Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Roger Munby RIP

I have just heard the news. What a lovely man who i worked with on the SCG for a number of years. He suffered with his health over a number of years since he stood down as Chairman.

RIP Roger.

Indeed had the pleasure of meeting him at an event once, very nice guy. RIP.

I knew Roger quite well for a while. He was a lovely bloke and a joy to spend time with.. forget your moans and groans.. I mourn the passing of a true NCFC servant.

❤

Roger and I were best mates for a number of years and we attended matches together for many seasons.  More recently (the last three years) his presence at Carrow Road became less frequent due to his worsening health, he suffered from Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and emphysema, the later requiring a portable oxygen cylinder.

As some have alluded to, he was an erudite raconteur who could entertain at the drop of a hat and was an immensely respected marketeer,  It was this expertise that he brought to the club, initially as a Director and then as Chairman for seven years.  Among his many achievements as Chairman were the introduction of the family enclosure (the first in the country I believe) and increasing season ticket sales from circa 13,000 to the current level of 21,500, this was achieved thanks to a tremendous amount of dedication and hard work, and were undertaken alongside his ‘day job’.  I worked with Roger on a number of business projects and saw his skill and expertise at first hand and it was an absolute pleasure to behold.

Roger had many passions, from his model railway, through to his cars, however Norwich City FC and the fans were top of the list, so much so that despite his ailments and mobility issues we would meet for lunch every Thursday at a well-known hostelry and for two hours or so we chewed the fat over all things football and Norwich City, interspersed with numerous hilarious stories he would tell involving past players and managers,

Roger spent the last week in hospital, the only excuse I would accept for him missing our Thursday lunch, and passed away peacefully at 5.55am this morning and I know he would have appreciated the recognition shown to him at the match today.

I’m going to miss you my dear friend, rest in peace.

Ray

PS) I make no apology for posting this on both threads

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4