Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Paul Warne

Interesting move for him, just outside the playoff's with a decent looking GD dropping a division to Derby given all they've been through. 

It may seem strange that he is jumping from a Championship play-off contender to a League One contender. But he has been looking for a bigger club for sometime but strangely no clubs out there wanted a yo-yo manager. 😉

Seriously though, I think Derby is close enough to where he lives now that he won't have to uproot his family which may be one of his key concerns. Also however well Rotherham do on the pitch they are never going to have the resources to allow a manager to push outside of his comfort zone. This must be what he has been promised at Derby.

I have connections with Rotherham's owner, who runs the club a la Smith & Jones. I know he will allow Warne to leave with his blessing and no hard feelings as he realises the ride the Millers have been on is as good as he could hope for with his limited funds - he owns a Lighting manufacturing company which although profitable doesn't make a lot of cash. 

It's a shame really, we could do with Rotherham taking points off the other leading clubs in the Chumps. That will be less likely now. And probably his chances of ever managing his hometown team dissipating too!  

Edited by shefcanary

18 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's reached his limit with Rotherham. Derby are a far bigger club and will likely be above Rotherham in 3-5 years time, if not sooner, so you can completely understand the move.

He won't be there in 3-5 years though.... 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

It may seem strange that he is jumping from a Championship play-off contender to a League One contender. But he has been looking for a bigger club for sometime but strangely no clubs out there wanted a yo-yo manager. 😉

Seriously though, I think Derby is close enough to where he lives now that he won't have to uproot his family which may be one of his key concerns. Also however well Rotherham do on the pitch they are never going to have the resources to allow a manager to push outside of his comfort zone. This must be what he has been promised at Derby.

I have connections with Rotherham's owner, who runs the club a la Smith & Jones. I know he will allow Warne to leave with his blessing and no hard feelings as he realises the ride the Millers have been on is as good as he could hope for with his limited funds - he owns a Lighting manufacturing company which although profitable doesn't make a lot of cash. 

It's a shame really, we could do with Rotherham taking points off the other leading clubs in the Chumps. That will be less likely now. And probably his chances of ever managing his hometown team dissipating too!  

You should encourage him to try and get McKenna off the binners to replace him, he looks like a decent young manager and it would annoy that lot down the road...

• Haha 1

I can get it. Derby are a much more of a platform so to speak. If they are being run better now than the previous 4-5yrs then he'll be at a club with more punching power.

It has been a little bit surprising no one has gone for Warne up to now, though I suspect it's about seeing how he can manage a team and players in a different situation. I'm not sure if it's the yo-yo-ing or perhaps a little bit of style too. I've always felt though, that it can be easier to get teams to be well organised and drilled defensively than it can to try and coach them to be creative. One is far easier drilled.

So it's probably a case of seeing what he could do with a bit of finances behind him and being able to have a bit more freedom with a side. Derby will be getting a chap they know that can get them out of the division at least, and then, possibly, could also see them kick on. In a sense he is coming from a similar position to Robbins at Coventry, yet despite him also doing well, no one has taken a chance on him either - yet so many on here would have him come manage us in a heartbeat.

I hope he can go on and do well at Derby. Some managers can take their success with them, others can struggle to replicate it (Lambert), I hope he is the former and not the latter.

I wish Mr Warne the best of good fortune at Derby....He had got to the point of rinse and repeat with the Millers - and I think he'll grab the challenge at the Rams by the horns....I think he'll do well.....

9 hours ago, cornish sam said:

You should encourage him to try and get McKenna off the binners to replace him, he looks like a decent young manager and it would annoy that lot down the road...

I'll be working at it, I am good friends with the owners niece, I'll drop his name into conversation tomorrow nightif not before! I have a hunch though it might be Wilder, he's missing his mates down here!

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Really surprised, Rotherham have started pretty well in the championship. I wouldn't have put Warne as a manager who is after the payday.

Derby much much much bigger club, will get paid more, better facilities, attract better players at Derby in league one than Rotherham probably can in the championship. A new exciting project at Derby. Not really a job he can turn down. 

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

He won't be there in 3-5 years though.... 

If he does well, he will be. But even if he isn't, that's not the point I'm making. 

Derby are a bigger club. Warne will probably be asking himself how far he can take the respective clubs, and with Rotherham, that will be Championship survival, maybe mid-table. If he can take Derby up this season or next, then they have the potential to go further than Rotherham. 

It's not unusual in the lower leagues to see a coach leave a smaller club in a higher league to join a bigger one in the division below.

• Like 1

I think he's a good long term manager but not an impact manager and it will take a couple of years and a hell of a lot of things working out to actually survive through those early years before you see the best from a manager like Warne. It's why I didn't want him (Or Robins) here when Smith was under pressure, with the gap between the PL and Championship growing every year we don't have time to meander for a couple of years while the new manager rebuilds and finds his way.

I think Derby are appointing him because his record of getting promoted from that league, not because they see him as a long term option and that's why I think this is going to end in tears. The team he had at Rotherham was very physical and played direct and at a high intensity and he made good use of that, Derby under Rooney last year were pragmatic but in a different way, it was slower and very risk averse and I'm not sure he can just transfer his success with Rotherham onto such a completely different club and set of players.