Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Blackpool away... anyone else making a weekend of it?

Hi folks. Just wondering who else is going up to Blackpool this weekend? Any recommendations for things to do/places to go aside from the obvious tower/illuminations/pleasure beach? Myself and Mrs Wolf are driving up on Friday and back on Sunday.

And for those who have been before, what's the best pre-match pub? The Old Bridge House, The Albert and The Manchester Bar all get a mention... any thoughts?

Fan guide to the stadium here for any other first-timers: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/bloomfield-road-blackpool.html

I would have done but have to work, but my son his girlfriend and a number of his friends are making a weekend of it, so there’s about 15 for your numbers.

• Like 1

I was in Blackpool for a punk festival last month and there are loads of pubs in the centre but the ground is about 30 minutes away by foot. I was staying at the Travelodge which is next to the ground and I didn’t see any pubs close by. 

I’m going but it looks like I might be driving due to the train strike. If I’m going by train it would be good to meet up before the game for a drink or 3 😜

• Like 1

If you want somewhere a bit quieter and you're going by car, then Poulton le Fylde or Lytham St Annes are close by, much nicer than Blackpool for dining options, and not too hard to get to by car, Lytham especially. Freckleton's a bit further out but is a lovely spot.

Obvious downside with Poulton is you'd pretty much be going through Blackpool town centre to get to the ground, whereas with Lytham and Freckleton you can pretty much take the coastal road in from the south, which I don't think is as likely to be packed, but take that with a pinch of salt as a non-driver.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Thanks 1

we are also making a long weekend,,,,

There are the world Firework Championships Saturday night,,,, near the tower

Also the best way to see the lights is to go by Tram, you can ger a 24 hour ticket which is cheaper if you download the App.

If you want to go up the tower you need to pre book and booking.com is cheaper.

Every Litle Helps!

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! We've already got a hotel booked that's just a stone's throw from the ground, so we'll probably stay central(ish)... although maybe grabbing a Sunday lunch in Lytham on the way home might be nice.

Cheers @Mr_Biff1961 for the heads up... my missus absolutely loves fireworks, so that's going to be a must-do! 

For food recommendations, Quilligan’s do a great breakfast and they do a lovely pizza at Stefani’s Pizzeria. Both are in St John’s Square which is next to the Winter Gardens.

• Like 1

Its a complete dump chock full of smackheads, and not by accident but by design. Possibly the worst place I've ever been.

My top tip is to sack it off and spend the time in Morcecambe or Lytham St Annes.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Not far wrong, it’s only because taking Grandson and will have a full Saturday with the Tower, football, illuminations and the fireworks.

will be arriving late Friday and leaving about 10-00 Sunday so can just about tolerate it!

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its a complete dump chock full of smackheads, and not by accident but by design. Possibly the worst place I've ever been.

My top tip is to sack it off and spend the time in Morcecambe or Lytham St Annes.

Morecambe's completely the wrong side (and Lancaster's far nicer anyway). Lytham or Freckleton's the spot to stay, really.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Agreed. Smackheads the lot of them. Shysters and wideboys too. Best go to Lytham. A bit more class.

8 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Agreed. Smackheads the lot of them. Shysters and wideboys too. Best go to Lytham. A bit more class.

That dump makes Great Yarmouth look really upmarket 

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Agreed. Commies the lot of them. Hippies and plebs too. Best go to Lytham. A bit more class, wot-wot! Three piece suits, pocket watches, monocles, pipes and you know, private schools, mansions and a jolly good bit of snuff! None of that riff-raff.

Put that through google translate from Big Vince into English, that's what I got... 

Edited by chicken

Snobby comments about it being awful, although probably true, everywhere is the same.

Go down Anglia square, or walk through the Larkman in Norwich and it'll be just as lots have described as Blackpool.

Enjoy your weekend everyone who's going, work dictates I miss Saturday but i've always had a good time when staying up there

• Thanks 1

I am aware that it is an area of high social deprivation, a shame some people are so judgemental. I'm sure we'll manage to enjoy our weekend without looking down our noses at people who have been born into acute poverty with next to no life chances.

• Like 3

I stayed in a B&B for my last night and I remarked to the landlady that there seemed to be a lot of building work going on compared to when I was there last year. Apparently the council are spending £300 million on a development that they say will attract an extra 600,000 visitors a year and generate £75 million extra income and create 1,000 new jobs.

As for the suggestion of going to Morecambe instead, I’ve been there this year as well and it is certainly no better than Blackpool, with considerably less to do!

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I am aware that it is an area of high social deprivation, a shame some people are so judgemental. I'm sure we'll manage to enjoy our weekend without looking down our noses at people who have been born into acute poverty with next to no life chances.

Blackpool is mighty craic, not for people who take  themselves too seriously though. No posers or snobs please.  Its a fun town for visitors.     

11 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

As for the suggestion of going to Morecambe instead, I’ve been there this year as well and it is certainly no better than Blackpool, with considerably less to do!

Totally agree, Morecambe carried the same fear for personal safety but without the list of fun stuff to do!

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Totally agree, Morecambe carried the same fear for personal safety but without the list of fun stuff to do!

You really feared for your personal safety Hoggo? Briefly  or for your entire stay? What brought on this fear? More dodgy than 3 am on PoW rd?  

Try the docks area pubs in Plymouth , proper survival skills needed there mate.

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You really feared for your personal safety Hoggo? Briefly  or for your entire stay? What brought on this fear? More dodgy than 3 am on PoW rd?  

Try the docks area pubs in Plymouth , proper survival skills needed there mate.

Haha, not literally, no. But if you're used to the countryside of Norfolk only then it's a good idea for people to have their wits about them.... 🙂

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Haha, not literally, no. But if you're used to the countryside of Norfolk only then it's a good idea for people to have their wits about them.... 🙂

When you're used  to rural west cork , Norfolk  countryside seems busy Hoggo.  I love a bit of  urban shizzle now and again.....wouldnt want to live in  a  city though, id defo get complaints about the volume of my music......fortunately for  me , my nearest  neighbour  is my daughter ,  500m away as the crow flies.

• Haha 1

On 26/09/2022 at 22:45, Mr Angry said:

Spent 4 days in Blackpool last month, didn’t see anyone who looked like a smackhead. 

Is it true that if you are in Blackpool and dont see one then YOU are the smackhead?!? 😜