Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Yankees v Red Sox

Also a Red Sox fan, but this season's dead in the water already, unfortunately. Don't really fancy watching the Yankees cruise into the playoffs 😞

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Also a Red Sox fan, but this season's dead in the water already, unfortunately. Don't really fancy watching the Yankees cruise into the playoffs 😞

Anyone would think we're cursed🤔

1 hour ago, overthebordercanary said:

Anyone for a bit of glorified rounders 🤔🤣

Hmmm. At the top levels, a baseball is pitched at around 95mph.  

Can someone explain this to me. I understand what a home run is and how it scores  but if from batting a player makes it to first or second base, how do they then yo on ti score from that and what if a player hs already on the first but the next batter also has to walk to first? Could a team score points if a player just moves one base at a time? 

I'm finding this intriguing 5o watch but struggling with the rules. After the first NY home run they had a player on first I think, but that player didn't have to or couldn't run when the next player knocked it for a home run? Surely they should have both been able to run and score?

9 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Can someone explain this to me. I understand what a home run is and how it scores  but if from batting a player makes it to first or second base, how do they then yo on ti score from that and what if a player hs already on the first but the next batter also has to walk to first? Could a team score points if a player just moves one base at a time? 

I'm finding this intriguing 5o watch but struggling with the rules. After the first NY home run they had a player on first I think, but that player didn't have to or couldn't run when the next player knocked it for a home run? Surely they should have both been able to run and score?

https://baseballtrainingworld.com/5-basic-baseball-rules-for-beginners/

Does this help? 

Wish there was a way to watch this without this annoying drip of a commentator, the English one I mean. Absolutely loves the sound of his own voice and won't shut up with the constant interjecting to compare it with cricket, where did they find this prat? Tempted to watch an American stream on a dodgy website he's that annoying. For people on here who understand the game well I bet he's annoying you even more.

Imagine having watching a football match with one American commentator constantly talking about himself, going on about pointless anecdotes and having people explain to him what the offside rule is or why they use throw ins. I get having someone there to help new viewers like me but he's painful to listen to

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't really follow baseball incredibly closely but Red Sox are the team I follow when I do. It was because of that ex-player that managed a bar in Boston... Sam Malone aka Ted Danson! 😅

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Wish there was a way to watch this without this annoying drip of a commentator, the English one I mean. Absolutely loves the sound of his own voice and won't shut up with the constant interjecting to compare it with cricket, where did they find this prat? Tempted to watch an American stream on a dodgy website he's that annoying. For people on here who understand the game well I bet he's annoying you even more.

Imagine having watching a football match with one American commentator constantly talking about himself, going on about pointless anecdotes and having people explain to him what the offside rule is or why they use throw ins. I get having someone there to help new viewers like me but he's painful to listen to

It’s a guy from the tailenders cricket podcast. A guitarist from the macabees I think?. Agree v annoying 

Agree on commentary, I’ve got the MLB app on my telly which gives me some free games, usually on a Sunday. It’s easier to pick up with the commentary on there plus there’s a bit more detail into the tactics and pitching

17 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hmmm. At the top levels, a baseball is pitched at around 95mph.  

Hmm. At the top levels, a rounders ball is pitched at 96 mph.....by a girl!!

😇

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hmm. At the top levels, a rounders ball is pitched at 96 mph.....by a girl!!

😇

Come now. We all know girls can’t throw.🪖

I actually really enjoyed that last night., It was the first time I've ever watched a MLB match and I found it really exciting and interesting. Once I understood the rules anyway. Think I'm going to check out some Brewers games because in sport I need to pick a side to keep me interested. Another bonus is that they play so often so it's usually on an evening if I feel like watching it now. I couldn't support a team like the Yankee's, I'd feel dirty and it it would be boring winning so often so I'll pick the Brewers. 

Can anyone explain the league system to me though? What series' are and why there are two separate divisions in simple terms like you'd explain to a child? Even the wiki which covered the american and nation leagues has me confused, it's not like Rugby union/league because the teams play each other some times but I don't get it. 

6 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Erm..... Surely we're all Brewers fans now??? 😏

Red Sox are the Manchester City of MLB. The 5th most successful franchise of all time, in both regular and post season win-loss stats. Best times were in recent decades. Red stockings (not sky blue?!!! Ed).

Obvious choice for glory-hunting Norwich fans 😉

Edited by GenerationA47

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Can anyone explain the league system to me though? What series' are and why there are two separate divisions in simple terms like you'd explain to a child? Even the wiki which covered the american and nation leagues has me confused, it's not like Rugby union/league because the teams play each other some times but I don't get it. 

I've been following it for over twenty years now and still not got to the bottom of it although it's probably better than football. Certainly more interesting, although I dearly love City. That's more passion than interest really. Until this year the National League and American Leagues had slightly different rules here and there (i.e the pitcher used to hit in the National League which was quite funny) but now they are  just about the same. Just think of it as two parallel universes. Both leagues have 15 teams with 5 in the east, 5 central and 5 west (divisions) and they all play each other but more often in their own league/division. They have a series of 2-4 games in one city on consequitive nights to avoid travel etc. This year the top 6 teams of each league will get to the playoffs and be whittled down to 4, 2 and 1 in a number of series (3,5 and 7 games) throughout October and then the winner of each league will play in the 7 game world series, which can mean 7 very long nights as you have to watch it live to avoid spoilers of course. I hope I've got that about right but feel free to correct me anyone. Dodgers and Yankees seem favourites for that final series but on past performance it could be almost anyone. Oh and ignore the numbskulls who whittle on about glorified rounders. So what if it is.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, YOYO said:

I've been following it for over twenty years now and still not got to the bottom of it although it's probably better than football. Certainly more interesting, although I dearly love City. That's more passion than interest really. Until this year the National League and American Leagues had slightly different rules here and there (i.e the pitcher used to hit in the National League which was quite funny) but now they are  just about the same. Just think of it as two parallel universes. Both leagues have 15 teams with 5 in the east, 5 central and 5 west (divisions) and they all play each other but more often in their own league/division. They have a series of 2-4 games in one city on consequitive nights to avoid travel etc. This year the top 6 teams of each league will get to the playoffs and be whittled down to 4, 2 and 1 in a number of series (3,5 and 7 games) throughout October and then the winner of each league will play in the 7 game world series, which can mean 7 very long nights as you have to watch it live to avoid spoilers of course. I hope I've got that about right but feel free to correct me anyone. Dodgers and Yankees seem favourites for that final series but on past performance it could be almost anyone. Oh and ignore the numbskulls who whittle on about glorified rounders. So what if it is.      

Ohh I'll whittle on about glorified rounders as all the time, but that's mainly because it seems to really wind people up for no apparent reason.

It's a bit of a shame that the NFL and the NBA seem so dominant in the UK market as neither sport appeals one bit to me. I have always felt that if there was an American sport that I'd watch it would probably be baseball.

As it stands though, between Football, Cricket and Rugby plus casually following both Athletics and Cycling, I'm already at risk of ending up a single man, so it would probably be unwise to discover a new sporting passion.

On 24/09/2022 at 19:08, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Nevermind, watched it back, there was no player on first 😅 it's making sense now

Who's on first?

• Haha 1