Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

The fundamental issues with the team

35 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

A lot of this fragility,and it is mental,stems from having a captain,who,when we need some kind of fire put into the team,is totally lacking in the requirement to **** a team-mate when an obvious,not for the first time,mistake is made. There is no raised voice,no clenched fist,nothing!!An acceptance of ineptitude which at times is painful to watch. Tin hat on now,waiting for comeback,but Hanley is'nt the man I'd want leading my team.

I've said this myself on here before now but got ridiculed. So many times last year we'd let in a shocking goal and Hanley would just walk back to positon for kick off without geeing up, bawling out or encouraging his team mates. He just seems to focus on himself which is not a good look for a captain  imo.

A bad October and the tide turns. A good one and we are almost out of sight. I probably think we will have a 50/50 one and be no better or worse off. 

the trouble with us and where we are as of now in 2nd is that it’s be a PR disaster to do root and stem change. Smith will have to do and we will also have to hope he does enough, because an overhaul is needed but having £100 million to do it is needed just as much. The US takeover is our way out of the bog we are in but o feel it is conditional. Fail to go up and I believe Delia and Co stay at the helm, better players and others leave and the only thing that reforms is the quality and financial situation. Both for the worse. 

It’s a very risky time. The only question is are we better off or more likely to succeed with another man in charge? If yes then who is there available that would come? 

The balance of the front 6 is not right and we don’t have a midfielder capable of sitting deep to screen the defence and also to pick the ball up from the centre backs and carry it forward.

Because neither CM was able to show for the ball today when being pressed (or when Kenny did he often gave it away in dangerous areas) AO ended up passing wide to Max every single time which became predictable. Also lack of genuine pace out wide in the starting line up meant we had to cut inside and go sideways a lot. 

Sara looked “ok” but not an £8m player. For me we need either Dowell or Todd behind Pukki to provide some extra craft and ball retention. 

Don’t get why Ramsey seems to be the favoured one of the attacking mids. 

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Let’s put aside for a moment the manager thing….

we have fundamental issues, physical and psychological, in this team and they aren’t being addressed.

the passing today. Wow. It just points to mental facility and poor decision making as a result.

teams get in our faces and just want it more a lot of the time.

it seems that a half decent side can hurt us with a half decent pursuit of our danger players and just watch us beat ourselves.

we don’t have a fundamental footballing ideology and we don’t have players on the pitch to reset that ideology and play the way we need to when we are under pressure.

the whole thing looks rushed, fragile and shambolic. We’ve been papering over severe issues with the club and will continue to.

We are far too slow and ponderous.

People point to being a possession based team,playing from the back, inviting the press to play around them and in the space left, but that was Farkes style not this.

Now we still have lots of possession ( I think it was 68% at half time with more shots more corners which shows stats can be misleading) but only because we don't know what to do with the ball.

The first touch is often poor, decision making is poor, Aarons must have lingered on the ball 3 or 4 times in the first half letting WBA block his intended pass or clearance. 

We just need to increase intensity,pace,energy from minute 1.

Something is wrong when Hernandez is our regular go to when we need pace and attacking intent, 

• Thanks 1

This is just a stream of posts criticising Smith.  I was fully in that camp after our first three games but since then we have gone 7 unbeaten with six victories..  We have a poor squad particularly in defence and midfield however some on here are lauding the squad.  Today was a prime example of the shortcomings of the squad Smith has inherited, poor passing, defensive errors and not providing service to our competent strikeforce.  Smith didn't send them out to be as timid as they were in the first half.  But quickly rectified the situation with the introduction of Hernandez when we looked to try to get behind Albion, but no praise expected there.

What is of little succour to the Buh brigade is Smith will not be going anywhere soon.  So suck it up.  Ramsey was the best player out there today, couple of misplaced passes notwirthstanding, he tried to get into promising positions, unlike our South Americans who could be expected to be the flair option.

Just now, pete said:

This is just a stream of posts criticising Smith.  I was fully in that camp after our first three games but since then we have gone 7 unbeaten with six victories..  We have a poor squad particularly in defence and midfield however some on here are lauding the squad.  Today was a prime example of the shortcomings of the squad Smith has inherited, poor passing, defensive errors and not providing service to our competent strikeforce.  Smith didn't send them out to be as timid as they were in the first half.  But quickly rectified the situation with the introduction of Hernandez when we looked to try to get behind Albion, but no praise expected there.

What is of little succour to the Buh brigade is Smith will not be going anywhere soon.  So suck it up.  Ramsey was the best player out there today, couple of misplaced passes notwirthstanding, he tried to get into promising positions, unlike our South Americans who could be expected to be the flair option.

Suck it up

lol

Low standards, not questioning things

you sound like a mug mate

which is ironically is how this started, mugs.

Fundamental problems are that Sargent and Pukki in a 4-3-3 doesn't work, our only natural winger is on the bench, we have a right footed left back, our midfield lacks creativity and isn't that good at pressing the opposition.

Luckily this league is so poor that these deficiencies will be immaterial against most teams.

• Like 1

we have fundamental issues, physical and psychological, in this team and they aren’t being addressed.

the passing today. Wow. It just points to mental facility and poor decision making as a result.

it seems that a half decent side can hurt us with a half decent pursuit of our danger players and just watch us beat ourselves.

we don’t have a fundamental footballing ideology and we don’t have players on the pitch to reset that ideology and play the way we need to when we are under pressure.

the whole thing looks rushed, fragile and shambolic. We’ve been papering over severe issues with the club and will continue to.

We spent quite a lot of money on bang average players. After two recent promotions to the PL and all the millions that go with it, we have probably only 3 PL quality players and 2 of them (pukki and Aarons) have been here for a while. We haven't added any proper quality in about 4 years. 

• Like 2

I’d happily take a manager that is actually driving us in a positive direction with a real ideology and who isn’t as successful at this moment in time.

Yes. Down with this sort of thing. We need a manager with less ambition....or is that the board ? Today saw more inept refereeing. By fault, or design, it is hard to tell. Has the FA given instructions, whereby blatant time wasting is permissible ? Where it is OK for a defender to constantly shove Sargeant at a corner, but a foul when he pushes back ? And it is impossible not to speculate where, but for a few goals, we might be. Comfortably mid-table, stagnating alongside other ex PL clubs. Or even safely out of harms way, in the bottom three.

Bemused, have started to wonder about team spirit, and a throwaway remark by Smith post match regarding the international break puzzled me. 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I've said this myself on here before now but got ridiculed. So many times last year we'd let in a shocking goal and Hanley would just walk back to positon for kick off without geeing up, bawling out or encouraging his team mates. He just seems to focus on himself which is not a good look for a captain  imo.

Totally agree.  Should he ever actually play for us, do well and sign permanently, everything I've seen about Hayden - notably a couple of interviews in The Athletic - suggests he would make an excellent captain longer term.  In the meantime, there really aren't many other options.  Krul would be the only real alternative but I never like a keeper as Captain.

• Thanks 1

Not sure you can entirely blame Smith for the current situation, as he's inherited a mostly Webber recruited team. With the right players Smith has shown he is capable of doing a job ( i.e. he engineered a 7-2 destruction of Liverpool in his Villa days). Looking at the championship recruitment only, I believe the stylist team from our 2018-19 season Farke had a major influence in recruitment as a lot of the players from that season were from the German 2nd tier - where Farke came from. Recruitment for Championship season 2020-21 did not have Farke's brand on it - I was very disappointed with the quality of the incoming players such as Hugill, Dowell, Gibson - low quality players I wouldn't touch with a  "barge pole". These players are definitely not Farke picks - they are recruitment & Webber picks. All the Germans and good players have since left (with the exception of Pukki) and Smith has inherited players and those from our previous PL campaign. Smith plays a more direct style but are given "lightweights" to do the job. From yesterdays game not only were we missing a DCM but almost man for man WBA won every individual battle on the pitch. When Erik Pieters became available - why didn't we get him ? If our recruitment was any good - we should have been in there like a shot - yeah he's 38 but you have to look at the quality of player ! Krul's his mate as well so that could've been the difference ! WBA snapped him up and he performed well against us. 

McLean is getting a lot of stick but with so many lightweights around him he is under pressure to do more - create as well as hold - as a result giving the ball away. 

We have won 6 on the trot and people are getting all excited. One solid opponent and we are undone !  This will test Smith's ability  to improvise with the players he got. We have Burnley, Sheffield United & Watford all away in October - this will define if he's any good !

19 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

We are far too slow and ponderous.

People point to being a possession based team,playing from the back, inviting the press to play around them and in the space left, but that was Farkes style not this.

Now we still have lots of possession ( I think it was 68% at half time with more shots more corners which shows stats can be misleading) but only because we don't know what to do with the ball.

The first touch is often poor, decision making is poor, Aarons must have lingered on the ball 3 or 4 times in the first half letting WBA block his intended pass or clearance. 

We just need to increase intensity,pace,energy from minute 1.

Something is wrong when Hernandez is our regular go to when we need pace and attacking intent, 

I'm not sure we know what our style is.i certainly don't.

It's obviously not Farkeball yet we still play out from the back constantly without getting anywhere.

Krul rarely looks for a quick throw or pass out and slows play down.

Aarons usually has to pass back or delays too long when he gets the ball (probably due to lack of movement ahead of him)before being blocked by an opposition player

We still have no CDM to replace Tettey which is criminal, choosing to rely on an injury risk and an untried youngster

A gaping hole in central midfield fir a Bradley Johnson or Stieperman type

Little threat out wide, so much so that Hernandez is still our goto man for pace and threat.

And the whole team are so slow, I can't remember the last time i saw someone sprinting off the ball into space begging for a pass, it's all just jogging and dropping deep like cantwell 

It's like when you're seeing a lady (or gent) who is reasonably fit and the sex is (usually/sometimes) good but you just know that they're not a keeper and you are both wasting your time.