Herman

Lapps Match Thread without Chicken

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Dramatic nonsense, we’re 2nd top not 2nd bottom. It was crap today but let’s be rational. 

Agreed and Ramsey was one of the better players on the pitch today.

Come on, Hoggy, tell us how lucky we are to have Dean Smith. Tell us how he turned Brentford into the Barcelona of the Championship.

The reality is that he has not moved us forward one centimetre since he arrived almost a year ago.

My only concern, is midfield. And it's down to recruitment again.

Sara is not a holding midfielder, neither is Nunez. Although both, specifically the latter have bags of talent. We needed two strong holding midfielders, but ended up with one who's crocked, and Kenny Mclean, again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

My only concern, is midfield. And it's down to recruitment again.

Sara is not a holding midfielder, neither is Nunez. Although both, specifically the latter have bags of talent. We needed two strong holding midfielders, but ended up with one who's crocked, and Kenny Mclean, again. 

You would imagine Hayden will solve our issuess.. If hes ever let out the hospital wing

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People crying over the fact Dean Smith has us 7 unbeaten, 6 wins in a row, picking up points and changing games with his subs even when we arent playing well. It's the best feeling ever. Is there a way of injecting their tears into my veins??

Most sensible people realise that as the season progresses performance levels will need to increase massively to continue picking up the points required for promotion. What we’ve seen so far won’t have us in the top 2 at the end 

Edited by Virtual reality

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Most sensible people realise that as the season progresses performance levels will need to increase massively to continue picking up the points required for promotion. 

In which case, the same applies to the rest of the division below us.

Just now, hogesar said:

In which case, the same applies to the rest of the division below us.

I’ve no idea what those teams levels of performance are, I’ve not watched them but what I’ve seen of us, we don’t look like a team that should be troubling the top 2. Maybe the quality of this league is just that bad 

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes. Someone like Farke. Though that quite a narrow pool, I'd have settled for picking from the better than Smith pool, which is considerably larger. 

I don't recall starting better under Farke though?

Changing the subject slightly, is anyone else getting irritated how easily Hanley goes down? Yes I know it's the modern way blah blah blah. 

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

I’ve no idea what those teams levels of performance are, I’ve not watched them but what I’ve seen of us, we don’t look like a team that should be troubling the top 2. Maybe the quality of this league is just that bad 

Well you can't have it both ways. With the performance level of every team at its current state, we are second in the table.

Thus, if you say we have to improve our performance levels to maintain that, then so must the rest of the league. There is no alternate warped view even if you want to paint one.

Right. After our first 2 wins I nailed my Smith backing colours to the wall. This is STILL the case but it’s clinging on by it’s fingernails. 
In his defence: injuries to key positions are killing us. LB and especially DM mean we play with one hand behind our back until that is resolved. He has also been unbeaten for this period. There is also the fact that teams are largely playing very difficult football to beat. Today the first goal destroyed our chances and ten men behind the ball is tedious week in and out. I see away games as our opportunity to win going forward. 
To counterpoint this: performances where I saw green shoots have not moved forward and I have not really ‘enjoyed’ a game recently. I enjoy the results plenty, but the last two games especially have been horrible football. I think we will stroll into playoff places which at seasons start I’d have taken, but having seen the opposition standard I think this would actually be a poor return from this squad. 

I think October holds the answer to whether we go up or don’t (automatically). I genuinely think a good one and it’s done and vice versa. I’m not going to revoke my support of Smith just yet, as I said he has defence but I think beyond this season regardless of what happens I’ve seen enough that I hope we part ways at seasons end. 

It’s fence leaning rather than sitting, I know Buh will disagree, but backing him still feels the right stance from my POV. I am optimistically clinging in to a system that clicks once a DM comes in. I may be delusional. 

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I don't recall starting better under Farke though?

Thats irrelevant. They MUST cry about Farke for at least another season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Smith livng on pure 'I want to prove buh wrong' energy

Dean Smith/the whole pinkun

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean 08-09 was pretty dire but the season after made up for it so.

The team on the opening day of that season was pretty dire 😃

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Come on, Hoggy, tell us how lucky we are to have Dean Smith. Tell us how he turned Brentford into the Barcelona of the Championship.

The reality is that he has not moved us forward one centimetre since he arrived almost a year ago.

No idea what you're on about. His remit is to get us promoted this season with a squad that contains players who have been relegated twice and might be mentally fragile. So far he is delivering on that.

Why don't you tell me all about the awful hoofball we were going to play all season??

29 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm almost certain that had Smith been out in the summer and replaced with someone else we'd have even more of those points on the board.

Just now, Mengo said:

Help me out here. I'm normally quite good at spotting humour, even failed attempts at it. But I'm at a loss here. What was the angle you were going for?

1 minute ago, raunds canary said:

Are we really 2nd in the league and 7 unbeaten ??

Yep. Amazing isn't it. But 👍 good, onwards and upwards. 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Help me out here. I'm normally quite good at spotting humour, even failed attempts at it. But I'm at a loss here. What was the angle you were going for?

Sorry only you can help yourself out

10 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Right. After our first 2 wins I nailed my Smith backing colours to the wall. This is STILL the case but it’s clinging on by it’s fingernails. 
In his defence: injuries to key positions are killing us. LB and especially DM mean we play with one hand behind our back until that is resolved. He has also been unbeaten for this period. There is also the fact that teams are largely playing very difficult football to beat. Today the first goal destroyed our chances and ten men behind the ball is tedious week in and out. I see away games as our opportunity to win going forward. 
To counterpoint this: performances where I saw green shoots have not moved forward and I have not really ‘enjoyed’ a game recently. I enjoy the results plenty, but the last two games especially have been horrible football. I think we will stroll into playoff places which at seasons start I’d have taken, but having seen the opposition standard I think this would actually be a poor return from this squad. 

I think October holds the answer to whether we go up or don’t (automatically). I genuinely think a good one and it’s done and vice versa. I’m not going to revoke my support of Smith just yet, as I said he has defence but I think beyond this season regardless of what happens I’ve seen enough that I hope we part ways at seasons end. 

It’s fence leaning rather than sitting, I know Buh will disagree, but backing him still feels the right stance from my POV. I am optimistically clinging in to a system that clicks once a DM comes in. I may be delusional. 

Why would you care what I think 😂

I take one game at a time. And today was dire. We cannot keep allowing our midfield, lightweight as it is, be overrun by the opposition purely on numbers. Its not fair on the three having to do the work of four.

Nunez looks like he can do something but he is chasing around too much when we have lost the ball. Kenny as we know is out of position. And Ramsey is a 19 year old having too much responsibility in the middle.

Onel comes on as an impact. Why not make an impact from the start? Todd gets dropped for no other reason than something Deano knows. Teemu gets hardly a decent ball and Sarge is stuck out wide when he has shown ability in the air.

And yet we are not losing and second in the table. Teams fear us and opposition fans see us as one of the big games.

Funny ol' game Saint.

If you can’t win, don’t lose and that is what we’ve  done. Unfortunately for some of our fans anything other than a win means the manager and team are utter cr@p. Every point counts and after our first three games some of us are delighted to be second with 20 points after ten games.

• Like 3

Just now, Crafty Canary said:

If you can’t win, don’t lose and that is what we’ve  done. Unfortunately for some of our fans anything other than a win means the manager and team are utter cr@p. Every point counts and after our first three games some of us are delighted to be second with 20 points after ten games.

Just watch the football. Was it good? What is our style? What are the tactics?