Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

World Cup 2022-Anti Discrimination Armband

I pity the poor person working in the censor department of Qatar national TV. They’re going to have an extremely hard time sticking a dot on every armband during matches 😂

Probably as much as could be done re. the downright ignorant stance of the Qataris in such affairs, but let's face it, they should never have been given the tournament in the first place. And when you consider that the World Cup only comes around every four years and is probably the dream of every player to win/compete in, expecting all to boycott it is possibly a little too much.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

No. 

How many people notice armbands? How many captains are going to wear them? I was only partially listening to Sky Sports News. I think it's 5 captains.

I highly doubt anyone watching the football will stop watching to Google the meaning behind the armbands.

The inconvenient truth is that the only anti-discrimination act is by a blanket boycott. 

The countries had one chance to make a statement to these people. They failed to take it 

Greed and money beats morality and decency.

Welcome to Humanity.

Nine teams-Belgium, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Wales. But captains only.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

No. 

How many people notice armbands? How many captains are going to wear them? I was only partially listening to Sky Sports News. I think it's 5 captains.

I highly doubt anyone watching the football will stop watching to Google the meaning behind the armbands.

The inconvenient truth is that the only anti-discrimination act is by a blanket boycott. 

The countries had one chance to make a statement to these people. They failed to take it 

Greed and money beats morality and decency.

Welcome to Humanity.

The bidding nations should have opted to boycott the 2022 World Cup immediately after the corruption allegations were acknowledged.

All those bidding nations (England, USA, Mexico, Australia, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, South Korea) should have been strong, stuck together and held their own tournament, or friendlies in lieu of.

Edited by TheRock

I'm surprised if FIFA will allow this? I would have expected all nation's captains to wear the same design. Whether this contains an anti discrimination message (or tournament sponsor content) is another matter, but I would be surprised if countries can do their own thing.

1 hour ago, TheRock said:

The bidding nations should have opted to boycott the 2022 World Cup immediately after the corruption allegations were acknowledged.

All those bidding nations (England, USA, Mexico, Australia, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, South Korea) should have been strong, stuck together and held their own tournament, or friendlies in lieu of.

Based on the idea of rotation of the continent that the event is held on, Australia had the strongest case, then USA/Mexico, then Japan/South Korea, then all the European countries.

https://www.humandignitytrust.org/country-profile/qatar/

How do players find a moral justification for playing a world cup in a country like Qatar? 

It is illegal to be Gay in Qatar. 

Not going to play football there is the solution.

Wearing the armband is the most bogus and pathetic version of virtue signalling that I have ever heard of bar none.

"Deeds not words" was the motto of the suffragette movement and in this case that would mean boycotting the tournament. 

Those who go and wear the armband are more of an ally to the Qatari regimes sports-washing campaign than they  are an ally to LGBT people and women. 

It is that simple.  Choose your side. 

• Like 5

All depends who much Qatar gives FIFA, or Fraud In Football Association as it should be known, to bribe others not to wear it.

As much as I believe in most freedoms, I have no doubt my hypocrisy will flow unabated when the WC starts and I watch many of the matches.

Surely our TV programmes could spell it out before each match? Tell the British public just what a sihthole nation it is.

Simply should never have been given the world cup. Words fail me really, but that seems to be happening a lot in recent times regarding football. The Premier League circus, VAR, refereeing, the FA, Fifa, the big clubs attempts to hijack football, players cheating and probably a lot more I can't think of at the moment.......it just reduces football to a debauched and ruined state - to the extent that the only football really worth following is in the lower leagues.

Forget the world cup, it's flawed beyond credibility - the only thing that can bring good out of the situation is is players refusing to play in it - or at the very least CLEAR signs that they are against discrimination....not token gestures that are totally meaningless. Countries should be boycotting it. They won't, but they should.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Simply should never have been given the world cup. Words fail me really, but that seems to be happening a lot in recent times regarding football. The Premier League circus, VAR, refereeing, the FA, Fifa, the big clubs attempts to hijack football, players cheating and probably a lot more I can't think of at the moment.......it just reduces football to a debauched and ruined state - to the extent that the only football really worth following is in the lower leagues.

Forget the world cup, it's flawed beyond credibility - the only thing that can bring good out of the situation is is players refusing to play in it - or at the very least CLEAR signs that they are against discrimination....not token gestures that are totally meaningless. Countries should be boycotting it. They won't, but they should.

Maybe we should all refuse to watch any part of it? 

• Like 1

So are they going to wear the arm band, take the knee then do the haka followed by push pineapple pull the tree and then the birdie song?

As posted earlier there is no place for any form of discrimination in or outside of football

The whole tournament should be boycotted.

Would love to see what would be happening if the cup was taking place in Russia I'm sure everyone would be boycotting right now.

48 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maybe we should all refuse to watch any part of it? 

Your average daily mail reader will be sucking the entire tournament down alongside a Luke warm can of Stella I am affraid 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, it was silly enough that Russia got it, then Qatar winning it was the p/iss garnish on the s/hit sandwich.

9 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, it was silly enough that Russia got it, then Qatar winning it was the p/iss garnish on the s/hit sandwich.

About the only time you'll need a spoon to eat a sandwich.   

14 hours ago, Bonzo said:

How do players find a moral justification for playing a world cup in a country like Qatar? 

Wearing the armband is the most bogus and pathetic version of virtue signalling that I have ever heard of bar none.

"Deeds not words" was the motto of the suffragette movement and in this case that would mean boycotting the tournament. 

Those who go and wear the armband are more of an ally to the Qatari regimes sports-washing campaign than they  are an ally to LGBT people and women. 

It’s not the players fault. Players get 1-3, 4 chances at most to compete in a World Cup. Many only get 1.

FIFA should never awarded it and nations should have stood up to it. With them all failing to act expecting players too in their stead or condemning them is more than a little unfair. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bonzo said:

The only reason they virtue signal with armbands etc is to try and make themselves feel better and justify playing football there, despite knowing they are totally 100% in the wrong doing so.

Same with China and their ethnic cleansing regime of Uyghurs. How can anyone be crooked enough to take a wage from these warped Administrations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

It’s not the players fault. Players get 1-3, 4 chances at most to compete in a World Cup. Many only get 1.

FIFA should never awarded it and nations should have stood up to it. With them all failing to act expecting players too in their stead or condemning them is more than a little unfair. 

Not the players fault,  agreed, but it is their responsibility!! 

The idea that it is not the players fault is the same argument as "I was just following orders" used by those tried at Nuremberg. 

Q "You are accused of helping a regime which was gassing Jews in a genocide" 

A "Yes I was but I had an armband that stated my support for the Jewish people, I was just following orders"

Really? So that's OK is it? 

The point is that these players do have a choice and they are choosing en mass to support the Qatari Sports Washing campaign rather than to be allies to the LGBT movement.  

The notion that players would be victims if they did not attend doesn't cut it for me.

They would be required to make a sacrifice for sure but the fact that none are is telling.

If enough of them stood up then Qatar would have no world cup.

The players are all willing to look the other way. 

That is the tragedy.

The next time one of them makes a statement in favour of equality or LGBT rights make sure you remember what they did. 

Looking good and doing good are two very different things.

As different as words and deeds.

Any player who gets on the plane to Qatar should never be allowed to forget their complicity in the Qatari sports washing campaign. 

An armband is no excuse. 

I do not intend to watch but as I’ve said before that achieves f… all really! Perhaps I will send a respectful message to all the English and Welsh players on Twitter after the squads are announced asking them to consider their actions.

19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Words NEVER fail you Lakey 🤣🤣

It will go ahead with all the qualifying countries taking part. Whether you choose to watch or not is entirely up to you.

Next year the Qatar Grand Prix returns to the F1 calendar. It isn't just football.

21 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not the players fault,  agreed, but it is their responsibility!! 

Well yes, but my point is it’s been made their responsibility by the failure of the international body to address it (almost certainly due to a combination of corruption and indifference) and complete lack of action of anyone in power to hold them to account.

It isn’t fair IMO to expect the players (the only ones with anything really tangible to lose) to fix what’s everyone else (including fans) have failed to address.

20 hours ago, Bonzo said:

The idea that it is not the players fault is the same argument as "I was just following orders" used by those tried at Nuremberg. 

Q "You are accused of helping a regime which was gassing Jews in a genocide" 

A "Yes I was but I had an armband that stated my support for the Jewish people, I was just following orders"

Really? So that's OK is it? 

The point is that these players do have a choice and they are choosing en mass to support the Qatari Sports Washing campaign rather than to be allies to the LGBT movement.  

The notion that players would be victims if they did not attend doesn't cut it for me.

They would be required to make a sacrifice for sure but the fact that none are is telling.

If enough of them stood up then Qatar would have no world cup.

The players are all willing to look the other way. 

That is the tragedy.

The next time one of them makes a statement in favour of equality or LGBT rights make sure you remember what they did. 

Looking good and doing good are two very different things.

As different as words and deeds.

Any player who gets on the plane to Qatar should never be allowed to forget their complicity in the Qatari sports washing campaign. 

An armband is no excuse. 

Everyone has looked the other way including every country’s fanbase.

Blaming the only party who actually has to make a personal sacrifice to stop it for that collective failure isn’t fair IMO.

Edit:

I’ll also add it’s so very the attitude of our time to blame others for their inaction while doing absolutely nothing to make a change.

I must have missed the relentless protests against this decision, the constant chanting at matches, the banners, the marches on FA headquarters etc.

The players are just doing what everyone else is…nothing. I haven’t seen as much as a placard at a game.

Yes I’d love them to make a stand, but expecting them to and brandishing them the equivalent of Nazis for not while everyone else does sweet FA (save maybe some tweets from the couch) is just so 2022.

Edited by Monty13

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Well yes, but my point is it’s been made their responsibility by the failure of the international body to address it (almost certainly due to a combination of corruption and indifference) and complete lack of action of anyone in power to hold them to account.

It isn’t fair IMO to expect the players (the only ones with anything really tangible to lose) to fix what’s everyone else (including fans) have failed to address.

Everybody  needs to stand up for what they believe in.... fact is most people don't really care, they just  want a circus to watch.  Christians  v Lions anyone? 

Our next game is in Blackpool which is very LGBT friendly. A protest there might be appropriate-but when the Qataris are apparently paying David Beckham £100 to £150 million to be an ambassador for them, would they really give a s h i t?