Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Labour to sing God Save the King at Conference.

They don't help themselves by trying to curry-favour with royal supporters/brexiteers and would be better trying to resolve tensions with the far left of the party so they can unite against the conservatives. In theory, the opposition should be substantially ahead against these clowns in government but the polls are hardly convincing with a general election still some time away. Some parts of the electorate prefer soundbites over substance indicating that they still don't trust Labour after 12 years of the Conservatives and their efforts to promote devolution through their governing.  

40 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

They don't help themselves by trying to curry-favour with royal supporters/brexiteers and would be better trying to resolve tensions with the far left of the party so they can unite against the conservatives. In theory, the opposition should be substantially ahead against these clowns in government but the polls are hardly convincing with a general election still some time away. Some parts of the electorate prefer soundbites over substance indicating that they still don't trust Labour after 12 years of the Conservatives and their efforts to promote devolution through their governing.  

They’d do better trying to dissociate themselves from the far left if they want a credible chance of being elected.  Remember the groundwork Kinnock did in getting rid of the influence of Militant, thus paving the way for Labour getting three terms in power under Blair.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

They’d do better trying to dissociate themselves from the far left if they want a credible chance of being elected.  Remember the groundwork Kinnock did in getting rid of the influence of Militant, thus paving the way for Labour getting three terms in power under Blair.

True, It is yet another area where there is division so polling moderately gives you a chance of getting elected   

20 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can remember when people rushed out of the cinema to avoid standing for the national anthem.

So would I!. It’s a dirge!. Isn’t a national anthem supposed to be uplifting?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Not when you are forced to stand up for it and sing it as well. It should be an instrumental tune. Maybe Nimrod? If not then Jerusalem.

47 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not when you are forced to stand up for it and sing it as well. It should be an instrumental tune. Maybe Nimrod? If not then Jerusalem.

I would go for the Captain Pugwash theme . A jaunty reminder of our seafaring history . I'm sure someone could put words to it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

We should ask the Australians if we can revive Waltzing Matilda.

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

Went by with no incident.

Yes - As a tribute to the Queen.

I always thought 'I vow to thee my country' would make much much better national anthem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Went by with no incident.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-conference-starmer-johnson-poll-b2174870.html

Johnson to lose seat ...

and a big Labour majority....

The red wall is rebuilt....

The end of Truss and her ultra right wing...

Just needs a closer relationship with the EU and we begin to get back to something more like normality.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-conference-starmer-johnson-poll-b2174870.html

Johnson to lose seat ...

and a big Labour majority....

The red wall is rebuilt....

The end of Truss and her ultra right wing...

Just needs a closer relationship with the EU and we begin to get back to something more like normality.

If Carlsberg did elections...😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - As a tribute to the Queen.

I always thought 'I vow to thee my country' would make much much better national anthem. 

Change Cambria to Anglia, and I'd say Men of Harlech would be an absolute banger. Agree with the comment that the current anthem is absolutely shoite.

In fact, I'd say it's one of the worst in Europe, Liechtenstein edges it by dint of having better lyrics even if it's the same tune. Norway and Kosovo don't have good ones either IMO.