Sign in to follow this  
pete

Train Strike now 8/10 need lift from Stevenage

Apolgies for the abrupt title of this post, but needs must.

I waited for it to be announced no strikes on 3/9 Coventry game before buying.  Rather stupidly purchased West Brom ticket for game 17/9 that day, strike announced later, however cancelled after death of our queen.  Resisted buying ticket for Stoke on 8/10 until strikes announced for 1st and 6th October, but now they will be striking then.

Therefore I am begging should any kind person be driving to the game that day from the Stevenage area have room for one more please message me via the Pink Un.   Obviously contributing to travel expenses.

Strikes may be called off but not holding my breathe.  

Thanks for reading hope someone can help.

I'll be on an beryl scooter from the Sprowston Road area to the game that day, you're welcome to hop on the back if you can get to Sprowston Road. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

Apolgies for the abrupt title of this post, but needs must.

I waited for it to be announced no strikes on 3/9 Coventry game before buying.  Rather stupidly purchased West Brom ticket for game 17/9 that day, strike announced later, however cancelled after death of our queen.  Resisted buying ticket for Stoke on 8/10 until strikes announced for 1st and 6th October, but now they will be striking then.

Therefore I am begging should any kind person be driving to the game that day from the Stevenage area have room for one more please message me via the Pink Un.   Obviously contributing to travel expenses.

Strikes may be called off but not holding my breathe.  

Thanks for reading hope someone can help.

The strike on the 8th is RMT only. You might find that there are some limited services. The other 2 dates include Aslef which covers the drivers too and is therefore more of an issue.

It is annoying - I generally sympathise with the strikers but do we really need 3 rail strikes in a week?   My son was meant to be visiting universities on the 1st and 8th so those are both screwed.

• Like 1

Thanks fot your input.  Sprowston Rd not poss I'm afraid. RMT only but always seems to stymie Greater Anglia Thameslink will probably run as usual.  Branston this could really affect your boy a football match not of much concern.

Still hope to be there somehow.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is annoying - I generally sympathise with the strikers but do we really need 3 rail strikes in a week?   My son was meant to be visiting universities on the 1st and 8th so those are both screwed.

It’s easy to sympathise with people until it affects you!

As regards your son, this will affect most students so the universities are likely to reschedule the open days.

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s easy to sympathise with people until it affects you!

As regards your son, this will affect most students so the universities are likely to reschedule the open days.

I didn’t say I don’t - but two weekends running is stretching things a bit. 

• Like 1

It is stretching it a bit but please remember it's the unions who are making reasonable offers while their employers and the government are making unreasonable demands.

Or don't.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Its a shame but if strikes dont inconvenience anyone, whats the point of the strike?.  No one would notice.  🤷‍♀️

If you can get to the albion pub in ampthill by 1030 via thameslink to flitwick you are welcome to a lift. The pub won't be open! You will have to pay for the car park and buy me a hog roast.

Also please wear some city colours so I can identify you.

Don't be late.

Cheers

Besthorpe.

20 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Its a shame but if strikes dont inconvenience anyone, whats the point of the strike?.  No one would notice.  🤷‍♀️

Anybody watch the Union leader on Have I got news ?

Checked coach from Victoria Coach Stn a possibility ok for getting but the only rerturn coach leaves at 5.15.  Just too tight for the timing.  Just been to watch Stevenage might be regular if strikes on Saturdays. 

On 23/09/2022 at 18:29, wcorkcanary said:

Makes peoples lives a misery though, it’s all to oust the Tories (btw I’m no Tory supporter), nothing else. All this conditions and pay to inflation levels shouts are used as an excuse. A bunch of picket line w@nkers even once laughed at someone calling them “selfish”, it’s all a joke to them. They get paid good money doing jobs they didn’t need a degree for. My friend has one in English and Maths and if she ever landed a job with it, it wouldn’t be on the pay this lot are on.

I’ve rescheduled my trip to Brighton THREE times with my employer now. Luckily we haven’t bought any tickets, but it’s a pain as we are seeing our friends over there for a weekend.

Three strikes now, you would think the message would have gone though by now that they won’t be listened to, but oh no they keep this up and cause misery all while they lie saying they are “the voice” of the working class who need the trains to get to work, when all along what they are doing is purposely alienating those very same people.

Hope you make to Stevenage Pete.

4B3509A6-621B-43F2-AA26-5047FE260E17.jpeg

7130126E-F26D-4227-945F-51B62CBC29AB.jpeg

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Makes peoples lives a misery though, it’s all to oust the Tories (btw I’m no Tory supporter), nothing else. All this conditions and pay to inflation levels shouts are used as an excuse. A bunch of picket line w@nkers even once laughed at someone calling them “selfish”, it’s all a joke to them. They get paid good money doing jobs they didn’t need a degree for. My friend has one in English and Maths and if she ever landed a job with it, it wouldn’t be on the pay this lot are on.

I’ve rescheduled my trip to Brighton THREE times with my employer now. Luckily we haven’t bought any tickets, but it’s a pain as we are seeing our friends over there for a weekend.

Three strikes now, you would think the message would have gone though by now that they won’t be listened to, but oh no they keep this up and cause misery all while they lie saying they are “the voice” of the working class who need the trains to get to work, when all along what they are doing is purposely alienating those very same people.

Do you support the strikes for those that do have a degree then? Genuine question. I’ve had strikes in my career that just lead to nothing and under this government I don’t see the point in them, they just double down. I think people are just genuinely annoyed with increasing bankers ability to make huge money, voting in their own pay increase whilst flatly refusing all others a chance to actual compromise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Degrees are irrelevant though, if its a skilled job you should be paid as such. 

I dont have a degree but work in IT network security and dont think people with a degree should automatically be paid more than me. 

• Like 2

So the unreasonable demands made by their employers and the government should just be accepted?

After all the frontline workers did get the clap every Thursday evening so they should probably be grateful...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

You are quite right, your friend who decided to take time out of the workforce to pursue a degree in English, which research shows does not lead to a rise in earnings clearly deserves to earn more than people actually doing a worthwhile job. 
Maybe he/she could campaign for more poet laureates!

• Like 1