canarybubbles

Let's stop talking about Farke

As my posts demonstrate, I'm no fan of Smith. So I think we're letting Smith's advocates get off lightly by this constant contrasting of Smith and Farke. Farke's gone. Whether he would be doing better than Smith is pointless hypothesising.

The contrast we should be focusing on is Smith Game 1 vs Smith Game 37 (West Brom, if you don't count cup games). And the questions we should be asking are, 'Has there been any improvement over that period? If so, how much and in what form? If so, why? If not, why not?'

Don't let Smith's advocates dismiss us as nostalgic fantasists dreaming about Farke. Put the pressure on them to prove that Smith is taking us forwards.

EDIT: To replace embarrassing grammatical error!

Edited by canarybubbles

I've openly said I'm still not convinced by Smith and I still feel that way. I think the one thing he needs to do is make us hard to beat if we're to survive another season in the Prem if we get promoted (a lot of ifs) and if anything we're still guilty of the same repeated issues that were present last season. Some of that is, of course down to personnel, but I'm yet to see Smith stamp any authority on this squad. Too much square pegs in round holes for me trying to get systems to work that don't and not playing to players strengths. That said he's done what he was employed to do, we've won games and we're in the top two so he's doing okay. 

Edited by AJ

We've  gone from having a unique style and identity  to being a carbon copy of everyone else. We may still have some successes at times but I for one regret what has been needlessly thrown away.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Farke is history so people need to move on as the man himself has.

2 great Championship winning seasons with Farke followed by two dreadful Premier League seasons. He went at the right time cause by Xmas last year sections of the crowd would of turned on him and he'd of left in a similar manner to what Worthy did who was kept on too long. Nobody on this planet would have kept Norwich up last season cause quite simply the squad wasn't good enough.

So far this term the team don't look convincing but have got enough quality to be at the top end of the table and its still only just past mid September so the team doesn't want to peak yet.

Fans have to accept that this Divisions notoriously a difficult League to get out of and the vast majority of games aren't going to be won easily. One only has to look at the two Farke title winning campaigns and the two Lambert promotion seasons to see that most victories were by one goal margins, the rose tinted glasses have to come off!

It would be easier to stop talking about Daniel Farke if his replacement (s) had been more convincing.

Saturday's display was the worst exhibition of attempted football seen at Carrow Road for some time. I felt for the fans who had paid for that travesty.

That it seems to have come as no surprise to most of us, and even after a run of results, is telling.

That we are falling back upon just blaming the visitor's tactics now amounts to looking for excuses. An explanation to conveniently conceal our own short-comings.

We should be more optimistic, but optimism is difficult as things are.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We've  gone from having a unique style and identity  to being a carbon copy of everyone else. We may still have some successes at times but I for one regret what has been needlessly thrown away.

And the thing is, I clearly remember Webber saying that this was what he wanted to avoid when changing coaches. That style and culture would, as far as is possible, remain constant. 

For me, appointing Smith after Farke was akin to the stupidity of appointing Hughton after Lambert. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, the idea was to flow from Farke to take the club forwards and all we’ve done is move sidewards which could work, but I for one would have liked a Frank type coach a potential step up but in the same style. This was Webbers vision he sold us.

If Smith fails this season the entire squad will need a major revamp, lots of older players who’ve been here too long need to be moved on whatever happens.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Needlessly thrown away what, exactly?  I seem to be one of few who remembers the clear flaws that we all went on about, a rigid style of play that was oh-so predictable.  We hardly blew sides away, winning most games by the odd goal and often with a late winner - exciting maybe but hardly something to live or die by.

It makes perfect sense to mix up our play - having a plan B was a constant criticism of Farke. We still are very much a passing side (65% possession on Sat) but mixed with far more pragmatism. Give it time and I’m sure it will work.  Edit: Smith has not once been able to play anything like his preferred XI  yet - we have had up to 10 out at times already this season (it was 8 on Saturday - Dimi, McCallum, Hayden, Idah, Sorensen, Rowe, Gunn, Gibbs) but let us never let that be a mitigating factor. 

One thing I’m certain of is that I really couldn’t care less if it is under Smith or someone else - I don’t really give two hoots who the manager is and never have, but have never ‘campaigned’ to get rid of one.  I recall periods where swaithes of people were calling for Farke’s head on at least 4 occasions (including his first season where our style was berated as boring and dull), I just hope it isn’t these same people now crying about him.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Christ alive, the pining for Farke is getting a bit embarrassing.

Are some of you lot writing him fanmail begging him to come back?

We had 2 woeful seasons in the premier League under him. To give him a third stint would be the definition of insanity. 

We are doing ok. Lets crack on. 

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It would be easier to stop talking about Daniel Farke if his replacement (s) had been more convincing.

Saturday's display was the worst exhibition of attempted football seen at Carrow Road for some time. I felt for the fans who had paid for that travesty.

That it seems to have come as no surprise to most of us, and even after a run of results, is telling.

That we are falling back upon just blaming the visitor's tactics now amounts to looking for excuses. An explanation to conveniently conceal our own short-comings.

We should be more optimistic, but optimism is difficult as things are.

Last time I felt like this at Championship level was a 0-0 vs Burton. Farke first season, that season was not great overall. Things picked up for him the following year 

I have endless disagreements with Hogesar. But at least he doesn't appear on a thread, put up a GIF, make what he sadly imagines to be a bon mot, and believe this turns him into the Oscar Wilde of the PinkUn message board.

• Haha 1

Is this thread about style or results. If it is about results then on any assessment Dean Smith wins. Best Norwich championship start ever.

If its about style then we know that farkeball in the premiership fails. Dean Smith has an approach which is much more pragmatic rougher if you like and certainly norwich foul more and defend in numbers by blocking. Will it work in the premiership should promotion be achieved then it can't be much worse.

And finally why is anyone unhappy after 7 unbeaten including 6 wins?

Oh good god, not yet another thread about Farke & Smith. Can't we please stop the comparisons and get behind SA& and the team.

Identities come in time, it's not great, there are sparks of what Smith is trying to do, & we have, as usual countless injuries. But we're on a very good run, even without playing well, and we're 2nd.

You just can't please all the people all the time! But please just stop the incessant comparisons!  

18 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Oh good god, not yet another thread about Farke & Smith. Can't we please stop the comparisons and get behind SA& and the team.

Identities come in time, it's not great, there are sparks of what Smith is trying to do, & we have, as usual countless injuries. But we're on a very good run, even without playing well, and we're 2nd.

You just can't please all the people all the time! But please just stop the incessant comparisons!  

Probably I was naive but the whole point of this thread was to STOP talking about Farke and comparing him and Smith. Judging Smith on his record, not in comparison with Farke.

9 hours ago, ricardo said:

Farke was the first person to abandon Farkeball.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

As my posts demonstrate, I'm no fan of Smith. So I think we're letting Smith's advocates get off lightly by this constant contrasting of Smith and Farke. Farke's gone. Whether he would be doing better than Smith is pointless hypothesising.

The contrast we should be focusing on is Smith Game 1 vs Smith Game 37 (West Brom, if you don't count cup games). And the questions we should be asking are, 'Has there been any improvement over that period? If so, how much and in what form? If so, why? If not, why not?'

Don't let Smith's advocates dismiss us as nostalgic fantasists dreaming about Farke. Put the pressure on them to prove that Smith is taking us forwards.

EDIT: To replace embarrassing grammatical error!

If you take away comparison to Farke then there's no grounds to complain about Smith. He's getting results with the squad at his disposal. We've had 19 out of a possible 21 points in the last 7 games. The style is developing as the season progresses.

Complaints only start becoming relevant if you're nostalgic about a specific style of play in the Championship that we've only seen at Norwich during Farke's tenure. 

We're sitting 2nd in the Championship averaging 2 points per game with the joint 2nd best goal difference in the league; it's deluded to think there's any pressure to advocate in favour of Smith's continued tenure. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

I really hope Dean Smith is successful and gets us promoted and I still fully expect that he will achieve that goal. He may even go on to better things. However I don't ever expect to see his face painted on the side of a pub or the Barclay take him to their hearts the way they did with Daniel Farke.

That sort of thing only happens very rarely and with very few people. Don't ask me why but thats just the way I see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I really hope Dean Smith is successful and gets us promoted and I still fully expect that he will achieve that goal. He may even go on to better things. However I don't ever expect to see his face painted on the side of a pub or the Barclay take him to their hearts the way they did with Daniel Farke.

That sort of thing only happens very rarely and with very few people. Don't ask me why but thats just the way I see it.

This is true true for some of Farke's tenure but certainly not the first season and quite a way into his second season. September 2018 there were as many unhappy about Farke as there are now about Smith.

I certainly don't feel the connection with Smith that I did with Farke. He has yet to impress me like Farke did but the results he's getting and the way the players are responding to him make it seem churlish to say so.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

The whole Smith thing feels very Alex Neil.

Whenever we sing about recent glory it's Paul Lambert or Daniel farke poor old wee baldy who gave us a cracking play off final is the forgotten man.

Dean Smith very much feels like he will be remembered as "the chap we had after farke and before (name as yet unknown)"

He's certainly not going to end up a city legend.

He's like the hot blonde you date on the rebound after a long term relationship.

She's cute but hasn't got any substance and is forgotten by all when the next one comes along.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There's no need to be a gloom and doom merchant farkes gone ,his record in the prem was appalling , however his record in the championship was amazing, but we have to move on now, Deanos done well recently with a sub standard midfield , let's all get behind him we should have signed another CDM in the summer though.

3 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

The whole Smith thing feels very Alex Neil.

Whenever we sing about recent glory it's Paul Lambert or Daniel farke poor old wee baldy who gave us a cracking play off final is the forgotten man.

Dean Smith very much feels like he will be remembered as "the chap we had after farke and before (name as yet unknown)"

He's certainly not going to end up a city legend.

He's like the hot blonde you date on the rebound after a long term relationship.

She's cute but hasn't got any substance and is forgotten by all when the next one comes along.

I wish I had your action bruv!

• Haha 2

As with anything in life If people want to talk something let them, just because someone may talk about something does not mean you either a) have to join in or b) stop them. 

If you don’t wish to talk about Farke probably best to not start a thread about it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ricardo said:

it is hard for logic to prevail over emotion.