Sign in to follow this  

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the comeback tonight was more down to the players thinking at 0-2 "**** this" as opposed to anything Southgate did or didn't do. 

Almost certainly right. They themselves decided to come onto the pitch, while others decided to leave. I thought the manager made the substitutions.

Perhaps (as ever) you are talking bollox

This is why Southgate has England playing cautiously - the defence is not up to it if we play a Farke-esque game.

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

Thought I would mention this as in the headlines at the moment. For the first time at Wembley tonight we tried the safe standing. Be careful where you choose your season ticket as we had a guy in front of us well over 6 ft. Couldn’t see a thing when the ball was down Englands right ( 2nd half ) ( couldn’t ask him to suit down either lol ). Not necessarily a good place for kids if they want to see anything as most adults in front of you would seem that tall.

Another problem ( certainly at Wembley ) we’re the seats next to the safe standing area. It was a natural thing to stand, but then using the ground rules the stewards constantly made them sit. Those next to the safe standing area struggled for a view.

Have to say I was all for safe standing but it won’t suit every ground, Spurs however was amazing.

It costs too much to get right, as you have identified it will just generate more problems which in most grounds are just not solvable. As we now know, safe standing will never recapture the feeling and atmosphere of the old terraces, I really don't see the point.

If you want to stand at Football (apart from the away end), go to non-league matches, you can watch with a pint in your hand too! What's not to like.

I think the attitude to the English national team is symptomatic of attitudes in all English football. It's not enough to be good, you must win everything all of the time right up to every knockout tournament. You must attack all of the time, never mind that the opposition are scoring against us even while we're being cautious. 

It was an entertaining game of football against a side we've had a long rivalry with that finished honours even. No complaints from me. 

I don't understand why anybody, players or management, want anything to do with the national team. It's a thankless task. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

This is why Southgate has England playing cautiously - the defence is not up to it if we play a Farke-esque game.

Interesting point but as somebody that goes to most England games I would say what happened was a bit like the debate we see on this forum about NCFC. Most managers were trying to attack all the time, outcome we regularly lost to not very good teams and the managers were sacked. Tournament football which is in the main is what International football is, a different game to what we see in our leagues. We rebuilt from the bottom and with the success of the youth teams, came the success of the 1st team, with every English team at each age level playing the same way, purely to win tournaments.

We have got very close, especially a couple of years ago in the Euros and believe me not only did our defence which included Walker, Maguire and Stone look exceptional, their names ( especially Maguire ) were sung loudly by the 80,000 in Wembley for 90 minutes, treating them like national heroes. 
Last night saw a lot of the same players playing that are no longer playing with the same confidence as they are not even getting regular football at their clubs, this is the EPL in action. I wouldn’t have played Maguire last night, but based on what he has done for England, who would you bring in ? Most centre half’s playing outside the top 6 or 7 teams get battered when they play against the top 6 or 7 teams, which is the standard they are playing against at international level.

Its a hard one to call but I suspect if we got to the World Cup final after drawing all the games 0-0 and winning on penalties and then win the World Cup in the same way those same players will come back national heroes.

Whatever happens after the World Cup I guess Southgate will be gone, but I can think of nobody better to ‘ have a chance ‘ of winning this World Cup. Once he is gone though it will be back to square one for the new manager.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Almost certainly right. They themselves decided to come onto the pitch, while others decided to leave. I thought the manager made the substitutions.

Perhaps 😏

14 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Thankyou for saving me the trouble.