Jeffers. There are others but I'm struggling to put names to faces.  Didn't Kevin Davies get a single cap as well, which was incredibly weird at the time because he was like 33, and never looked like getting in the England squad, let alone a cap. It almost felt like a sympathy cap... I mean he was ok, and had a decent career... 

Jay Bothroyd too, another one that looked great for about a season, got a single England cap and then just returned to the EFL whence he came.  James Beattie perhaps too? 

13 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Geoff Thomas 

Gerry Francis 

Ray Wilkins 

Peter Reid 

Stanley Bowles 

Chris Waddle 

Steve Bull 

John Fashanu

Club players who were exposed when stepping up to international level.

Don't think Waddle and Wilkins should be on that list. Bowles was an entertainer who for me didn't get the recognition he deserved. Nigel Clough and Adam Johnstone were much worse

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Don't think Waddle and Wilkins should be on that list. Bowles was an entertainer who for me didn't get the recognition he deserved. Nigel Clough and Adam Johnstone were much worse

Waddle and Wilkins were simply ridiculous- I thought it was troll statement.

10 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Can't be believe no one's mentioned Luther blisset , am I showing my age?

I saw him on his England debut when he scored a hat trick against Luxembourg in a 9-0 victory. He won 13 more caps but didn’t score again.

8 hours ago, chicken said:

James Beattie perhaps?

Nah, he was a good Premier League centre forward, possibly even a bit unlucky to play at a time when we had so many centre forward options and in another decade might have got more caps. Think he achieved double figures in 5 or 6 seasons in the Prem for weaker sides, and scored 23 one season. 

He was a good number 9. Did have a couple of seasons at the end when he looked fat and slow and should have dropped down a level, which might have damaged his legacy (and your perception) somewhat. 

Interesting question as it could be (and seems to be) interpretedany different ways. For example:

Luther blisset may have been an awful player for England but there is no way he was actually an awful player.

Jay boothroyd was a pretty crap player who played for England 

And then the likes of John fashanu or Joey Barton are awful people who played for England but were actually alright on the football pitch (not great for either of those I'll grant you)

Andy Cole is worth an honourable mention too.

He was dynamite for years with Newcastle and later Man Utd, but simultaneously terrible for England during that period. 

56 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Andy Cole is worth an honourable mention too.

He was dynamite for years with Newcastle and later Man Utd, but simultaneously terrible for England during that period. 

The striking options available to England from around the mid 90s to the early 00s were just ridiculous

Shearer, Wright, Fowler, Sheringham, Owen, Ferdinand, Cole, not even including the likes of Sutton, Phillips, Le Tissier, Collymore etc.

And this is supposedly the Golden generation of attacking talent for England ... 

• Like 1

Just found a few more honourable mentions who played under Sven ...  Turns out the peak bang-average players getting caps for England period wasn't necessarily Graham Taylor after all ...

Sean Davis (CDM - Fulham)

Jlloyd Samuel (CDM - Villa)

Chris Powell (FB - Charlton)

Alan Smith (CM / F - Leeds)

HTF did Alan Smith win 19 caps !?!?

3 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I saw him on his England debut when he scored a hat trick against Luxembourg in a 9-0 victory. He won 13 more caps but didn’t score again.

I remember that game, about '83? I know I was about 7.

The correct answer to this is if course Charlton Palmer. 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Joey Barton.

I'll stick up for Alan Smith (The Leeds/Manchester United one). On his day he wasn't a bad player.

Sir Alex Ferguson rarely went wrong in the transfer market.

Possibly pre-injury.  Possibly.  But even if you take into account his conversion from a striker to midfield in 2005 his goal scoring record wasn't good.  And personally I think he just hit that Tabloid pleasing note of running around and getting stuck in rather than being particularly good, but I can see how others may differ.

Mind you, I was about to claim that there  can't be many worse players to get  to19 caps, but thought I'd check the lists just to be certain.  I'm not going to be making that claim ...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Just found a few more honourable mentions who played under Sven ...  Turns out the peak bang-average players getting caps for England period wasn't necessarily Graham Taylor after all ...

Sean Davis (CDM - Fulham)

Jlloyd Samuel (CDM - Villa)

Chris Powell (FB - Charlton)

Alan Smith (CM / F - Leeds)

HTF did Alan Smith win 19 caps !?!?

On the HTF stakes, how did Des Walker get almost 60 caps?!?

Just now, cornish sam said:

On the HTF stakes, how did Des Walker get almost 60 caps?!?

Walker was - for a time - one of the best centre backs in Europe - really quick, great timer of tackles, read the game pretty well. 

Then he just inexplicably lost it.  Don't know if he got an injury or lost some pace or confidence or what, but he just plummeted.  I have a vague memory of an unhappy spell in Italian football where he ended up being played at fullback as being either the cause or a symptom of a sudden decline, but couldn't swear to the reason.

• Like 1