Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Hilary Mantel

16 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Absolutely gutted this genius of a history writer has passed away. Wolf Hall on IPlayer for me tonight to start the weekend on a high. 

Because of its size and complexity I struggled with the book, but the TV adaptation was superb. She came across as a decent person too, full of passion about her subject and others. RIP.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Woop woop it’s the sound of da (forum) police

Is Til on his hols?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Because of its size and complexity I struggled with the book, but the TV adaptation was superb. She came across as a decent person too, full of passion about her subject and others. RIP.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

You are not the only one Herman. The TV adaptation was superb but like many others I gave up trying to get into it after a couple of chapters and that is something I rarely do with any book.

I have read a lot about the Tudor period and so am familiar with the characters but I found Mantell's writing tedious and dry and and the obsession with the present tense off putting. I know some people who think its brilliant but many who agree with me that life is too short to plough through something with so little reward.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You are not the only one Herman. The TV adaptation was superb but like many others I gave up trying to get into it after a couple of chapters and that is something I rarely do with any book.

I have read a lot about the Tudor period and so am familiar with the characters but I found Mantell's writing tedious and dry and and the obsession with the present tense off putting. I know some people who think its brilliant but many who agree with me that life is too short to plough through something with so little reward.

My Tudor knowledge was very rusty so when she quickly skipped past a famous name I had to go and check the internet to find out more. I spent more time researching than reading.😀

We tried to watch Wolf Hall but we found it hard going because of the lighting. I thought the Dark Ages had ended by the Tudor period.

• Haha 1

Just now, Herman said:

My Tudor knowledge was very rusty so when she quickly skipped past a famous name I had to go and check the internet to find out more. I spent more time researching than reading.😀

It was the style of writing that I found most off putting. I felt it was a book that I should enjoy and was very disappointed when I didn't.

I know it was heaped with praise and wondered if it was just me until I found I wasn't alone.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/896090-is-it-just-me

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

The soundtrack is so good too. Filming commences next year I believe for the next series. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Perhaps you ought to try one of her short stories. "The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher" is a good read! 😉 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassination-Margaret-Thatcher-Hilary-Mantel/dp/0007580991

Edited by Badger
Corrected grammar

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Forum police or not, this is absolutely nothing to do with Norwich City. Isn’t that why we have a non-football section?

Yes and no. The Boleyn family at one time resided in Norfolk and Mary 1 marched from Norfolk too to take the throne. I’m sure they are watching down on events at Carrow Road. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yes and no. The Boleyn family at one time resided in Norfolk and Mary 1 marched from Norfolk too to take the throne. I’m sure they are watching down on events at Carrow Road. 

Do you think this connection is the reason why our players sometimes rush around in a headless way?

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Do you think this connection is the reason why our players sometimes rush around in a headless way?

Maybe some should be sent to the tower for some firm but fair Tudor style justice. 

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

I found the use of the present tense off-putting and in some cases confusing, and wasn't tempted to read the last two books in the trilogy. This is not a literary point but she has been given credit for showing Cromwell in a positive light. But that kind of reassessment/rehabilitation was going on when I was at school in the 1960s.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 20:03, Midlands Yellow said:

I thought that Mary marched from Framlingham castle? I think that you will find that Mary was a binner!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I thought that Mary marched from Framlingham castle? I think that you will find that Mary was a binner!

You’re not wrong, very poor from myself.