Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How are our defenders getting on? Well, here you go.

Told you Hanley was useless; or is it our defensive midfielders shielding him from having to do any work?  😄😉🤔

• Haha 1

ermmmmmm

if we play well and keep possession up the field then we won't expect lots of defensive duels per 90 mins would we?

So being on the left side shows teams that defend well as a team and being towards the top shows they are performing well as individuals

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

A. Dijksteel... only because of the name

Imagine if we could get S. Kuntz as well

17 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Told you Hanley was useless; or is it our defensive midfielders shielding him from having to do any work?  😄😉🤔

Haha, for starters it shows Hanley wins a higher % of aerial duels than any other CB in the league!

Edited by hogesar

16 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So Hanley is dark green and Andy O is a light orange . That’s exactly what I thought . Glad I’m up with the data. 

That's only aerial duels though, by the looks of it. 

Omobamidele is above average in terms of duels won, Hanley is average. Neither of them engage in many duels, presumably because we don't have to defend as much as other teams. 

I'm guessing we can read into this that Hanley is better in the air and big Andy on the ground. 

Under both Farke and Smith we don't challenge and tackle enough for my liking. We prefer to rely on shape, numbers and defending space. There's probably a stat out there that states that it's more effective, which it probably is. But our passivity off the ball has bothered me for some time, we haven't been an aggressive team since the Lambert days and weren't prior to that either from my memory from when I started supporting.

I don't get so enthused about watching the ball be passed sideways and backwards, but I loved and still do love watching an aggressive, hard working team, even if it's at the expense of quality. I'm aware I'm in the minority here and Norwich fans generally prefer to watch a tippy tappy passing team, but I personally love blood and thunder, attacking football and watching our team out work and out run the opposition. A few neat passes in the middle of the park always gets a light clap, but how much better is it watching someone like Holt running at and attacking defenders who have the ball or watching a Tettey run and nick the ball off of someone and leave them in a heap on the ground? I don't want Lambert back or any stupid notion like that, but I do wish we were a more aggressive, nasty and hard working team and I wish we targeted a different profile of player with a more aggressive mentality

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

On 26/09/2022 at 16:39, shefcanary said:

How many hundred aerial duals would you expect our centre backs to win each game? 😆😉🤔

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

How many hundred aerial duals would you expect our centre backs to win each game? 😆😉🤔

Oh at least a couple! 😉🤣

• Haha 1

Our high possession stats mean the number of duels is going to be low,  so the left right axis relatively meaningless.   

As we know Hanley is very good in the air (although as his set piece efforts at the other end show and relative lack of goals show the direction of his headers can be a little random)  - but he is bang average overall - just below the median line,  indicating he is playing a little below his levels,  an average CB in the champs when he is usually one of the best.

While Omo may be below average aerially (does he get targetted because teams know Hanley is so strong?) he is in the top 10 CBs for total challenge successes.

Dijksteel is strong but would be costly,  while Jacob Greaves at HUll as a 22 yo who is definitely heading in the right direction and has caught my eye,  as would Cabango.   Ajayi and Dickie are probably at their peak and i would be less interested now

Edited by ZLF