Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

It's not worthington's fault...

It''s the people who sit on the board who carry the responsibility for the debacles we keep witnessing. They''re the ones who are short-sighted at the end of the day. They back the manager, they see his dubious tactics - no width, no youth. They are the ones who provide the money and if its badly spent they are the people who need to act. Worthington cares, of course he does, but only the board can do anything and they have stated their intentions. Perhaps we all need to place our focus elsewhere.

i know i am in minority, but how can Worthy be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

the players are the ones to blame because they are the ones who are losing the geames. They are the ones who are not scoring. they are the ones who are giving the ball away cheaply and loking like a bunch of nobodys.

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Worthy picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly.

Wow, someone who agrees with me!!! I agree with you 100%, at the end of the day he''s not on the pitch playing the football. ANd he may make some dodgy decisions, but if they worked we''d all be calling him a genius.

Has it occurred to you that the majority of the clubs senior professionals are more than likely sick to the back teeth of his one dimensional tactics, man management skills that border on the farcical and dismay at some of his transfer dealings?

Frankly the blokes continued barracking of certain players for ‘flicking the ball’ or ‘show boating’ borders on the obscene, I know if I was being managed by that man I’d find it pretty damn hard to turn on the style no matter what I was being paid.

I tell you this much, if Worthington was in charge of the  92/3 season team we wouldn’t have finished third he’s have got it relegated.  He’d have publicly criticised Ian Crook for Hollywood passing, dropped Ruel Fox for ‘flicking’ or ‘show boating’ fallen out with Chris Sutton for daring to have an opinion of his own and dropped Ian Culverhouse for passing the ball out of defence.

The man is blighting our club and is employed by a board of directors whose knowledge of football doesn’t go beyond the Boys Own Annual 1954 edition.

“Keep the faith”

Yes, let’s keep the faith in the emperor’s new cloths as they look lovely

Understand what you are saying here.

But you need to look further down the chain, yes the players are not performing but who decides which players to pick and how they should play? Further on, who decides which man gets to choose who to pick and tell them how to play? The board have an overall view of  how the club is run and are in the best position to make that happen.

You can blame the manager and/or the players but they can only perform to their ability. If they are only able to take the club so far then the board need to find a new manager who will in turn bring in his own version of how to be successful and then we will see how that works.

It may fail again but Worthy has had long enough to present his own version of a successful side. That hasn''t worked. Lets move on.

garydoherty=legend , who do you think is responsible for giving the players "a good kick up the backside", eh? Sometimes it almost seems like the people who defend Worthy are also diminishing  his purpose at the club. If he can''t be held responsible for motivation/player performance/tactics then what exactly is his job at carrow road. Teaboy?

And Mazing_marie , it''s all very well saying if his "dodgy descisions" worked (bit of an oxymoron, that) then we''d be calling him a genius, but the simple fact is: they aren''t.

I cant beleive how wrong this post is, it IS the managers job to get the players playing!!  That is his role.  It is what he is payed by the club to do.  If the players arent doing their jobs properly it is up to HIM to get them performing. When they get on the pitch it is his training, tactics that they are then putting to use.  He signed these players, he picks the team, if he cant get these playing doing what is required then we need to get a manager in whom does.

Look at Palace, going nowhere in division 1 until they sacked their manager, Ian Dowie then took them on a run that got them promoted.

Just listen to the post match interviews...  he is utterly clueless as to what is wrong or what to do about it!!  More hard work is all we here.  We need some new ideas to brighten the situation up. to me it seems worthy has his limitations which all can see.  we have upgraded the stadium, we have upgraded the playing staff, now it is time to get a more talented manager in...

Sometimes managers just run their course, if we get annoyed at every press conference what do you think the players think in his half time talks and the like, I bet he just goes on and on about hard work and roughing up the opposition!!  It doesnt take a clairvoyant to tell that the players must have heardr this same stuff over and over again....

Duh!

They didn''t work! We''re not calling him a genius! His dodgy decisions don''t work! Is this not obvious?

Yes but surely his job is to inspire?? and to encourage the players to want to score, play, defend. And I just feel that if some of the players put in the poor performance like they often do with/for another manager they would be out on their ear. This goes back to adi Boothroyed''s war cry after our match vs Watford when he said if these players don''t want to play for me I''ll find some that will. Maybe with worthyless management skills some of our loved players are getting paid a mint for playing like school boys and all because (the lady loves.... opps sorry I didn''t mean that) they are worthless favorites. Just to add something else in the mixer imagine the dressing room at Sheffield Utd no player there would ever dare to have a poor game for their manager he would go mad!! I think soft touch worthy needs to drop one once in a while.............. Start monday!!!!!!! 

for all his spouting on about loyalty, true fans etc. can''t worthy see the damage being done to city - its gone sour for him and it must be heart aching to see for such a proud man, but the longer this goes on the worse our chances to get promotion for next season.  if we continue to get thumped every game, this form will be carried over to next season, make no mistake. the season after that, with out parachute money, we''ll lose our best players and be back to square 1.we need a new man in, and yes the board have been negligent in not acting sooner, putting their loyalty to each other and worthy above the fans and the best interests of NCFC. 

Surely Worthington is the man who has brought these players to the club, he is the man who decides on the shape of the team and the tactics. Therefore if the players are under performing, for whatever reason, it is he who is ultimately responsible

Getting rid of the players is not a practical option, I am afraid that getting rid of the manager is.Anyway surely Worthington has been given more than enough chances to bring in players that will perform to the standards expected, I have lost count of the number of loan signings he has made this year.

Unfortunately, whether it is his fault or not, he has failed in his role as manager and it  is time for him to be replaced

this "once they cross the white line its beyond the manager control" doesnt wash with me... he can change formation, change tactics, tell players to push up, sit back etc.... although he isnt out there on the field he can change it as and when he wants too.... which worthy doesnt!

jas :)

[quote user="Mazing_marie"]

Wow, someone who agrees with me!!! I agree with you 100%, at the end of the day he''s not on the pitch playing the football. ANd he may make some dodgy decisions, but if they worked we''d all be calling him a genius.

[/quote]

what are you on about! He buys, picks and motivates the players. If the rubbish players that he buys and picks are not motivated then is it not his fault?? Wake up....

Um forgive me if I''m wrong but isn''t it the manager''s job to get the team playing good football???? Worthington is in charge of the players and its his job to get the best out of them which he clearly isn''t doing. You say Worthy picks the squad - yes he does which surely then makes its his responsibility when they don''t play well?? It is up to the manager to make sure they play football properly - that''s what training session run by the manager are for!! And if the players aren''t good enough then that is also the manager''s responsibilty because he has signed most of them!

If the players are not playing well then you have to ask why and that is generally due to one or both of the following two reasons:

1) They''re not good enough,

2) They are not being motivated properly and the tactics/style of play is wrong.

Both of these are management responsibilty!!!!!

[quote user="sonyc"]

It''s the people who sit on the board who carry the responsibility for the debacles we keep witnessing. They''re the ones who are short-sighted at the end of the day. They back the manager, they see his dubious tactics - no width, no youth. They are the ones who provide the money and if its badly spent they are the people who need to act. Worthington cares, of course he does, but only the board can do anything and they have stated their intentions. Perhaps we all need to place our focus elsewhere.

[/quote] ''Dubious tactics'' of ''no width'' and ''no youth'' along with ''badly spent'' money - sounds like you''re saying it''s Worthy''s fault to me?? You post appears deeply contradictory - it clearly is Worthy''s fault because he is the man in charge. I agree that the board are exacerbating the situation by refusing to act but it is Worthy who has go us into the poor situation in the first place and therefore it has to be considered his fault! I''m not denying he cares and I like the man but it is time he went and our problems this season stem from Worthy''s decsions and actions not the board''s!!!

Worthy can do something - he can resign!

At Last! We seem to be getting some sense into thoughts on whom is to blame for poor performances.  Wherever a professional is placed in the venue of his profession it is up to him to work and produce the semblance of the effort to reach the result he or she is being paid to produce.  After all we are told by the pundits that we have a team of competant players who are capable of holding their own in the upper echelons of this league.  But!!!!!

We, the fans constantly witness all over the pitch, lack of serious effort, experienced men not aware of how or where they should play, how they should cover one another, how they should run into open spaces, to receive a pass, how to get close enough to the opposition to win the ball, how to keep it and pass it around for long enough to create an opening for their forwards, the list of player incompetance is longer than the proverbial piece of string.  I am sure that how ever incompetant the coaching and the management is; there are eleven players out there who are not ready to put on any display of effort for a continuous period.  If fitness is lacking and is a requirement, for the game, then each and every player will be aware of his own state, and should be ready to face up to his physical preparation. After all, other athletes train on their own, to reach physical perfection for the job in hand, ironing out their various weaknesses. In our club I am aware that the training facilities are the finest that can be had; therefore there should be no excuse for a man not to use them to attain an acceptable fitness level.

Look for example at Sir Stephan Redgrave and his accomplishments in spite of being a diabetic,  5 gold olympic medals were not won easily and were a direct result of his personal dedication, input and spirit, are we supposed to make special exceptions for spoilt and pampered footballers, paid over the odds by devoted fans, who themselves put more effort into into waving their rattles and shouting encouragement, for footballers who find it too much of an effort to turn up.

I am ready to adopt the principle that the player /professional should always be treated as a man, and not like a child.  We often hear criticism of managers who rant and erupt into uncontrolled outbursts of temper, poor players cite this as a reason for not playing.  For an adult with any pride in his ability there is no reason for him to look for excuses in anyone but himself, for his individual input into any game.  I am disgusted with what I witnessed yesterday.

Surely the point that they DON''T work, proves that he doesn''t know what he''s doing. It''s his job to motivate the players, and he clearly isn''t doing that. It''s his job to pick the team, and the team he''s picking is getting thumped by supposed fellow promotion hopefuls,

He has said himself that as the manager the buck stops with him.

garydoherty=legend wrote:

"i know i am in minority, but how can Worthy be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

the players are the ones to blame because they are the ones who are losing the geames. They are the ones who are not scoring. they are the ones who are giving the ball away cheaply and loking like a bunch of nobodys.

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Worthy picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly."

i know i am in minority, but how can Brian Hamilton be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Brian Hamilton picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly.

i know i am in minority, but how can Graeme Souness be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Graeme Souness picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly.

i know i am in minority, but how can Gary Megson be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Gary Megson picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly.

i know i am in minority, but how can Alex Mccleish be blamed when he isn''t the one on the pitch trying to win the game?

they need a good kick up the backside and start to play football, Mccleish picks the squad, and they should learn to play football properly.

Whatever happened to self motivation and self pride along with personal responsibility.

I never needed any one person to motivate me , if that were necessary then I would expect the sack, every working man is responsible for his own output, and if he is weak enough to expect any one else to shoulder the blame then he can not be called a man.   We unfortunately have a growing nation of whingers who are unwilling to except responsibility for their own innefectiveness, we''ve all heard of the Australian''s label for the Whingeing POMM.  Most of the posters seem to forget that these players were bought as the finished artical, not roar apprentices.  This group are not working they are scrounging.  If a new manager were appointed there would be a short period of improvement,then shortly unless removed from the club this lot would creep into their old ways again, once lazy always lazy.!!!!

[quote user="beelsie"]

Whatever happened to self motivation and self pride along with personal responsibility.

I never needed any one person to motivate me , if that were necessary then I would expect the sack, every working man is responsible for his own output, and if he is weak enough to expect any one else to shoulder the blame then he can not be called a man.   We unfortunately have a growing nation of whingers who are unwilling to except responsibility for their own innefectiveness, we''ve all heard of the Australian''s label for the Whingeing POMM.  Most of the posters seem to forget that these players were bought as the finished artical, not roar apprentices.  This group are not working they are scrounging.  If a new manager were appointed there would be a short period of improvement,then shortly unless removed from the club this lot would creep into their old ways again, once lazy always lazy.!!!!

[/quote]

ok beelsie who brought them to the club... ahhh worthy...  well we better sack him before he signs anymore lazy players,.....................

Also i dont think it is just motivation, it is self belief, it is the will to win, it is knowing what your job is on the pitch, having confidence in the other players on the park, mental toughness as worthy prattles on about.  All these contribute to how well a player plays.  I tell you one thing Worthy has never impressed me with his pre or post match talks, he doesnt instill confidednce in us fans.  How can we expect him to build confidence in his TEAM.  I for one feel figures like Malky, Iwan and Holty were more responsible for the great team spirit this side had than Worthys endless work ethic rants.

I cannot imagine that worthy can instill an ounce of self confidence in ANY player - let alone our more skillful ones.

First of all it is the players fault

If things don''t improve then it is the managers fault

If things continue to deteriorate it is the Boards fault

And if it carries on ad infinitum then it is the supporters fault as they are getting what they deserve by tolerating mediocrity.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

And if it carries on ad infinitum then it is the supporters fault as they are getting what they deserve by tolerating mediocrity.

[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY  well said Hucker!! the only point I disagree with is about mediocrity.  This isnt that, it is bloody awful.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

[/quote]

Totally agree

i get the feeling some of these Norwich fans are ''fair weather fans''.

they need to stick with the club, the board, and the players through the good times and the bad times.

just wanna say one thing...george burley. a great servant to ipswich but his time just ran its course, who would have thought after taking them into europe that he would lose the players and the fans! but he did and had to go.....i really hope that worthy leaves so he can be remembered for the great things he has done instead of continuing to dig his own grave. its a real shame that he cant get the team organised anymore but just look at newcastle now! we need the same clean slate so the players have fresh ideas! its all getting a bit stale isnt it.

worthy R.I.P

Thats what they were saying at Newcastle regarding Souness!!

Some have it some don''t. Time to GO, everyone has a shelf life Worthy''s is up, he is on borrowed time, must be gone by the start of next season, hopefully before so at least our new manager hits the ground running for the next campaign!!! I watched the shambles at Palace yesterday CLUELESS sums it up for me. £30 to watch that!!

garydoherty=legend said: "i get the feeling some of these Norwich fans are ''fair weather fans''. they need to stick with the club, the board, and the players through the good times and the bad times"

I am not sure where you are coming from Doc??  I was here during the late 90s, the hamilton and rioch years...  They can at least point to the fact we were broke and had to manage this club on a shoestring.  Worthy has had more money than any other norwich city manager and what are we left with.  A poor team that get thrashed every so often sitting in midtable...

Where does the blame lie??  firmly at the dour ones door??  were forest fans wrong to want Megson out??  Not in my eyes, were Newcastle fans wrong to want souness out??  No.

Worthy is no great manager, he is an average one with many faults whose time at norwich is up... 1 good performance in 2006 so far...  wow he really is doing a good job.