Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Who would you say is the worst england player you have seen?

Given there has been quite the uh, "debate" about Harry Maguire and if he deservers to even be playing for England I thought I would try and raise a little bit of a conversation. Fair to say there have been some duds over the years, from Scott Carson to Tom Cleverley and of course who could forget Stewart Downing (Did he really make over 30 appearances for England..?) but who would you say deservers the title of worst player you have seen play for England?

There are plenty of awful one-cap wonders from recent years (Michael Ricketts, Seth Johnson and Gavin McCann are three that spring to mind without Googling)... I remember Paul Konchesky getting a couple of caps too, which was pretty rank. 'Our' David Bentley even managed a few caps before he got bored of football and faded into obscurity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

There are plenty of awful one-cap wonders from recent years (Michael Ricketts, Seth Johnson and Gavin McCann are three that spring to mind without Googling)... I remember Paul Konchesky getting a couple of caps too, which was pretty rank. 'Our' David Bentley even managed a few caps before he got bored of football and faded into obscurity.

Don't forget Jack Cork, Joey Barton and Jon Flanagan! What a trio that is..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Blimey. Some of those guys mentioned above got England caps? They barely deserves to play in the top flight!

Carlton Palmer 

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

Blimey. Some of those guys mentioned above got England caps? They barely deserves to play in the top flight!

Carlton Palmer 

Now you're talking! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Mick Mills, Terry Butcher, Kevin Beattie and Paul Mariner.

More than a touch biased. 

I think Terry Butcher always played well for England

I saw a few local derbys  around that time and Butcher unfortunately for us was usually the best player on the pitch, and I don't remember the others being too bad. I believed that we were  once interested in Mariner before he signed for Ipswich.

Maguire is in terrible form, but was certainly one of our standout players at the last world cup. He's fully deserved his place in the past and shouldn't be on a list of complete duds imo.  He does need a regain some semblance of form before selected again though. 

Michael Ricketts on the other hand... 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

My initial thoughts were Carlton Cole and Zat Knight, but those first three you named will take some beating.

England's No.6 had some real poor England appearances.

Not only did he managed to injure himself with England B and we lost him start of season, he had the gaff in the 2010 World Cup, and managed to be one of the only few England keepers to get sent off.

You'd say it was more bad luck for him, but at least he had a sense of humour about it all. 🙂

image.png.b807bb5207c67a91fd3f8f9303f5945e.png

Jack Cork, Jay Boothroyd, Matt Jarvis, Joey Barton, Alan Thompson, Anthony Gardener, Francis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts, Michael Ball, Gavin McCan, Seth Johnson, Steve Guppy.

My word that's a long list of average garbage isn't it!  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Jack Cork, Jay Boothroyd, Matt Jarvis, Joey Barton, Alan Thompson, Anthony Gardener, Francis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts, Michael Ball, Gavin McCan, Seth Johnson, Steve Guppy.

My word that's a long list of average garbage isn't it!  

Agree with almost all of them but Matt Jarvis could actually play football if he was fit, which was basically never so maybe I do have to agree with you on that one.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Badger said:

You missed Trevor Whymark. Easy mistake so you are forgiven 😂

Whoever it is, the chances are that they were capped by Graham Taylor.  Random selection -

Carlton Palmer

Keith Curle

David Bardsley

Brian Deane

Geoff Thomas

Andy Sinton

Tony Daley

Earl Barrett

Andy Gray

Stuart Ripley

David White

John Beresford

Paul Stewart

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You missed Trevor Whymark. Easy mistake so you are forgiven

Saw him with his wife by the coast a short while back.  Really lovely couple, people with us said he's suffering with dementia poor ****.

Not that I want to make you feel bad, of course.  But just a shout out to the guy reading his name on here, and with our recent charity match - I didn't really consider the link to football at the time.

Used to play against his brother (Paul?) in local football when I was a teen -  One of the village teams out Diss way, much older than me, but man were they both tough - Kind of guys where the ball THUDS off their chest.  I can imagine Maguire being ever so much that stature in person.

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Bentley was a good player to be fair, before he lost interest. 

46 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Whoever it is, the chances are that they were capped by Graham Taylor.  Random selection -

Carlton Palmer

Keith Curle

David Bardsley

Brian Deane

Geoff Thomas

Andy Sinton

Tony Daley

Earl Barrett

Andy Gray

Stuart Ripley

David White

John Beresford

Paul Stewart

That’s an impressive list! I’d always thought Carlton Palmer, but when you see a list including Keith Curle maybe I should think again. There are a few on there I have no memory whatsoever of, who was Earl Barrett?

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Emule Heskey!!!! No doubt, absolute donkey!   

That’s pretty harsh in this context. He got 67 caps and was chosen by 6 different managers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Somerset exile said:

More than a touch biased. 

I think Terry Butcher always played well for England

I saw a few local derbys  around that time and Butcher unfortunately for us was usually the best player on the pitch, and I don't remember the others being too bad. I believed that we were  once interested in Mariner before he signed for Ipswich.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't think Badger was being serious. They were all great players for club and country even if that club was sadly in IP1. 😀

I see my instinctive response to the thread title "Carton Palmer" already has a few mentions, as has my follow up "Geoff Thomas."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That’s an impressive list! I’d always thought Carlton Palmer, but when you see a list including Keith Curle maybe I should think again. There are a few on there I have no memory whatsoever of, who was Earl Barrett?

Earl Barrett was one of those not quite tall enough to be a centre-back / not quite technical enough to be a full-backs that seemed to proliferate through English football in the mid-nineties.  He played for Oldham mainly (and Villa, Wednesday and Everton as well apparently but I really have no memory of him at any of those clubs.)  Decent pro but would never have come near a sniff of becoming an England International under any other regime .

Tony Daley was a terrible player who used to run off the end of the pitch (albeit at speed) with the ball fairly regularly.  Think Placheta but with less spatial awareness if you can imagine that.

My award would go to either of the above.   With special mentions for Keith Curle and David White ...

Plenty of bang-average players over the years who have managed to nick a handful of caps. Off the top of my head:

Leon Osman

Jay Bothroyd

Steven Warnock

Ryan Shawcross

Jon Flanagan

Carlton Cole

David Dunn

Out of those listed above the most annoying is probably Osman. Roy Hodgson never gave Holt a run-out when he had form as he was "too old", yet he gave Osman a go when they are the same age...

Edited by TheRock

Geoff Thomas 

Gerry Francis 

Ray Wilkins 

Peter Reid 

Stanley Bowles 

Chris Waddle 

Steve Bull 

John Fashanu

Club players who were exposed when stepping up to international level.

Edited by Big Vince