Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maltesecanary

Andrew Omobamidele Out again With groin injury šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Recommended Posts

He was appalling on Saturday and I'd have no issue with him being replaced by Gibson given his performance. Worst game he has had in a City shirt.

Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

He was appalling on Saturday and I'd have no issue with him being replaced by Gibson given his performance. Worst game he has had in a City shirt.

Ā 

The problem with Gibson is that he will play ok for a couple of games and then have an absolute howler that necessitates dropping him as he usually gifts the opposition a goal or two. Short term fine,Ā but shouldnā€™t be a starter when we have OMO fit again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Could have been sorted with cover in the summer but we never learn do we.

What could have been sorted?

We have four centres halves in the squad plus a couple of others who can play there if needed, how many do you thinkĀ we need?

Plus its highly likely Hanley & Omobamidele will be fit for Saturday week anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

What could have been sorted?

We have four centres halves in the squad plus a couple of others who can play there if needed, how many do you thinkĀ we need?

Plus its highly likely Hanley & Omobamidele will be fit for Saturday week anyway.

Surely having Gibson as cover is sufficient! He was meant to be our premier league quality CB a couple of seasons ago. Not sure what sort of quality CB you'd expect to be happy to be reserve behind Gibson?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Surely having Gibson as cover is sufficient! He was meant to be our premier league quality CB a couple of seasons ago. Not sure what sort of quality CB you'd expect to be happy to be reserve behind Gibson?

I presume you meant to quote the person I quoted as I completely agree.

Some people seem to think we should have half a dozen players for each position and a squad of fifty odd players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I presume you meant to quote the person I quoted as I completely agree.

Some people seem to think we should have half a dozen players for each position and a squad of fifty odd players.

I agree in part (certainly when people talk about left backs for example- we can't carry three specialist left backs in case two get injured!) but we're light in central defence. We've got three senior central defenders and a 20 year old with two first team appearances who has looked shaky so far.

Going into this season we took the same gamble we did two years ago where we had Hanley, Gibson and Zimmerman backed up by Omobamidele. In that case the gamble paid off as Omo stepped up brilliantly. I'm less confident that would be the case with Tomkinson based on the league cup performances.

Additionally the lack of central defenders is somewhat restrictive when it comes to different formations (although this is also hampered by the injuries at fullback). V Bristol I'd have been tempted to match their formation in the second half and switch to a back 3 but having only one central defender on the bench combined with the worry over Hanley meant that wouldn't have been possible even if Smith wanted to. However I do wonder if, when Dimi and McCallum are back, we may see Byram used in central defence too.Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot have been surprised Andrew O has struggled for fitness and is injured again.Ā  A seious injury that kept him out for many months is followed by a glut of games in the early season was too predictable.Ā  Webber has left us with three proper CB's after Zimmermann left, with the number of Championship games was a recipe for disaster.Ā  Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pete said:

You cannot have been surprised Andrew O has struggled for fitness and is injured again.Ā  A seious injury that kept him out for many months is followed by a glut of games in the early season was too predictable.Ā  Webber has left us with three proper CB's after Zimmermann left, with the number of Championship games was a recipe for disaster.Ā  Ā 

Fit we also haveĀ Tomkinson.Ā Sorenson is clearly unavailable but more than capable backup, as is Byram but he's having to cover left back. Gibson, although he has a howler in him, is a capableĀ Championship level player.

So we have 6 players who can play in that position and all do a job at this level, with 2 clear first team options and an experienced backup.Ā I really don't think that we are thin on the ground squad wise. A better CB than Gibson is not going to want to sit on our bench for a season so I'm not sure what else we should have done or should be doing?Ā 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Fit we also haveĀ Tomkinson.Ā Sorenson is clearly unavailable but more than capable backup, as is Byram but he's having to cover left back. Gibson, although he has a howler in him, is a capableĀ Championship level player.

So we have 6 players who can play in that position and all do a job at this level, with 2 clear first team options and an experienced backup.Ā I really don't think that we are thin on the ground squad wise. A better CB than Gibson is not going to want to sit on our bench for a season so I'm not sure what else we should have done or should be doing?Ā 

Spot on.Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this point is moot if we donā€™t also have the injuries to our DCM. In theory a DCMĀ would ease the pressure on the CBs because theyā€™d have more protection and time to cover, this would mean Tomkinson is more able to operate as a solid ish back up option. By not having a DCM of the discipline we need it does mean TomkinsonĀ is more exposed and would be tested. Itā€™s our injuries elsewhere that have the knock on effect. Byram is a CB option more than capable, IF we didnā€™t have a LB crisis!Ā 

Edited by SwearyCanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, king canary said:

Additionally the lack of central defenders is somewhat restrictive when it comes to different formations (although this is also hampered by the injuries at fullback). V Bristol I'd have been tempted to match their formation in the second half and switch to a back 3 but having only one central defender on the bench combined with the worry over Hanley meant that wouldn't have been possible even if Smith wanted to. However I do wonder if, when Dimi and McCallum are back, we may see Byram used in central defence too.Ā 

I mean, you probably don't mean this, but most teams are unlikely to put two CB's on the bench. You can name 7, one of which is always going to be a back up GK. So six subs. If you want to change games, usually it is further forward, you might carry cover for the back, so a full back and a CB, but after that, it's going to be a brave manager to decide on having four of 7 players defensive.

I think the issue is more that usually, one of your full backs has some height and can step into that role, which we have seen with Byram, but actually, we have no full back cover at the moment either. If you were to name wing backs you would just name our full backs as things stand, half of them are out injured. One only a handful of games back from injury lay-offs. I think that's as much of the issue as anything tbh.

Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the last few years we have had a problem with injuries, especially to defenders. Unless we have just recruited injury prone players, and I accept that some fall into that category, there has to be something going on here.

Going right back to Klose in 2016, our centre backs in particular miss an awful lot of games. This was a position historically where you could pretty much rely on a chosen partnership to play 30 or 35 games a season without interruption, yet now that doesn't happen.Ā 

Wingers and forwards seem to be injured less (Idah excepted), for some reason.

So to have a minimum of 4 centre backs able to play to first team level seems to me to be a no brainer. Having two out at the same time has hardly been an uncommon occurrence, and relying on a full back to cover (especially in the EPL) is suicidal.

Their fitness record suggests, for instance, that Byram, MacCallum and Omobamidele will never be reliable starters and we should at least recognise that.

Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sgncfc said:

For the last few years we have had a problem with injuries, especially to defenders. Unless we have just recruited injury prone players, and I accept that some fall into that category, there has to be something going on here.

Going right back to Klose in 2016, our centre backs in particular miss an awful lot of games. This was a position historically where you could pretty much rely on a chosen partnership to play 30 or 35 games a season without interruption, yet now that doesn't happen.Ā 

Wingers and forwards seem to be injured less (Idah excepted), for some reason.

So to have a minimum of 4 centre backs able to play to first team level seems to me to be a no brainer. Having two out at the same time has hardly been an uncommon occurrence, and relying on a full back to cover (especially in the EPL) is suicidal.

Their fitness record suggests, for instance, that Byram, MacCallum and Omobamidele will never be reliable starters and we should at least recognise that.

Ā 

I would argue that we had Jarvis(wing), Hernandez(wing), Dowell,Ā Ā Idah - as you've said, Rowe and Springett all injured in recent years or currently.

Equally, I wasn't suggesting we "rely" upon a full back to cover, but that usually, you don't have so many injuries across the back four positions that you are left with starting the fit players and having the one player fit to cover on the bench. It isn't that unusual for full backs to be able to step inside if needed - Walker at Man City has done that pretty much permanently now, he's not the first. Fleming did so for us to much praise from our support.

"something going on here" - not really. Klose suffered a serious injury which massively impacted on him, though he did return to play a fair bit of football in Farke's first season. Zimmermann was subject to an awful tackle that wrecked his ankle and he was never quite the same after - prior to that he'd rarely had an injury problem for us or elsewhere.

Gibson and Hanley played almost an entire season together last time out in the championship and only form broke them up, rather than fitness, last season.Ā 

Do Omobamidele and McCallum really have a long history of injuries? I'm pretty sure McCallum hadn't broke a bone in his foot before... Again, received from a tackle.Ā 

Edited by chicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

For the last few years we have had a problem with injuries, especially to defenders. Unless we have just recruited injury prone players, and I accept that some fall into that category, there has to be something going on here.

Going right back to Klose in 2016, our centre backs in particular miss an awful lot of games. This was a position historically where you could pretty much rely on a chosen partnership to play 30 or 35 games a season without interruption, yet now that doesn't happen.Ā 

Wingers and forwards seem to be injured less (Idah excepted), for some reason.

So to have a minimum of 4 centre backs able to play to first team level seems to me to be a no brainer. Having two out at the same time has hardly been an uncommon occurrence, and relying on a full back to cover (especially in the EPL) is suicidal.

Their fitness record suggests, for instance, that Byram, MacCallum and Omobamidele will never be reliable starters and we should at least recognise that.

Ā 

Klose got kicked in a pre season at Cambridge. Gibson did his ankle off the ball in the Championship winning season. Zimmermann got kicked against West Ham.Ā 
Im not sure there is much can be done about it .Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we had all those injuries the first Farke PL season, I did some saddo research and found it was generally all our heavier/ bigger players. Furthermore, there was an article onĀ Domogalla about how we'd changed our training basis for the Prem to focus on more short sprints- I considered that these two things were not disconnected from each other (particularly with Farkes reputation for hard double-sessions).

This year my witch-hunt has led me to conclude that the extended dry period has upped the amount of foot/ ankle injuries (something I've seenĀ increase at the level I play at too).

Or- sometimes your luck is just out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Ā Furthermore, there was an article onĀ Domogalla about how we'd changed our training basis for the Prem to focus on more short sprints

Ā 

This is true . I had a trip around Colney last year and there is a specific sprint track for this purpose .Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...