nutty nigel

Kathy's Famous World Cup Sweepstake

Quickest goal update. Canada with 2 minutes puts GMF in pole position. That's going to take some beating!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Looks like I well and truly cursed Denmark 🤣

This afternoon's results were shockers that's for sure.

Morning update:

New high shirt number scorers (Twice!). .Fernandez (Argentina) and Chavez (Mexico) , both 24. That's the one to beat.

Edited by Kathy

We’ve reached the halfway stage and lost 16 teams. Commiserations to those of you who are out. Some of you are leaving with prizes however. Hector has a stadium tour, Wacky has a CSF goody bag, and GMF will be very unlucky to get beaten with his earliest goal of 2 minutes for Canada.

Thanks to all of you who took part anyway. If you could see the DS boys and girls you’d know what a huge difference their football means to them.

image.png.972e7739c7ef5891325629b861d2b3d0.png

Today sees the first matches of the knockout stage. We have:

Netherlands (GregT) v USA (Pockthorpe)

Argentina (Parma) v Australia (Hammond 1612)

Good luck all!

Edited by Kathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Kathy. Disappointed by those Belgians, but once De Bruyne said they were all past it my hopes of them doing anything lessened anyway! 

Very pleased to be involved in something that benefits such a great cause. Thanks so much for organising. OTBC 

• Like 1

We go again today:

England (Sarcoma UK) v Senegal (Hissing Sid). 

France (Kathy) v Poland (Herman)

Come on France! 😉

• Like 2

The next round of matches is:

Japan (NCFC Sinky) v Croatia (Til1010)

Brazil (City4Eva) v South Korea (JellyTot)

The fastest goal is still Canada (GMF) and the highest shirt number to score is still  24, jointly Fernandez of Argentina (Parma) and Chavez of Mexico (Wolfie).

And of course, we're still looking for the first team out on penalties

Good luck all!

Edited by Kathy
  • Like 2

Idea for a prize since there is all this extra injury time. Longest game length(given to losing team) although you might have to keep track of how long the 1st halfs last.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

Idea for a prize since there is all this extra injury time. Longest game length(given to losing team) although you might have to keep track of how long the 1st halfs last.

Thanks. We've picked up a few ideas for next time and that's certainly going on the list (we also have learnt what not to do!)

After this afternoon we have another prizewinner. NCFC Sinky has won a CSF goodie bag. He/she (sorry, I dont know which!) is also in the running for highest scoring shirt number with 25 (Maeda Japan).

• Like 1

Today we find out who the last quarter-finalists are. Matches are:

Morocco (Diesel Doris v Spain (Mrs Wolf)

Portugal (NFN FC) v Switzerland (Twidio)

Good luck all!

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Oooh, goal scored by a number 26...

Can't be beaten but someone could tie.

We now know the quarter finalists and there are some surprises in there. This is how the sweepstake is panning out at this stage:

image.png.d280dbf818780dde34666071ffb3af50.png

Here's a reminder of what's been won and what's still to be decided. Congratulations to those of you who have already won prizes.

Winner:  £150 TBD

Runner up: £50 TBD

Third place: £20 TBD

Quickest goal: (to replace first penalty. Eddie won it and donated his prize back): Stadium tour. Currently Canada (GMF)

First red: Wales (Wacky) CSF Goodie bag.

First yellow: Ecuador (Nutty Nigel): Qatar (Hector) Goodie bag.

First VAR: Qatar (Hector) Stadium Tour 

First team out on pens: Japan (NCFC Sinky) CSF Goodie bag.

Highest shirt number to score a goal: Currently 26 Portugal (NFN FC) Bottle of wine.

Edited by Kathy

After a brief interlude it's matchday again.

First up is Croatia (Til1010) v Brazil (City4Eva) 3pm

Then Netherlands (GregT) v Argentina (Parma) 7pm

Good luck all!

Congratulations to Til101 and Parma who have made it the semis. One of you will win at least £20.

Today is the big one. I honestly hope I lose. Come on England  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 !!!

It's also a big day for @Diesel Doris who has the added anguish of the PUPs picks!

Morocco (Diesel Doris) v Portugal (NFN FC)

England (Sarcoma UK) v France (Kathy).

🤞🤞🤞

• Like 3

And then there were four. Gutted. I really didn't want my team to win.

Congrats to @Diesel Doris @Parma Ham's gone mouldy and @TIL 1010 . Here's the table.

image.png.0a679d2eecbab8d6739922dff4b8dbae.png

Here's a reminder of what's been won and what's still to be decided. Congratulations to those of you who have already won prizes.

Winner:  £150 TBD

Runner up: £50 TBD

Third place: £20 TBD

Quickest goal: (to replace first penalty. Eddie won it and donated his prize back): Stadium tour. Currently Canada (GMF)

First red: Wales (Wacky) CSF Goodie bag.

First yellow: Qatar (Hector) Goodie bag.

First VAR: Qatar (Hector) Stadium Tour 

First team out on pens: Japan (NCFC Sinky) CSF Goodie bag.

Highest shirt number to score a goal: Currently 26 Portugal (NFN FC) and Argentina (Parma) Bottle of wine.

Edited by Kathy
  • Thanks 1

Semi final day! We're at the business end of the World Cup now. It seems ages since one of the wonderful DS boys and girls picked out Croatia for Til1010 (you should have seen his face) yet here we are with his team in the semis. Whoever wins today is guaranteed to win at least £50.

GOOD LUCK BOTH!

Deepest apologies @Kathy  (and @nutty nigel) but I have been so advised by Mx Parma that under no circumstances whatsoever am I allowed to donate the bottle of wine to the Pups or any literal or metaphorical ‘pot’….🦮🦮🙏🏽😂😂😂

Parma 🥰

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Deepest apologies @Kathy  (and @nutty nigel) but I have been so advised by Mx Parma that under no circumstances whatsoever am I allowed to donate the bottle of wine to the Pups or any literal or metaphorical ‘pot’….🦮🦮🙏🏽😂😂😂

Parma 🥰

Is that what you told her you'd won??? 😂😂😂

Unlucky @Til1010. I'mm sure everyone would love to have seen a Til1010 v Kathy final. NOT!

We go again today. The final beckons for France (Kathy) or Morocco (Diesel Doris). 
Would love to see Morocco do it.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Kathy said:

Unlucky @Til1010. I'mm sure everyone would love to have seen a Til1010 v Kathy final. NOT!

We go again today. The final beckons for France (Kathy) or Morocco (Diesel Doris). 

Yes I thought that was a bit odd too @Kathy , though to be honest I sort of drifted off…I think she mentioned something about ‘pinot….jugs…and that Denzel from down the street’…though I’d just opened with the Sicilian on chess.com so  wasn’t paying full attention♟️👍🏽

Parma 🤗

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kathy said:

I'd love to see Morocco do it too Kathy😊😊 Good luck! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Diesel Doris said:

I'd love to see Morocco do it too Kathy😊😊 Good luck! 

What a shame. I thought they were fantastic.

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

What a shame. I thought they were fantastic.

They just couldn't get the ball over the line, but it wasn't for the lack of trying. Anyway they can now have a go at beating Croatia in that nothing game on Saturday. The pot will be £20 richer on Saturday regardless of the result as I too will donate the £20 to @nutty nigel if Morocco finish 3rd.

• Thanks 1

Third place play off day. - It's the match nobody really wants, but it's useful for sweepstake compilers who can then award a third prize. As it happens, both of our PUPs  in this match, @TIL 1010 and @Diesel Doris have very kindly donated their prize of £20 to Nutty's pot. Thanks both. You're stars!

There's still the couple of things to play for. @GMF's two minute opener for Canada is still the quickest goal. Unlikely though it is, it can still be beaten. Also another goal for a number 26 means Nutty and I will have to buy yet another bottle of wine.

Good luck both!

Edited by Kathy
  • Like 2