cambridgeshire canary

Talking about Farkeball..

I’m Not one to sit in the css as no of “ oh if only Farke were still here” he was a great mdd as Agee for us, truly one of the best, but I see why he was sacked. At that exact moment again st Brentford? No, but the writing was on the wall.

Farke changed our football mentality and method and it didn’t work in the premier league, which is fair enough, but at least when he came in he CHANGED things and HAD a football method he wanted to try

We’re now stuck in a holding pattern, no change has been made, just playing generic football and we either falter and fail in this, frankly, pretty poor league or we get out of it and are doomed to make The same mistakes we did last time.

Plenty of people see bad signs. We’ve been around long enough on this rollercoaster.

we needed bold change and we got Dean Smith and nobody at the board level felt any consequences. That is not right.

I wish him well, I think he's the best manager we've had since I started supporting 20 odd years ago, but you have to remember he has a much better team to work with there and there isn't a Palace/Watford/Burnley/West Ham etc style team in that league full of 6 ft 4, quick, powerful athletes who can run faster than you can pass the ball and stop your team playing so what he does there is irrelevant in the context of our club. You can't play patient, passing football in the PL anymore unless you have one of the top teams. I love the guy and hope he does well but I don't want him back or look on with envy because while he was the right manager for us when he came to us, he's not what we need right now if we ever want a cat in hells chance of going up and staying up. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I’m Not one to sit in the css as no of “ oh if only Farke were still here” he was a great mdd as Agee for us, truly one of the best, but I see why he was sacked. At that exact moment again st Brentford? No, but the writing was on the wall.

Farke changed our football mentality and method and it didn’t work in the premier league, which is fair enough, but at least when he came in he CHANGED things and HAD a football method he wanted to try

We’re now stuck in a holding pattern, no change has been made, just playing generic football and we either falter and fail in this, frankly, pretty poor league or we get out of it and are doomed to make The same mistakes we did last time.

Plenty of people see bad signs. We’ve been around long enough on this rollercoaster.

we needed bold change and we got Dean Smith and nobody at the board level felt any consequences. That is not right.

Agreed but when Farke arrived we needed change. A way to deal with lack of parachute money etc… a way to stop the slow march down the championship the club had experienced before. And it worked.

The club is not in that place now we have better players that most of the teams in the championship. We just needed a steady hand on the tiller to get us back to the premier league at the first time of asking.

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Chroisht, you're like a stuck record Buh, have you nothing else going on in your life other than  a one man campaign of negativity towards DS.  If so, then I suggest standing outside Colney ( not on schooldays of course)  with the points of your campaign clearly printed in a legible fashion on a Board etc. Alternate between Colney and CR , and someone will read it.  We've all heard it before chap and  nothing's changed....I believe it was you who defined madness only recently, yet you're falling into your own trap geeeeeez....and looking sillier all the time. You need to change tactics kid.  Don't take it personally like you normally do, it's for your own good. We care, even if you hate yourself for your failure. Good luck with that difficult transition to 'Big School' ...it can be scary going from a big fish in a small pond etc. So we understand your lashing out, it's ok. Inability to cope is not uncommon. We send love.

Yours,  rational supporters. X

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Chroisht, you're like a stuck record Buh, have you nothing else going on in your life other than  a one man campaign of negativity towards DS.  If so, then I suggest standing outside Colney ( not on schooldays of course)  with the points of your campaign clearly printed in a legible fashion on a Board etc. Alternate between Colney and CR , and someone will read it.  We've all heard it before chap and  nothing's changed....I believe it was you who defined madness only recently, yet you're falling into your own trap geeeeeez....and looking sillier all the time. You need to change tactics kid.  Don't take it personally like you normally do, it's for your own good. We care, even if you hate yourself for your failure. Good luck with that difficult transition to 'Big School' ...it can be scary going from a big fish in a small pond etc. So we understand your lashing out, it's ok. Inability to cope is not uncommon. We send love.

Yours,  rational supporters. X

Yeah, so rational you resort to name calling and belittling when someone has a different opinion to you.
Yours, a concerned supporter x 

• Like 2

I'm really pleased for him. Was a but surprised by his trip to Russia, always thought German top tier was his next calling 

• Like 3

Glad it's working out for him ( see what I did there...oh dear)

For me the only identify Dean Smith has is the whole, is he a Pg man, Tetley's or Yorkshire?

I see him as a bit of Milky Pg tips with 3 sugars kind of guy...(not a compliment)

Farke refused to adapt to survive in the Premier League which cost us hundreds of millions. 

He bombed out some quite talented players who happened to disagree with him in such a way that reduced their value thereby costing the club millions. 

That's bad management. 

I don't buy this 'Farke didn't adapt' narrative. Farke did adapt, and it all fell apart. I will always maintain that we were far better equipped to stay up (before the awful transfer window) on the second attempt; if only Farke had stuck to his successful formula.

We were better than Brentford by every metric. They are now reasonably competitive in the Premier League. Changing the system was madness, so was sacking Farke. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I don't buy this 'Farke didn't adapt' narrative. Farke did adapt, and it all fell apart. I will always maintain that we were far better equipped to stay up (before the awful transfer window) on the second attempt; if only Farke had stuck to his successful formula.

We were better than Brentford by every metric. They are now reasonably competitive in the Premier League. Changing the system was madness, so was sacking Farke. 

So Farke was to blame for not playing the system that worked but he shouldn't have been sacked for it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

So Farke was to blame for not playing the system that worked but he shouldn't have been sacked for it?

I'm pretty certain that the change in system as well as the accompanying recruitment were driven by the director of football. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

They've had a decent start to the season overall haven't they? Good luck to the guy.

The Bundesliga is a mix of PL and Championship quality so it’s not a huge surprise he’s doing ok. 

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

No, he should have been told to go back to 4231.  As a lesser financed team in the prem the 2DM system is the smart way to go.... If they can understand that one of them has to stay in front of the centre halfs if the other goes walkabout, whether attacking or covering for advanced full back.

• Like 1

The way I see it is we’ve  downgraded massively going from Farke to Smith, But If turgid football is what it takes to keep us in the PL we certainly now have the right man.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

Farke refused to adapt to survive in the Premier League which cost us hundreds of millions. 

He bombed out some quite talented players who happened to disagree with him in such a way that reduced their value thereby costing the club millions. 

That's bad management. 

No words for this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I'm pretty certain that the change in system as well as the accompanying recruitment were driven by the director of football. 

Hahahaha, oh god, that's funny... 

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

That's a fantastic and intelligent counter-argument you've put forward there.

Farke clearly tried to adapt. First with the 433 and then with 5 at the back which was a semi successful stopgap. 

Farke's football could have absolutely seen us survive in the top flight if weren't by far one of the worst couple of squads in the league. If we're that far behind the other squads next time it wouldn't matter who was in charge.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Farke clearly tried to adapt. First with the 433 and then with 5 at the back which was a semi successful stopgap. 

Farke's football could have absolutely seen us survive in the top flight if weren't by far one of the worst couple of squads in the league. If we're that far behind the other squads next time it wouldn't matter who was in charge.

100% exactly this.

Fed up with hearing “Farke couldn’t adapt” or “Farke was out of his depth” and such like. Farke is a millions time more dynamic than the current head coach I’m afraid.

The squad was ridiculously too weak for the premier league on both occasions and I doubt very much there is a coach out there that could have avoided relegation with them.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Petriix said:

That's a fantastic and intelligent counter-argument you've put forward there.

Because you haven't put forward anything but bias drivel.

If you are going to share a balanced view, it wouldn't look anything like that would it? You gloss over so much and just bang on about Farke like he was some sort of messiah.

For example, you fail to mention in our last championship campaign we had Skipp and Buendia. The latter being an incredibly gifted footballer that was incredibly key to Farke's success. Some people even go so far as try to argue that we could have stayed up last season if we had kept him.

Dean Smith is getting better results without that calibre of player in our squad - yet. I say yet, Buendia didn't arrive in a trail of blazing stars, though it was perhaps clear with about 1/3-1/2 a season in that we had a decent player on our hands. Nunez could yet become better than he currently is and more consistent, even if not as good as Buendia he could offer aspects that are just as key to us.

Either way, this team is clearly still finding it's way forward together. Some shaking off the demons of last season, others returning to the club and trying to prove their worth to stay and get a shot at the premier league. It's in transition. It is, undeniably, becoming tougher to beat though.

It can't possibly be a coincidence that you chose your time to create posts and comment on others after a dismal draw though. Apparently we should sack a manager who's got the best series of results in this division going back further than Farke's time here.

I guess I should also apologise on Dean's behalf that English is his first language so there aren't the lost in translation moments that have the impact of warming  you to Farke like his use of "topics" etc.

It's ridiculous and completely laughable. That's my honest reaction. You don't provide a balanced view. It's a view with the "we should never have sacked Farke" skew. In other words, Smith is never going to be good enough for you because he's not Farke.  

21 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

100% exactly this.

Fed up with hearing “Farke couldn’t adapt” or “Farke was out of his depth” and such like. Farke is a millions time more dynamic than the current head coach I’m afraid.

The squad was ridiculously too weak for the premier league on both occasions and I doubt very much there is a coach out there that could have avoided relegation with them.

It begs the question though, if we were that bad a squad, and we would have gone down no matter what, why did we not at least go with 4-2-5-1 for an incredibly tough opening set of fixtures?

A system the majority of our squad had played the season before, we embedded in and could impart knowledge of and guide new players into in what were some of the hardest games they would face? Literally nothing to lose. Instead he opted to go with a completely new formation, different roles and players looking repeatedly lost. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, dominant throughout, complete control of game, winning 3-0 against a team who played in Champions League midweek.

He's doing very well - let's get him back to take us up (we're going up anyway) and then take us straight back down the following season with the wonderful Farkeball we witnessed in our brief flirtartion in the Premier 😜

Or maybe we should keep Smith who will take us up and give us a better chance of Premier survival 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

This was your response to someone saying, "I'm pretty certain that the change in system as well as the accompanying recruitment were driven by the director of football."

I genuinely don't see why you think it's funny. Part of the role of a DoF is to establish the 'culture' of a club so that this is preserved if the head coach changes. It's also to supervise and lead recruitment.

Unless we spend over a £100m Smith won't give us a better chance of survival. 

Oh and he hasn't got us there yet. Let's see where we stand after we've played Sheff Utd, Burnley and Watford away next month.

• Like 4

No team in the PL outside of the top 6 plays anything resembling 'Farkeball' except maybe Leicester. If any of you are insisting that it could have worked you have to ask yourself why no other team plays that way? Why do these experienced and talented coaches who all most likely enjoy watching possesion based football not set their teams up that way? Again, Leicester do sort of but they emphasize counter attacks and set pieces more and have a squad of a higher caliber than we could ever afford and incidentally they also sit bottom right now. Fulham did for 2 seasons under different managers and had similar years to us, this year under Silva they switched to counter attacking football and launch the ball up to Mitrovic and they currently sit 6th with half our points total after 7 games! Another more relevant example is our good spell last year when we played two up top and went more direct, we generally looked better in games and had a relatively good spell before Idah got injured. It's hard to play that way with inferior players, goals are always really hard work relying on pinpoint passes and skill, mistakes come easily as well with the risks involved, you need to be technically excellent so with our budget that comes at the cost of physicality and pace so you're easy to play against and teams can stop you playing.  

Even if we kept Buendia and got Skipp back and Farke kept the same formula that he won the Championship with it absolutely wouldn't have worked! Probably would have been a bit better than what actually happened and we'd have scored more but we would have gone down still. It's sad that pace and physicality now rules in that league and staying up like Swansea did in 2010 playing passing football isn't possible anymore, but it is what it is, football changes and we're going to have to adapt. If we go up again we should play on the counter, sign a quality set piece taker and two upgrades on Hernandez to play either side of Pukki, minimize risk at the back and focus on stopping teams from playing. We won't do that because it's not what Webber, the owners or the majority of fans want, but it's what would give us the best chance of staying up. 

• Like 2