unique

Gabriel Sara

I thought he looked “ok”. A reasonable all round midfielder. Useful for the squad. 

But I don’t see an £8m player there at all.

Said before the season he’ll be a flop at that price point. His highlight reel showed nothing special. The local Brazilian reporter was surprised we spent so much on him. Maybe it all clicks with Hayden.

Everyone was awful today. Everyone.

When we start moving the ball quickly through midfield, we might find out what Sara is like.

We were poor right through the midfield but what concerned me most is what we had to sacrifice to get him in the team. We lost Cantwell’s energy, which was desperately missed, and Ramsey is a shadow of himself playing wide. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Played it safe every chance he could with the short easy pass. not impressed so far as that suggests a lack of confidence or an unwillingness to try and fail which would be there if he knew he had an extra gear to go to take the game to them but reminded me of a few other players who have tried to go out and just not make a mistake on their first few games. Not impressed but it's too early to judge. 

A lack of confidence but he tried a shot that hit the bar where others wouldn`t??? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a metaphor, people can see nothings truly changed.

we needed change after last season

still stuck in the holding pattern

No, it's hyperbole.

16 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I thought he looked “ok”. A reasonable all round midfielder. Useful for the squad. 

But I don’t see an £8m player there at all.

Thing is what does £8m get you nowadays ?

he wasn’t great in open play . Dead balls he looked good on. 
Way too early to tell and let’s see after more games with players who are performing around him . Which yesterday they didn’t. 

22 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a metaphor, people can see nothings truly changed.

we needed change after last season

still stuck in the holding pattern

An apt summary of your posts.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2022 at 17:33, overthebordercanary said:

Took a decent corner, but unlike us west brom could defend them. 

My niece  is 24 stone and she can take a decent corner and she definitely would not cost 8 million 

Edited by daly

1 hour ago, daly said:

My niece  is 24 stone and she can take a decent corner and she definitely would not cost 8 million 

To quote Buh. Cool story Bro 

• Like 1

We STILL haven’t replaced Skipp or Tettey and that is killing our entire midfield. Sara will look tidy, I think, if he has a solid defensive midfielder sat behind him allowing him to do his flicks and tricks. Frankly it is astonishing - given how glaring the problem was last season- that we only signed a crocked Hayden. What was the point of that? 

• Like 2

Still early days with Sara who looks like he can knock the ball about but at the moment seems like another stereotypical Norwich midfielder thats technically good but a stroller thats not quick or strong in the tackle. Hopefully he has another gear in him? 

Edited by kingsway

I remember Iwan being roundly criticised for his first season at the club and then look what happened. Best we get behind the lad. Already shown more than last seasons recruits.

• Like 1

Its way too early to make a judgement on whether Sara is an £8m player or not.

When signing from overseas some players hit the round running immediately, like Nunez, some take time to settle in, like Vrancic.

I mean, he doesn't look like an £8m player yet, but lets see if he has a third and fourth gear. 

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We STILL haven’t replaced Skipp or Tettey and that is killing our entire midfield. 

We have, we signed Isaac Hayden. Unfortunately we did that Webber thing of getting a player on the cheap because they are crocked or injury prone, which is just ludicrous when we've got no other defensive midfielders.

If he can get himself fit though, he's the DM that we need. 

Great shot that hit the bar, good set piece delivery, struggled to get into the game as we were overrun in midfield. 

m certainly can’t write him off. 

he needs a run of 5/6 games to settle in, that’s his first start for god knows how long as he’s been injured. 

look at idah once he had a run of games and not 20 mins here and there. 

stay patient. He will come good. 

1 hour ago, CUSDP said:

Great shot that hit the bar, good set piece delivery, struggled to get into the game as we were overrun in midfield. 

m certainly can’t write him off. 

he needs a run of 5/6 games to settle in, that’s his first start for god knows how long as he’s been injured. 

look at idah once he had a run of games and not 20 mins here and there. 

stay patient. He will come good. 

Wrong.

GabrielSara started and finished the Cup game against Bournemouth on August 23rd.

Sara got some game-time against Huddersfield eight matches ago.

Much of the time since then has been spent picking splinters out of his backside.

What has Dean Smith seen on the training ground that has meant a £10m player start just two games in a somewhat struggling midfield?

If he has been good enough to sit on the bench, then injury is not a justifiable reason for his lack of appearances.

Anyone drawing conclusions after one league start is probably forgetting the same judgements they made on plenty of other players that they've got wrong..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Anyone drawing conclusions after one league start is probably forgetting the same judgements they made on plenty of other players that they've got wrong..

Yep.

Returning from injury, first start in the league, in a game we struggled and in a midfield lacking a proper 'holder' and some are writing him off already?

Yep can only echo the two preceding posts, far too early to judge. Give the bloke time.

As for the teams balance especially in midfield, I acknowledge the risk with signing Hayden but I'd imagine his setback in pre season wasn't expected, nor were the injuries for Gibbs and Sorenson who would be covering if fit. Nor having noth left backs out for a considerable time.

Taking all that into consideration 19 points from 21 is pretty good.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2