Sign in to follow this  
pete

Loan System are there any rules?

What are the rules governing the use of the loaning of players between clubs.  I understood a club was entitled to 2 domestic loans only 1 from any EPL/EFL team and 2 international loans.  This is how Norwich City have applied its approach.  However seemingly other clubs are allowed additional loan signings and used this to be promoted.

Watford in ther recent past Watford abused the loan system to sign numerous loans, largely from Udinese, I bekieve this led to the tightening of the rules.  Fulham had a number of loan signings in the season they got to the PL prior to Parker investing £100+ in trying to keep Fulham in the PL, certainly more than the rules provided.  Nottingham Forest had many loanees last season including Spence (M'Boro, Garher (Man U) and Davies (Villa) and others, meaning it was necessary to sign 20 to play in the PL.  And now Sfeff Utd have got in on the act, in yesterdays Sun Heckington boasted of signing four domestic loans uncluding 2 from Man C.

I know City's record inn the loan market is appalling.  Signing either unjured players or those with a dubious injury record or just useless or prove to be so e.g. Gibson and Gilmour.  Hayden seems to be and continues to be the missing piece of the jigsaw, however is he really a DM, who knows.  But I am sure Smith would have kied the option to sign additional loan signings enjoyed by other clubs seemingly flouting the loan system not applied by   

None of the clubs you’ve mentioned have “flouted the loan system”. I think you’re getting confused between the different rules in the EPL and the EFL.

4 hours ago, pete said:

What are the rules governing the use of the loaning of players between clubs.  I understood a club was entitled to 2 domestic loans only 1 from any EPL/EFL team and 2 international loans.  

That's in the Premier League.

In the EFL, I think the rule is no restrictions on the total number but a maximum of five loanees in a matchday squad, isn't it? I know it used to be, but it might've changed.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's in the Premier League.

In the EFL, I think the rule is no restrictions on the total number but a maximum of five loanees in a matchday squad, isn't it? I know it used to be, but it might've changed.

You are correct, but I believe that's only domestic loans as international loans are classed as short term, reversible transfers as the players registration gets moved between the relevant FAs. I've already pointed this out a few times to Pete, even pointing him to the relevant rule in the EFL rulebook, hopefully he only has me on ignore (though can't imagine why he would) so he finally stops asking this question...

Thanks for the explanation, no cheating then.  Why have we never had more than two.  Need another defensive option with Oma's groin issue are you happy to see Gibson as our last hope in CB.  I shan't comment in future re loan restrictions.

19 hours ago, pete said:

Thanks for the explanation, no cheating then.  Why have we never had more than two.  Need another defensive option with Oma's groin issue are you happy to see Gibson as our last hope in CB.  I shan't comment in future re loan restrictions.

Probably because we have to pay for them and 'self-funding' doesn't conjure up any additional money?

20 hours ago, pete said:

Why have we never had more than two. 

Do you mean domestic loans? Because we consistently have more than two loanees total- 5 last season, 4 the season before...

On 19/09/2022 at 13:42, pete said:

Need another defensive option with Oma's groin issue are you happy to see Gibson as our last hope in CB.

I'm thankful that we have someone of Gibson's standard to come in - in the past we've had to place midfielders at CB.  It could be a lot worse.  If I were to bring an additional loan in, it would be to protect the CB higher up the field with a defensive mid, because we are SEVERELY lacking there.