Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Cantwell left out!

I probably agree with this change, but I suspect that Ramsey will get an indulgence that no other player will get because he is Smith's little golden Villa boy.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I probably agree with this change, but I suspect that Ramsey will get an indulgence that no other player will get because he is Smith's little golden Villa boy.

He has 3 assists to his name, Pukki right now would rather be playing in front of Ramsay than Cantwell.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

No surprise.

Cantwell wasn't his old self against Bristol.

Agreed, he had a good game 😏

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He has 3 assists to his name, Pukki right now would rather be playing in front of Ramsay than Cantwell.

How do you know who Pukki would prefer to be playing in front of?

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Because its common sense, sorry that you lack it.

Exactly. Ramsey has created goals this season, Cantwell has been decent but hasn't done that.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

How do you know who Pukki would prefer to be playing in front of?

I doubt it was a literal "I know Pukki prefers Ramsay" rather a "Strikers will prefer playing in front of midfielders who are setting goals up". How is that a surprise?

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Sinani's assists and goals total is at least equal to Ramsey's. One bad game and he's out. The same won't apply to Golden Boy, though. 

How do you know he is Smiths Golden Boy? (The question works both ways - but this time is more justified).

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. Ramsey has created goals this season, Cantwell has been decent but hasn't done that.

Because Cantwell has been trying to build from the back whereas Ramsey is allowed the luxury of not having defensive duties.

• Like 1

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Because Cantwell has been trying to build from the back whereas Ramsey is allowed the luxury of not having defensive duties.

Tactics ( six in a row).

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He's in love with Ramsey.

Does his wife realise this?😃

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Tactics ( six in a row).

Yep. Smith proving people wrong game by game. 😀

Just now, hogesar said:

Yep. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Cantwell could do what Ramsey is doing if he was given that role. So could Nunez or Dowell. Do very little every game except make one assist.

Yeah just that little thing of creating a goal. No biggy 😅😅😅

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was brought here to do what Farke couldnt, no proving wrong until we've had a successful season in the Premier. He's doing the right things currently though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Cantwell could do what Ramsey is doing if he was given that role. So could Nunez or Dowell. Do very little every game except make one assist.

Literally does his job then.

Cantwell can feel a bit hard done by as he put in a good shift and worked hard, but big squad and will be lots of rotation this season.

Also, they are both effectively not our players at the end of the season, so can't use the old 'developing somebodies elses players and not our own' argument, unless Cantwell pens a new deal in which case that argument might have some validity.

He seems to have matured and stopped being a donut on social media, but I question whether there would even be an offer on the table now, suspect he'll have to keep working hard to earn the forgiveness of Webber - he's slowly winning the fans over, but its difficult to completely get over how much he zoned out of all things Norwich City last season, I could understand if the club were a bit reluctant to tie him down for 3 years out of fear he'll do it again.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You're not stupid, Hogesar, so I don't believe that you can be happy with the performances over the last six games, even if they did bring us victories. In the PL we would almost certainly have lost all six. I know we're not in the PL, so this is moot, but can you really, hand on heart, say that you think our midfield is significantly better than it was last season?

• Thanks 1

Ramsey has the legs that Todd doesn't. He's look good in his reimagined role as a central midfielder but he's rather got the Vrancic issue that he just isn't that athletic.

Particularly with right-footed Byram at LB, we need a bit more meat on that side than earlier in the week. It got boring seeing Sykes receive the ball in 30 yards of space and WBA have a number of dangerous wide men. Not so much a criticism of Todd, its just not his game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

On the bench but Ramsey starting! Extraordinary. 

On the plus side a first start for Sara

Not really extrordinary is it, pretty much a margin call between two evenly matched players. Cantwell was lively but ineffective midweek, Ramsey got an assist while looking more dangerous. Neither can do what McLean will be asked to do.

• Like 2

Seems a strange decision. Cantwell has been playing well and had a decent game against Bristol City. I'm happy to see Sara start but, if anything, thought Nunez was the weakest link in midfield. 

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

You're not stupid, Hogesar, so I don't believe that you can be happy with the performances over the last six games, even if they did bring us victories. In the PL we would almost certainly have lost all six. I know we're not in the PL, so this is moot, but can you really, hand on heart, say that you think our midfield is significantly better than it was last season?

No our midfield isn't any better because they're all out injured. And with no recognised left back, we've still won 6 in a row under Smith.