unique

Gabriel Sara

He was very poor today. There's definitely a player in there, but as an 8 in a 4-3-3, he looked totally lost. Ultimately I'd like to see him at number 10. But back to the bench until he gets up to speed. 

Definitely seems to struggle with the pace of the game over here - which was the main concern raised by those that watched him in Brazil.

Far too early to write him off, but I think today was a glimpse of why Deano has had him on the bench recently.

11 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Today was his first league start for us. 

I'd like to think any fair-minded person would allow him at least a few games before fueling up his return flight to Brazil.

OTBC

lol that cuts out most pinkun posters then…

• Haha 8

When we were on top of Bristol 2nd half there were some brilliant little flicks and tricks. Today all our midfield play was totally pedestrian and I don't think that suited him at all. Definitely too early to judge.

Looked like he was just running around. No contribution whatsoever.

Fair enough, he gets time to adjust but then that is unfair on the person he replaced.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why not both?

Because one is saying it's too early to tell if he is wasted money and the other is saying he is wasted money.

I've not been impressed so far, but it's got to be too early to tell. Let's give the lad a chance.

• Like 1

Played it safe every chance he could with the short easy pass. not impressed so far as that suggests a lack of confidence or an unwillingness to try and fail which would be there if he knew he had an extra gear to go to take the game to them but reminded me of a few other players who have tried to go out and just not make a mistake on their first few games. Not impressed but it's too early to judge. 

If that was Nunez's first game, we'd be questioning why we paid £3m for him too. As said above, everyone was bad today. The only positives were the blocks (by numerous players) made in the 2nd half which gave us a point.

Think he will be fine.

It is hard to adjust to a new country and to the pace of the English game. Ideally he would play with experienced midfielders whilst getting up to speed but he's playing with Nunez and Ramsey who are also unused to pace of the championship and need the sane bedding in time.

In fact, even with Gibbs and Hayden back McLean is the only midfielder with good recent champs Experience!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Looked like he was just running around. No contribution whatsoever.

Fair enough, he gets time to adjust but then that is unfair on the person he replaced.

Exactly as I saw it. Either he was deliberately given a free role or else he had no idea of the position he should be taking up. At times he played wide left (clearly not his best position), then he would be down the middle just behind Pukki and other times he ended up wide right particularly first half. I sit half way back in Block K and right on the halfway line. What concerned me was that on at least two occasions right in front of us his first touch and close control were dreadful. For my club record fee I would be wanting a hell of a lot more. That said, he takes a great corner and his first time shot against the bar was pure quality.  Needs time and minutes on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Anyone say it was?  But it 100% wasn’t ‘a total collapse’.  That is the point.

It’s a metaphor, people can see nothings truly changed.

we needed change after last season

still stuck in the holding pattern

• Haha 1

Anyway, re Sara I guess we have to give him a bit of leeway - when he joined he’d not kicked a ball since April, so is obviously playing catch-up.   One problem for him is the comparison with Nunez, but he came from Chile’s mid-season and that has helped him do well (though seems to have a penchant for giving daft free kicks away).

30 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Exactly as I saw it. Either he was deliberately given a free role or else he had no idea of the position he should be taking up. At times he played wide left (clearly not his best position), then he would be down the middle just behind Pukki and other times he ended up wide right particularly first half. I sit half way back in Block K and right on the halfway line. What concerned me was that on at least two occasions right in front of us his first touch and close control were dreadful. For my club record fee I would be wanting a hell of a lot more. That said, he takes a great corner and his first time shot against the bar was pure quality.  Needs time and minutes on the pitch.

But that's the problem. All the midfield seem to have a free role. It's as if at the team talk, the midfielders ask 'what's my role today, gaffer?' and he replies 'Whatever.'

I guess you could call it flexibility. Some might call it chaos.

• Like 2

I’m yet to be at all convinced, even in his sub appearance last game I didn’t really think he did better than ‘okay’ - I saw plenty of praise on here but just didn’t feel it personally! Of course he deserves a large pinch of salt given his injury circumstances but I’d still expect to have seen a little more by now.

Nunez absolutely crashed into the first team, bouncing from regular first team football in South America to the championship in the space of a week. I’m sure we could be talking about Sara differently now if he’d had that same luxury. I just worry how badly a total loss of form / momentum / confidence may affect him longer term here. He looked totally lost today IMO.

With Hayden and Gibbs still to come back I could see him struggling for game time if he can’t assert himself in the team over the next few weeks. 

I did not see the need to rush in making Sara a 'starter.' We were winning games, Cantwell was doing a decent job and would certainly have added more of a spark to today's performance, while Sara must have been under some pressure to turn it on in front of the home support.  

I consider it a selection mistake. There had been little problem bringing the Brazilian on for the last twenty up to today and putting him into the eleven, with no obvious role, for this game, seemingly because of the price tag, made no particular sense unless he had  impressed a hell of a lot in training. 

As it was, he was the first substituted ... and that couldn't have been good for the confidence bit.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Wasn’t stellar, was it.

Lacklustre then. Faltering. Not a collapse.