Pugin

Not one word about West Brom

Was chatting to a young lady from Birmingham before the game and her thoughts on the WBA team and their playing style was pretty much identical to ours about Norwich.

She was adamant they would lose so she'll be happy with the point I'm guessing. 

She'd have been easy to spot from the Barclay, big tall young lady with silver hair. Lovely to chat to.

6 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Was chatting to a young lady from Birmingham before the game and her thoughts on the WBA team and their playing style was pretty much identical to ours about Norwich.

She was adamant they would lose so she'll be happy with the point I'm guessing. 

She'd have been easy to spot from the Barclay, big tall young lady with silver hair. Lovely to chat to.

I too was chatting to a West Brom fan after the game, he was distinctive as well with  3” WBA letters in yellow and green centre stage on the forehead.
I would guess he was well into double figures on fluid intake and the only points he raised that I could understand due to accent and alcohol was:-

”Bruce has lost the dressing room”🤭 and

”Our keepers ****e”

I told home I thought they were 2 players short of a very good team and wished him well.

Edited by Block Y Seat 176

West Brom had a game plan which worked. They were well drilled and gave us no space in the middle which lets face it was a good idea!

Also they were quicker and stronger than us in nearly all the one on ones and 50/50's.

Credit where credits due they done a job on us and were unlucky to not win! 

4 hours ago, kingsway said:

West Brom had a game plan which worked. They were well drilled and gave us no space in the middle which lets face it was a good idea!

Also they were quicker and stronger than us in nearly all the one on ones and 50/50's.

Credit where credits due they done a job on us and were unlucky to not win! 

Yes, they did. But when you have a squad which is as good on paper as Albion's, playing negative, attritional football doesn't look good.

They'll shoot up the league as soon as they bow to the inevitable and sack Bruce.

The only thing I've always disliked about this club is how meek and nice we are, we just never seem to be capable of doing what WBA did to us yesterday whenever we're in the Premier League or playing better teams and we can't match teams who do that to us.  I wasn't getting wound up by what WBA we're doing yesterday or the ref for letting it go, I was getting wound up by how we refused to give them some back and that we were just compliantly letting them get away with it. Not one of our players started getting on the refs back about the time wasting, we never left a foot in on someone or pulled them down when they were breaking on us, there was no holding or shirt pulling from us or dumping players on the floor during an aerial challenge . You need that side of the game as well as the prettier stuff.

Talk all you want about money/players/tactics etc if we had that edge about us and were capable of playing dirty and spoiling games we'd have gotten more than a pathetic 21 points last year and suffered fewer thrashings. Like one of our former managers used to say, you have to earn the right to play and yesterday we didn't, it's like we expected WBA to just let us and we were lucky to get a point alongside a dire performance. 

Duncan Forbes you are missed ...

Edited by hairpie

There's entitlement in the air at Carrow Road. Michael Bailey summed it up well.

An opposition who were spoiling the game, a ref who was angering the crowd, we equalise, Onel is fired up, a mix that should have fired a reaction but the support was meh. 

Like Michael said very diplomatically that might need to change.

You miss out a lazy lack luster crappy performance from a team that is and should be performing better.

I don't think it's privilege that is just another nice way of making it ok, excusable and acceptable to be playing so poorly.

If we were playing like a team worthy of going up we wouldnt care.

We were poor that last 3 games and that is unacceptable.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

Lazy is an unbelievable charge. Rather like the guy on the other thread who said Kenny was hiding up. I guess it's a case of seeing what you want to see.

We are a championship side with parachute payments and so are WBA. I wouldn't want to bet on which of us will finish higher. They did their best to nullify our threats and got an early lead. We were always in the game and the players proved they are playing for the manager at least. We got an equaliser and it was definitely a point won in the end. But we could have got more with more belief in the stadium.

If it's believed that we  should be just turning up and beating the likes of WBA that's arrogance in the extreme.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Lazy is an unbelievable charge. Rather like the guy on the other thread who said Kenny was hiding up. I guess it's a case of seeing what you want to see.

We are a championship side with parachute payments and so are WBA. I wouldn't want to bet on which of us will finish higher. They did their best to nullify our threats and got an early lead. We were always in the game and the players proved they are playing for the manager at least. We got an equaliser and it was definitely a point won in the end. But we could have got more with more belief in the stadium.

If it's believed that we  should be just turning up and beating the likes of WBA that's arrogance in the extreme.

But seems to be the weird level of expectation from our fans. Someone put it pretty well in another thread, a large % of our fans are acting like the Arsenal of the Championship.

Personally I thought that West Brom were a strong, well organized team and looked the better side, pushing for a win at the end.

Not a great game, but we were lucky with our goal. But good fortune gets teams promoted. 

I was pleased with the draw when at the game, and hopefully we can play better next game.

Weet Brom will be in, or around, the Top 6 at the end of the season.

Let's be honest. West Brom were athletic and organised - as you would expect - without any real weapons. They had a very limited game plan which they executed well, but you can see exactly why they haven't been winning.

You can argue that they contained us (and particularly Pukki) well. But I'd counter that we nullified ourselves by dropping Cantwell and reverting to the 4-3-3. It's very hard to break down teams who are happy to stick everyone behind the ball. That's why you need creativity and movement.

The most significant factor (which people are ignoring) is that this kind of fixture represents just about the easiest games in the Premier League. If we go up then West Brom at home would be one of the 'must wins' required for survival. As a measure of progress it shows that we aren't close to closing that gap. 

Yes, it's still (relatively) early in the season. We've got injuries and players just getting up to speed. But other teams aren't going to stand still while we get better. West Brom are hardly firing on all cylinders.

I'm OK with a draw, but I want to see a semblance of a game plan for how we intend to win this kind of match. 

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Let's be honest. West Brom were athletic and organised - as you would expect - without any real weapons. They had a very limited game plan which they executed well, but you can see exactly why they haven't been winning.

You can argue that they contained us (and particularly Pukki) well. But I'd counter that we nullified ourselves by dropping Cantwell and reverting to the 4-3-3. It's very hard to break down teams who are happy to stick everyone behind the ball. That's why you need creativity and movement.

The most significant factor (which people are ignoring) is that this kind of fixture represents just about the easiest games in the Premier League. If we go up then West Brom at home would be one of the 'must wins' required for survival. As a measure of progress it shows that we aren't close to closing that gap. 

Yes, it's still (relatively) early in the season. We've got injuries and players just getting up to speed. But other teams aren't going to stand still while we get better. West Brom are hardly firing on all cylinders.

I'm OK with a draw, but I want to see a semblance of a game plan for how we intend to win this kind of match. 

I think you are right that it was a mistake to drop Cantwell.

I suspect Dean and Craig believed that Todd would hate the physicality of the game. If so, they were mistaken. Todd knows how to look after himself and would have loved to have been getting in dangerous areas where be would either have cause mayhem or been fouled. It could have won us the game. Fortune favours the brave. Totally over-thought by the management team. It happens 🙂

Edited by Pugin

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I agree that we made ourselves worse dropping Cantwell and moving Ramsey onto the wing… to accommodate Sara (what is he?). I think we looked much better with Argos came on for Sara. 

I find it strange that we play some players out of position, rather than buying better players for the positions we require?! 

I thought you could tell they were desperate for the win, if they hadn't had such a poor start to the season they wouldn't have shut up shop after they scored, and that would have been worse for us imo.

2 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

I agree that we made ourselves worse dropping Cantwell and moving Ramsey onto the wing… to accommodate Sara (what is he?). I think we looked much better with Argos came on for Sara. 

I find it strange that we play some players out of position, rather than buying better players for the positions we require?! 

Have to agree with the last sentence, until these injuries clear up ( if ever ) Saturday’s problems will continue 

Looking down from the Upper Barclay (and no doubt the same from the River End Upper), you can really see how horrible our shape is. 

It becomes even worse when Sargent drifts infield and the midfield follow the  ball around.

We're not cohesive and rely a lot on Hernandez to carry the ball upfield rather than create openings via the midfield. I was expecting a lot better I must be honest. Hopefully things will improve when Hayden joins in.

Also, whilst he has his faults, if we're to play Pukki then Dowell needs to play as well imo.