Petriix

Dean Smith assessment after 10 games...

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Are you happy? Obviously you're happy with 20 points and we all are. But are you happy with the performances? Do you think we can go up automatically performing like we have so far?

Well I’m not unhappy - I can see what they are trying to do which some seem blind to, which is to be far more pragmatic.  Of course performances have been inconsistent but if you’re getting results that will come, particularly bearing in mind we still have a lot of players missing.  The fact that some are so unwilling to give the slightest mitigation for that fact is pretty ridiculous…particularly when it was acceptable to when we had a defender shortage under Farke 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Several of us who were undecided about Dean Smith said 'let's give him 10 games'. Well, here we are. 

If you'd asked me on Wednesday then my assessment would have been somewhat more positive, but today was a reality check and highlights how little we've progressed under Smith.

I'm willing to allow those first three games as a temporary blip while we found our feet. Far from ideal, but not the end of the world. 

The next 4 we found a way to win without playing especially well. Definitely a good sign. The next two we hit another gear (for the most part).

However, the midfield frailties persist. McLean is not a DM and Nunez is not fast or physical enough (yet) to perform the defensive part of the role he is being asked to do.

The telling thing for me is that we had dropped Rashica and (finally) reverted to the 4-2-3-1. With a number 10, Pukki was unshackled and back to his best. Cantwell was playing well too, in the same role in which he had originally broken into Farke's team.

We were creating chances. And taking them too. 

Yet here we are today. Cantwell dropped (squad rotated?) and back to the 4-3-3. And back to the same turgid rubbish from last season. No ideas. No creativity. Pukki isolated. Kenny as a single pivot in midfield, looking vulnerable and ineffective. A massive backwards step.

We're second in the table. 2 points per game. Salvaged a draw from a losing position against a good side. It's not so bad. Good enough, ultimately. 

However I'm still left with the overriding questions: what have we gained? Is this progress? 

It seems like the plan is still to keep persevering with the 4-3-3, despite its obvious shortcomings with our squad. It isn't working and it won't work with these players.

I can't warm to Dean Smith. The atmosphere is flat. There's an underlying discontent, simmering under the surface. 

We might just about have enough for automatic promotion. But we're nowhere near the level we hit under Farke. And we look further away from being a Premier League team than at any point in the last 4 years.

So, after 10 Championship games my verdict on Dean Smith: meh. 

I could have wrote the same myself. Exactly what myself and my mate said after game. Its a poor league,and  it seems us and maybe 2 or 3 teams are the best of a bad bunch.But it is what it is. But ,progress,no don't see a lot.

12 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Perhaps. But under Farke there was a fire. Passion. Connection. Belief. Surely the point of sacking him was to improve. Do different. I'm just not seeing that improvement. 

I dont think we are better than under Farke at this level but that doesn't mean we should sack Smith.

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

If you want to be a muppet about it then it’s 2+ Sorensen who was back up, but that is being really twatty.

Can you not have a debate without resorting to insults? 

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

particularly when it was acceptable to when we had a defender shortage under Farke

When we had a defender shortage under Farke we beat Man City. With respect we're pretty far from that level right now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I dont think we are better than under Farke at this level but that doesn't mean we should sack Smith.

I never said we should sack him. That would be bonkers at this point. I just don't think we've gained anything by sacking Farke and appointing him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well I’m not unhappy - I can see what they are trying to do which some seem blind to, which is to be far more pragmatic.  Of course performances have been inconsistent but if you’re getting results that will come, particularly bearing in mind we still have a lot of players missing.  The fact that some are so unwilling to give the slightest mitigation for that fact is pretty ridiculous…particularly when it was acceptable to when we had a defender shortage under Farke 

Farke's gone. We've moved on and comparisons are pointless. So I think we agree on that.

You say, 'I can see what they are trying to do', but I honestly can't. I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say this. Sometimes we hoof it, but we're not playing hoofball. Sometimes we try to go down the wings, but we're not really hugging them, at least until Onel comes on. Sometimes we try to play on the ground through the middle, but not often and we don't seem to commit players when we do. It all seems a bit half-hearted, as if no one's really given it that much thought  - 'it'll all be alright on the night'.

What do you think Smith is trying to do (other than the obvious win games/get promoted)?

3 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Can you not have a debate without resorting to insults? 

Debate? Yes, of course.

But equally I don’t see a problem calling out a deliberately stupid reply.  

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Farke's gone. We've moved on and comparisons are pointless. So I think we agree on that.

You say, 'I can see what they are trying to do', but I honestly can't. I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say this. Sometimes we hoof it, but we're not playing hoofball. Sometimes we try to go down the wings, but we're not really hugging them, at least until Onel comes on. Sometimes we try to play on the ground through the middle, but not often and we don't seem to commit players when we do. It all seems a bit half-hearted, as if no one's really given it that much thought  - 'it'll all be alright on the night'.

What do you think Smith is trying to do (other than the obvious win games/get promoted)?

I’ve already said - he has a more pragmatic approach, far less rigid around a fixed style of play and willing to mix it up - for instance we have seen formation changes within the game several times.  We are clearly still very much a footballing side but are happy to be far less predictable, hence Pukki’s first goal on Wednesday.   Definitely in the PL our predictability was suicidal.

No one is saying we should sack Smith but he's just a nothing event for me.

This squad should easily attain automatic promotion. I just don't see what style or set up we have under Smith. If you're happy with him, then great for you. I just find him one almighty meh.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve already said - he has a more pragmatic approach, far less rigid around a fixed style of play and willing to mix it up - for instance we have seen formation changes within the game several times.  We are clearly still very much a footballing side but are happy to be far less predictable, hence Pukki’s first goal on Wednesday.   Definitely in the PL our predictability was suicidal.

Fair enough. One man's pragmatism is another man's cluelessness, I suppose.

i think we were spoilt under Farke we won and played good football ,

Under smith we are still winning games and 2nd in the league so he is doing his job 

just not that connection we had before but he is getting results 

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Under smith we are still winning games and 2nd in the league so he is doing his job 

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

The cult think Farke only won splendidly..he didn't 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sacked tonight then I wouldn't care less. Given another 10 games then the same. An expendable asset as long as we achieve promotion.

That sums it up for me and possibly majority of fans? I wouldn’t be disappointed if I read he’d gone tomorrow nor am I wanting him out, he’s got the results to justify staying in charge, yet has he won many over who weren’t excited by his appointment?

Strange it could be a Farke hangover as a person Smith is a nice bloke.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorry but did any of you watch NCFC under Farke in the premier league?

Yes but we looked worse under Smith in the premier league! 👍

• Like 3

For me, none of the players here when Farke got the push have improved under Smith. In fact, i think several have gone backwards. Our first touch is abysmal and way off PL quality, as is our ability to play out from the back and beat a press. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

That sums it up for me and possibly majority of fans? I wouldn’t be disappointed if I read he’d gone tomorrow nor am I wanting him out, he’s got the results to justify staying in charge, yet has he won many over who weren’t excited by his appointment?

Is he? I don't read him that way. He says what people want to hear. For me, he's fake.

Of course, this is just my impression, which is no more or less valid than your impression. Who knows what he's really like?

23 minutes ago, astro said:

For me, none of the players here when Farke got the push have improved under Smith. In fact, i think several have gone backwards. Our first touch is abysmal and way off PL quality, as is our ability to play out from the back and beat a press. 

Cantwell? Idah? Hanley? Sargent?

All seem to be players (off the top of my head) who have been better under Smith.

Sargent has looked better because he's in an easier league.

Cantwell is still miles below his highest levels and even where he was in the previous championship season. 

Idah has hardly played.

Hanley's level hasn't really changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of Smith’s biggest errors appears to be that he hasn’t learned to come across to the Barclay and do an elaborate back-and-forth salute. Had he mastered this simple step he might just be a bit more popular among the fans now…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

He's managerbot 1000. Need to download the updated voicepack before we get a press conference worth listening to. 

His post match comments are never far off what I think has happened. He is honest without question, he just doesn’t get all worked up and churn out cliches. 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Cantwell? Idah? Hanley? Sargent?

All seem to be players (off the top of my head) who have been better under Smith.

Really? You honestly believe that? 

16 minutes ago, astro said:

Really? You honestly believe that? 

Do you think Onel would still be here? He for one seems to be far more enjoying life.  

Smith has given chances to several youngsters, Gibbs, Rowe, Springett, Tomkinson so I doubt they feel that they have gone backwards. Todd was going nowhere fast under Farke. There’s plenty who are faring better.

Blowing championship opposition away with nice football still resulted in relegation without much of a fight the last two times we went up.

We’re currently second without really looking very good. Manager gets a few of ‘his’ players in January and the summer and we might stand more chance of finishing 17th in the prem by picking up these “unconvincing” scrappy results than we did with Farke.

While we’re in and around the top two you can’t really grumble surely.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Do you think Onel would still be here? He for one seems to be far more enjoying life.  

Smith has given chances to several youngsters, Gibbs, Rowe, Springett, Tomkinson so I doubt they feel that they have gone backwards. Todd was going nowhere fast under Farke. There’s plenty who are faring better.

The youngsters were still in the junior squads so that’s not really comparable. Of the four you’ve mentioned, only one is currently used in the first team and that’s because he has ‘come of age’ to play at senior level - so not really an argument.
Onel still has bags of pace but no end product - no change. 
Todd was going nowhere fast under Farke - is going nowhere fast under Smith.
Want to grab another handful of straws? 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I'd be disappointed if it meant the points he'd won went with him. 🙃

• Haha 1