Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

The fundamental issues with the team

Let’s put aside for a moment the manager thing….

we have fundamental issues, physical and psychological, in this team and they aren’t being addressed.

the passing today. Wow. It just points to mental facility and poor decision making as a result.

teams get in our faces and just want it more a lot of the time.

it seems that a half decent side can hurt us with a half decent pursuit of our danger players and just watch us beat ourselves.

we don’t have a fundamental footballing ideology and we don’t have players on the pitch to reset that ideology and play the way we need to when we are under pressure.

the whole thing looks rushed, fragile and shambolic. We’ve been papering over severe issues with the club and will continue to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Let’s put aside for a moment the manager thing….

we have fundamental issues, physical and psychological, in this team and they aren’t being addressed.

the passing today. Wow. It just points to mental facility and poor decision making as a result.

teams get in our faces and just want it more a lot of the time.

it seems that a half decent side can hurt us with a half decent pursuit of our danger players and just watch us beat ourselves.

we don’t have a fundamental footballing ideology and we don’t have players on the pitch to reset that ideology and play the way we need to when we are under pressure.

the whole thing looks rushed, fragile and shambolic. We’ve been papering over severe issues with the club and will continue to.

What are the severe issues you mention purely out of interest?

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

What are the severe issues you mention purely out of interest?

We are incredibly mentally fragile. Any slight situation against us and we panic. Then passing today was diabolical.

we don’t have a footballing ideology. In MY OPINION we don’t have someone driving that ideology from the top. It’s just “throw it at the wall and see what sticks”

2 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

The tactics and Smith, that's half the problem.

We aren’t allowed to talk about that.

McClean?

Only sort of joking, what we really need is that tough tackling, no nonsense defensive midfielder. 
a player who can get in the oppositions faces, win the ball and free up all our creative players.

Put that kind of central pivot in the team and we should be promoted again as this is a poor championship. Although sadly I think the squad is nowhere near good enough to survive yet again.

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

McClean?

Only sort of joking, what we really need is that tough tackling, no nonsense defensive midfielder. 
a player who can get in the oppositions faces, win the ball and free up all our creative players.

Put that kind of central pivot in the team and we should be promoted again as this is a poor championship. Although sadly I think the squad is nowhere near good enough to survive yet again.

McClean feels like England a few years ago when they’d put James Milner in and everyone would want to die

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

We are incredibly mentally fragile. Any slight situation against us and we panic. Then passing today was diabolical.

we don’t have a footballing ideology. In MY OPINION we don’t have someone driving that ideology from the top. It’s just “throw it at the wall and see what sticks”

Mate, that’s like my dating ideology. And it works out.. in the end… 😁

Joking aside i appreciate what you’re saying about on-pitch but fundamentally the club itself is in a good place. 

Im also of the mindset that Smith is still working it out. The Prem side I discount as it wasn’t his team. And Farke had a whole season in the Champ to formulate his side.

We’re unbeaten in 7 and still second. Our true problem is, as fans, we’ve become too expectant. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

McClean?

The trouble is, even if Hayden is that no nonsense defensive midfielder, you know he'll partner him with McLean and it won't work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Danke bitte said:

Mate, that’s like my dating ideology. And it works out.. in the end… 😁

Joking aside i appreciate what you’re saying about on-pitch but fundamentally the club itself is in a good place. 

Im also of the mindset that Smith is still working it out. The Prem side I discount as it wasn’t his team. And Farke had a whole season in the Champ to formulate his side.

We’re unbeaten in 7 and still second. Our true problem is, as fans, we’ve become too expectant. 

The fanbase is tired. They’ve had enough of this constant up and down. The atmosphere at the ground is just plain odd right now. 

I’d happily take a manager that is actually driving us in a positive direction with a real ideology and who isn’t as successful at this moment in time. It doesn’t feel we are doing that right now. Feels rudderless.

out of interest, when will it be “his team”? Have we got to go full Nottingham Forest and buy x2 new teams worth of players.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The fanbase is tired. They’ve had enough of this constant up and down. The atmosphere at the ground is just plain odd right now. 

I’d happily take a manager that is actually driving us in a positive direction with a real ideology and who isn’t as successful at this moment in time. It doesn’t feel we are doing that right now. Feels rudderless.

out of interest, when will it be “his team”? Have we got to go full Nottingham Forest and buy x2 new teams worth of players.

No idea. But all I can say is I think we’ve become, as a fan base, too familiar with the idea of smashing this league. Smith still has a bunch of players that are left over from the Farke era, an era of possession based idealism that failed in the Prem. 

I still don’t know what to make of Smith, I don’t think he’s clicked, but I see what he’s trying to do with the resources in front of him. If we were a richer club then Smith would have bought “his” team by now but because we’re Norwich he has to work with what he’s got with a little investment, shopping in a post Brexit transfer market. No meant feat.

I know your style of forum posting is sensationalist and appreciate your fervent NCFC support but to state we have severe issues with the club and how we’re moving forward is a bit premature right now, especially when we sit second. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danke bitte said:

No idea. But all I can say is I think we’ve become, as a fan base, too familiar with the idea of smashing this league. Smith still has a bunch of players that are left over from the Farke era, an era of possession based idealism that failed in the Prem. 

I still don’t know what to make of Smith, I don’t think he’s clicked, but I see what he’s trying to do with the resources in front of him. If we were a richer club then Smith would have bought “his” team by now but because we’re Norwich he has to work with what he’s got with a little investment, shopping in a post Brexit transfer market. No meant feat.

I know your style of forum posting is sensationalist and appreciate your fervent NCFC support but to state we have severe issues with the club and how we’re moving forward is a bit premature right now, especially when we sit second. 

What is it that you see? I'm beggared if I can see a style or tactic.

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

When we started to collapse at time today, the flapping at the back and the crazy long balls to nobody, it was just like we were a lot the end of last season. Rabbits in the headlights. 

we aren’t evolving as a team, we aren’t fundamentally changing

The definition of madness is trying the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome. We aren’t creating a new philosophy or methodology.

we’re just putting out on paper “best players” out there in a rough formation and hoping for the best.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

We aren’t allowed to talk about that.

Well that's the elephant in the room then.

It's up to the coaching staff to work on this, we have been AWOL for large portions of the last 3 games and our play has been dreadful.

They are being told to allow teams to come onto them so they can draw them out then they short pass and the other team regroup and we are back to square one.

The players and team are sound minus a few Injuries , they are just being told to play a certain way and it's not working.

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Well that's the elephant in the room then.

It's up to the coaching staff to work on this, we have been AWOL for large portions of the last 3 games and our play has been dreadful.

They are being told to allow teams to come onto them so they can draw them out then they short pass and the other team regroup and we are back to square one.

The players and team are sound minus a few Injuries , they are just being told to play a certain way and it's not working.

All talk of Dean Smith will not be tolerated im afraid

Just now, The Real Buh said:

All talk of Dean Smith will not be tolerated im afraid

Ok right...

We are doing great, loving the performances, smashing the league. Great point today in a game we dominated. Always looked like scoring today shame we only got a point.

Team is killing it, defence rock solid and we are creating so much I think some of our midfield will be hitting double figures on assists.

Kenny McLean will get the Barry cup this year.

Otbc 

• Like 1

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Ok right...

We are doing great, loving the performances, smashing the league. Great point today in a game we dominated. Always looked like scoring today shame we only got a point.

Team is killing it, defence rock solid and we are creating so much I think some of our midfield will be hitting double figures on assists.

Kenny McLean will get the Barry cup this year.

Otbc 

“I Would have taken a point before the game”

The club has been famine or feast for the last 4 years. Now when it is genuinely neither which I feel it is at the moment no one knows how to react.

Just got back, I'm normally pretty positive and have been supportive of Smith throughout his reign, but that was f***ing dreadful! You can talk all you want about players/tactics etc but fundamentally we weren't up for this today and it showed. Just shocking from start to finish. 

• Like 1

After last season, particularly how it ended in crushing embarrassing defeats, the club and the way it is run should have been ripped apart root and stem.

no courage from the people running things, no respect for the fans

1 hour ago, Keith Scott said:

Can't argue with that. But many on here will.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

That’s 2 posts in 2 days. Please go back into hibernation.

55 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

This is rubbish regarding Smiths team and Farkes team.
Webber didn't need telling by Smith that he needed a DM and a CM.and he certainly wasn't told who he wanted.The result was two South Americans that no one had heard of and a suspect injury prone player from the Prem who were found by our scouting team.
If Farke was still here we would probably have ended up with the same players.
Most,no, all managers have to work with the payers they inherit.This  managers 'team' business is complete crap

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

When we started to collapse at time today, the flapping at the back and the crazy long balls to nobody, it was just like we were a lot the end of last season. Rabbits in the headlights. 

The definition of madness is trying the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome. We aren’t creating a new philosophy or methodology.

we’re just putting out on paper “best players” out there in a rough formation and hoping for the best.

Tend to agree with this. Defence apart (and that's inherently down to lack of resources), I don't think Smith knows his best team or formation further up the pitch. Players seem to be playing all over the place leaving alarming holes for opposition teams to capitalise on. Sooner or later they will. We have three very tricky away games in October against clubs likely to finish in the top six.  A considerable improvement is required in order to return with any points.

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Tend to agree with this. Defence apart (and that's inherently down to lack of resources), I don't think Smith knows his best team or formation further up the pitch. Players seem to be playing all over the place leaving alarming holes for opposition teams to capitalise on. Sooner or later they will. We have three very tricky away games in October against clubs likely to finish in the top six.  A considerable improvement is required in order to return with any points.

The nest two matches away in October are against Blackpool and Reading. Can’t see either being in the top 6 but you never know. 

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Exactly. Relying on the fact that our squad is probably the best in the league.

But Smith has form for this. He did it when Villa got promotion.

I think another thing that is infuriating is that we have a missed a DMC since tettey left.

Why on earth have we not spent 5m taking a punt on some lower league young lads who we can train to play that role or whatever?

If we had done that 4 years ago we would be getting one or two hitting thier 20s and the first team by now.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The nest two matches away in October are against Blackpool and Reading. Can’t see either being in the top 6 but you never know. 

Indeed! Make that Watford, Sheff Utd and finishing off with Burnley - those will be a severe test based on todays performance.

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

A lot of this fragility,and it is mental,stems from having a captain,who,when we need some kind of fire put into the team,is totally lacking in the requirement to **** a team-mate when an obvious,not for the first time,mistake is made. There is no raised voice,no clenched fist,nothing!!An acceptance of ineptitude which at times is painful to watch. Tin hat on now,waiting for comeback,but Hanley is'nt the man I'd want leading my team.

• Like 1