Sign in to follow this  
KeiranShikari

Brendan Rodgers is going to be available soon

Watch Spurs' v Leicester on MOTD, he'd fit this club like a glove. Players not marking from a cross, conceeded from a set piece and then gave the ball away in a dangerous area by messing around with it at the back for the 3rd, definitely looks like a Norwich manager in waiting!

I'm joking of course, I'd take him here in a heartbeat, he's a good manager he's just had his time at Leicester, there is something to be said for staying at a club too long, players get tired of the same voice all the time and the same methods, managers naturally will lose a bit of enthusiasm for the job if you've been there a while and not added to the squad over the summer. Changing managers shouldn't be treated like a sin or as a sign of being badly run, not every manager at every club is Alex Ferguson and Man Utd. What Watford do is wrong obviously but freshening it up every few years is also not a bad idea at times.

If he's ever available when we're also looking for a new manager I'd take him, think we'd have to be in the top flight and have more money available for him to consider it though. His style is similar to Farke's with more of an emphasis on speed and attack, he needs good players as well to make it work, but so does everyone who would fit into Webber and the owners vision for a head coach here, we'd never employ a Dyche or Allardyce so if it has to be a manager who plays possesion football we couldn't really do better than Rodgers

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

1 hour ago, Virtual reality said:

Makes you wonder who was on that list when the decision to sack Farke was made then. Looks like amateur hour all around to sack a manager without a genuine option in mind 

I don't think so. They're separate events really. We know Webber has updated lists in case a manager leaves. He will have known who was the best available when he sacked Farke. But Smith must have been higher up that list and he was sacked the next day. I don't really understand why people can't see that. Maybe they don't want to?

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't think so. They're separate events really. We know Webber has updated lists in case a manager leaves. He will have known who was the best available when he sacked Farke. But Smith must have been higher up that list and he was sacked the next day. I don't really understand why people can't see that. Maybe they don't want to?

I want to see that list. Do you reckon he still has it or screwed up and thrown in the bin?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If a relegation rivals sacked manager is suddenly the outstanding candidate then quite honestly Webber needs to up his game. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I want to see that list. Do you reckon he still has it or screwed up and thrown in the bin?

I don't know but I doubt it. 

We will never know who was on it. It may be we missed out or it may be that Smith was the right man. I don't know yet. Do you?

I think two lists existed, one with managers we could tempt and one with managers we may like that are close to the sack. The tempt list requires a bit more realism and degree budget constraints and the other potentially opens up a manager looking to bounce back that we otherwise wouldn’t have gone for.

I think Smith on paper probably looked a better manager than we have seen this far but I’m still not ruling out him being the right man of all that was to be had. I’d still have taken him if the choice were him or Frank, which I think dodged us a bullet. 

22 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't think we dived in with the first out of work manager. As I understood it when he lost the Villa job he became the highest available manager on Webber's list.

To be fair, Cambridge was 2nd on the list..... 

On 17/09/2022 at 19:48, Nexus_Canary said:

Yes, I'd take Kenny Rogers right now to be fair.

Oh Nexus, Don’t take your club to town.

• Haha 1

On 17/09/2022 at 19:52, TeemuVanBasten said:

Absolutely not.

He's too democratic, which is why the novelty wears off a few seasons into a job and he loses control.

The Leicester players vote for who they want as captain and they have a 'players council' which makes decisions.

We don't need that, we need a manager who isn't afraid of putting a rocket up their backsides. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say that he's a fraud, but rather that his unconventional techniques can be effective in the short term but he's consistently shown that they don't work in the longer term.

Not sure on the "too democratic" objection, but there could be an argument that it doesn't work as well with players who are average by the standards of a division / competition and it may be better for players who are above the average.

Obvious example would be Helmut Schön's West Germany teams. He was only about the best international football manager of all time.

20 hours ago, Indy said:

So if Rodgers goes, I suppose Smith will be first choice! I mean some on here are all about Facts and given he’s improved our team and performances by a country mile from Farke, he must be a shore bet to take over! He’s the best manager outside the Premier league! I will miss him, hope we get decent compensation!👍😉

Surely DF will be in with a shout?

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Surely DF will be in with a shout?

I have a feeling it might be Craig Counsell, but get ready to change the 6 yard box to a diamond! 😉
As some people love stats his win % is better than Smith…..

Edited by Indy

17 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Much as I want us to succeed, a little bit of me would like to see Smith poached by another club, just to see what happened with the comments on here.

Thank #uck for that would be massively popular I would expect