Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNath

First Away match with little kids

Evening all

going to take the kids (9 and 11) to their first away match when we play Reading on the 4th 

having not been to an away match for many years, and having never taken little ones, what’s the best advice on where to try and sit/stand? (Know that allocated seat rows/numbers aren’t exactly a thing at away games)

is it best to head nearer the front, or nearer the back with them? 

cheers everyone. 

37 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

(Know that allocated seat rows/numbers aren’t exactly a thing at away games)

Most people do actually sit in their allocated seat now, sit where you like and you can guarantee someone will ask you to move as you’ll be in their seat

• Thanks 1

I'd get there early and let them both enjoy the build up. My boy is 17 now and we still get in at least an hour before kick off. My youngest daughter who is 30 was well chuffed to have her photo taken with captain canary recently. I was more concerned about the whereabouts of splatt the 🐱

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

IMy youngest daughter who is 30 was well chuffed to have her photo taken with captain canary recently. I was more concerned about the whereabouts of splatt the 🐱

30?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Get a seat on the end of a row as you can guarantee they'll need a pee as soon as the game kicks off!

Nah, they’re fine for that sort of stuff - they go to home matches all the time - no issues. 

Just trying to see if there’s a way they’ll be able to see as I presume we’ll be standing for most of the match rather than sitting. 

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Most people do actually sit in their allocated seat now, sit where you like and you can guarantee someone will ask you to move as you’ll be in their seat

Wow. 

shows how long it’s been since I last went to away games. 

You shouldn't have any concerns on that.

Reading are barely half filling their ground (see below) - and City fans away are a fairly decent lot so any problems I'm sure folk would happily move - and you can always approach the stewards and explain your situation, where I'm sure you could move to a quieter area

otherwise locate the empty areas as per the clip, and get seats there, not among us City fans but yours will have all the space they need

Yes, get there early, gives them a chance to take everything in

Be warned Reading is a nightmare for parking, and a hideous walk from the station

https://www.skysports.com/football/reading-vs-sunderland/467941

• Thanks 1

Thanks PockthorpePete - some good tips there. 

we actually live pretty close to Reading - parking is OK for evening matches as many of the business car parks let out spaces (not possible for 3pm Saturday matches when their car parks are already in use)

One positive - Looking forward to watching Norwich without the almost 400 mile round trip!! 

As others have said I don’t think you’ll have any problems at all. It’s on TV and a fair old distance from Norfolk so there’ll be plenty of spare seats in our area.

Clubs obviously insist away fans sit in their allocated spot when it’s a sellbut some let you sit anywhere. I can’t think they’d make a fuss especially with you having two young kids in tow. 

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

As an aside it may be worth looking at being away mascots for the kids, I don’t know what the current procedure is but you could more or less pick the game in the Championship a few years ago and at the time it was free apart from the match ticket price, you didn’t get a kit or anything though.

• Like 1

The aisle is a good suggestion as it helps visibility of the action too. 

I done that for my lads first away match at wba a few years ago. He recorded the OTBC and had it as his ring tone for a while. 

Edited by Greavsy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Maybe they just didn't like you FF, and asked you to move. 

Don't blame them ! 😃 

• Haha 1