Could Bali so a job at RM/RW? We really lack a decent right sided winger with only Sinani able to play there 

Sam Byram is a proper full-back, Bali Mumba is not a full-back. 

As others have already suggested on this thread, he could potentially make a cracking right-winger though. The loan is doing exactly what you hope from a loan, i.e. regular football and boosting his confidence. 

Edited by Bovril
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I really like him as a player. He's one of very few players in our squad who are quick on the ball and have good enough close control, dribbling and pace to make it hard to get the ball off of them. Players like that are exciting and can make chances from nothing, Hernandez is similar but appears much more effective off the bench. Trouble is we don't play with wingbacks and we don't seem to want to play him as a forward so it's hard to see how he fits in here,. Iwouldn't play him at full back, you want players who can cover distance and defend reasonably well whereas Mumba is quick over small distances and can go around players who are defending deep so you want him high up the field, his height is also a real issue. 

I wish we'd give him a go at LW or RW again like we did v Swansea. I rarely disagree with the club about what a players best position is but i don't get our desire to turn him into a full bacl/wing back, he looks like he should be playing a similar role to Hernandez but on the right for me and I'll die on that hill. 

I almost wonder if he could be a number 10 for precisely those reasons. Give him a free role, tell him to make himself available for balls in the middle or coming off a flank like Buendia did, and just tell him to get his head up, run with the ball, and cause as much carnage as he can.

My god, those "red card" tackles were bad weren't they, cannot see for the life of me how they got away with them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Why is Bali Mumba not playing for us?

He was awesome against Swansea a few seasons ago and I thought he would be pushing on in this squad.

It is a disgrace he's been loaned out.

Bad management from Farke and now bad management from Smith. No excuses. 

Because its been decided that Aarons, Byram, Giannoulis and McCallum are all better? Because its been decided he needs a season of regular football for his development? 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

He was awesome against Swansea a few seasons ago and I thought he would be pushing on in this squad.

I love Bali Mumba, but have to point out that he failed to hold down a place in a poor Peterborough side last season. So its not as black and white as you may think. Maybe he took a long while to get over that severe injury, but based on game evidence, it wasn't a disgrace to loan him out. It was a way of getting him a run of games. And boy, has he benefitted and found his best position.

PS But Whittingham up front looked great as well. Those two were the difference between the sides.

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Bad management from Farke and now bad management from Smith. No excuses. 

Booo!!!

just boo

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Booo!!!

just boo

I just watched my Dalmatian puppy eat a crane fly as I was typing then I decided to stop because I saw your profile name. 

Nuff said. 

I like it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I just watched my Dalmatian puppy eat a crane fly as I was typing then I decided to stop because I saw your profile name. 

Nuff said. 

I like it.

Post of the day

I think that the game highlighted just how good Mumba is going forward, skill, pace, energy with a touch of class.

However his defensive work continues to let him down that left a lot to be desired,  often deeper than the rest of the line and playing ladapo on side or losing Jackson for several big chances.

I suspect it is this lack of focus that seems him playing in league one - until he improves that element of his game he will struggle to break through - however he is young enough to make that change and fulfil the potential he clearly has.

How people have described Bali is just the same as Giannoulis. How many times have we actually seen Bali play to say he can't defend? I could quite easily pick snippets and say Hanley can't defend.

I really hope the form he is showing at Argyle is permanent. That isn't the first good game or goal he has scored for them. I know season ticket holder's at Argyle who are raving about him.

Since Maddison I am always wary about players being loaned out when they could have dome a job for us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Because its been decided that Aarons, Byram, Giannoulis and McCallum are all better? Because its been decided he needs a season of regular football for his development? 

Yeah, it's fairly straight forward. Mumba struggled for Peterborough. Maybe this season in the third tier his age and experience has got him to a solid point - it certainly sounds like it. It doesn't mean he's anywhere near Gini's overall level yet.

• Like 2

I think he went to Pboro very much in the thick of a relegation clash. Difficult to justify continuing to play another clubs youth player in such a tricky situation, if they are clearly still learning.

...😉

Good to see him doing well though 

There is a difference in that Peterborough tried to play him as a full back in a four-man defence, whereas Plymouth play him as a wing-back, and suddenly he looks worth £5m+ of anyone's money. Really pleased for him as he plays with a smile and he brings a smile to supporters' faces.

I bet Dean Smith was smiling too, realising that he has a real talent that he may not have been aware of.

I am not a great watcher of televised footy, but yesterday's game was wonderful. So many positives. Also, there will have been a throng of referees watching and they will have all been alerted to the fact that Ipswich's armoury includes a fair degree of very unpleasant thuggery and serious foul play.

I like the look of McKenna but the halo wobbled and slipped as he was bested by Steven Schumacher. Luvverly!

PS And I have never before seen shot struck as cleanly as Bali's with LITERALLY no backlift. It defied human mechanics.

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pugin said:

There is a difference in that Peterborough tried to play him as a full back in a four-man defence, whereas Plymouth play him as a wing-back, and suddenly he looks worth £5m+ of anyone's money. Really pleased for him as he plays with a smile and he brings a smile to supporters' faces.

I bet Dean Smith was smiling too, realising that he has a real talent that he may not have been aware of.

I am not a great watcher of televised footy, but yesterday's game was wonderful. So many positives. Also, there will have been a throng of referees watching and they will have all been alerted to the fact that Ipswich's armoury includes a fair degree of very unpleasant thuggery and serious foul play.

I like the look of McKenna but the halo wobbled and slipped as he was bested by Steven Schumacher. Luvverly!

PS And I have never before seen shot struck as cleanly as Bali's with LITERALLY no backlift. It defied human mechanics.

Two cracking goals 👌 👏 

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

Charlie George was the best I've ever seen for zero backlift.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Great commentating, especially on the Argyle goals. Very impartial 🤣

Superb commentating 😃. Love your team , get in there Bali Boy . 

The man that scored Argyle’s leveller against Ipswich – and indeed forced the own goal that tied up the scores at Fratton Park – was Bali Mumba, and he praised his team-mates for the character continually shown by the squad.

“The lads were brilliant,” Bali said. “At 1-0 down we kept the faith, kept our belief, and kept going. We showed good character to get back into the game and to take all three points.

“We’ve shown in a few games that we can be down, but the character we have and the attitude means we were give it a good try. I thought the goal was coming. I’m happy that it was me that got the equaliser.

“I’m buzzing at the result.”

The goal came with a little over 20 minutes remaining. At the Devonport End, Ipswich had partially cleared a set piece, with Mumba picking up the ball on the edge of the area. He ran parallel to the edge of the penalty area, then unleashed an unstoppable effort into the corner from 20 yards.

It was Mumba’s second Argyle goal, but his first at Home Park, and the likeable wing-back delighted in celebrating with the Green Army, not only after his goal, but after Whittaker’s winner and at full-time too.

“I saw the ball land and my eyes lit up,” said Bali. “I thought: ‘why not? Go for it’. I missed a good chance in the first half; I should have done better with that. This time I saw the opportunity and I took it.

“The atmosphere was incredible. I’m thrilled to score at home in front of the fans. Especially at that end, it is something I will always remember. What a great moment.

“This is a good statement to put out there. People can say we are underdogs, but we are getting closer. This is three points closer to where we want to be. I’m just happy for the team, for the fans, and for the gaffer.

“It’s a good day overall, isn’t it?”

Edited by Mengo