Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

More American investment

Am I the only one who is wary (and weary) of American investment into our national game.

How long before some of the American 'time outs', defensive and attacking teams, waits for advertising and an increase to the number of subs (oh, sorry we've already got that one) are implemented?

• Thanks 1

I agree. Americans are interested in making money. That's it. 

The current exchange rate will just encourage them even more. 

I'd make that seven American owners, if they complete the Bournemouth takeover, which would include United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leeds and partly Arsenal and Villa.

I'm conscious that any changes to the PL requires 14 votes. 

There are five British owners so, with the probably incorrect assumption that only the British have the league's/fans' best interests at heart, the PL is potentially at the mercy of a selection of dodgy international businessmen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'd make that seven American owners, if they complete the Bournemouth takeover, which would include United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leeds and partly Arsenal and Villa.

I'm conscious that any changes to the PL requires 14 votes. 

There are five British owners so, with the probably incorrect assumption that only the British have the league's/fans' best interests at heart, the PL is potentially at the mercy of a selection of dodgy international businessmen. 

I would argue that the Americans are probably the least dodgy business people out of all of the international owners! But that isn't to say they don't have their own best interests placed well above the "good of the game"...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ramrod said:

I agree. Americans are interested in making money. That's it. 

The current exchange rate will just encourage them even more. 

There are very few people that are not interested in making money...

A lot of people are worrying about the increased American investment in European football (Serie A has a similar 'issue', I think seven clubs are under American control now), but I have heard it said that (most of) the Americans investing actually enjoy the traditional European running of the sport as it's a refreshing change from what they're used to.

We'll see how it goes...

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

A lot of people are worrying about the increased American investment in European football (Serie A has a similar 'issue', I think seven clubs are under American control now), but I have heard it said that (most of) the Americans investing actually enjoy the traditional European running of the sport as it's a refreshing change from what they're used to.

We'll see how it goes...

Is Serie A making a comeback in terms of competitiveness? More competition for the Premier League would be welcome.

13 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Am I the only one who is wary (and weary) of American investment into our national game.

How long before some of the American 'time outs', defensive and attacking teams, waits for advertising and an increase to the number of subs (oh, sorry we've already got that one) are implemented?

They are investing in the sport, they aren't idiots. There would be no benefit to any investor into adding most of the things you've listed. Turning the game into a clone of the NFL won't help them make money.

Where I think there is a concern is around the idea of making the top level of football a closed shop. Promotion and relegation are the big threats to a teams ability to effectively make money, getting rid of those would likely appeal much more than adding a couple of time outs.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Where I think there is a concern is around the idea of making the top level of football a closed shop. Promotion and relegation are the big threats to a teams ability to effectively make money, getting rid of those would likely appeal much more than adding a couple of time outs.

I think this is a concern regardless and I've been expecting some resistance to three relegation places for a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Is Serie A making a comeback in terms of competitiveness? More competition for the Premier League would be welcome.

It depends what you mean by competitiveness.

In terms of competitiveness within itself, then most certainly. There's no dominant team right now, the title race is likely to be wide open again this season and any one of probably five teams could realistically mount a title challenge. It also outscores the Premier League on a regular basis now and was the highest scoring of Europe's big five leagues last season.

But in comparison to other leagues, it's not getting more competitive. The downside to the above is that it's the only one of Europe's top five leagues without a truly elite club right now, and their performance in Europe hasn't been great in the last few years.  Napoli are doing very well in Europe this season and Milan are doing OK, but the rest of them aren't having a great time of it. The financial disparity between the Premier League and everyone else is making the gap even bigger, unfortunately. 

It won't be long before they are all coming together to try and change the rules of our game. Saw recently the new Chelsea owner suggesting there should be relegation playoffs like the American game and North vs South All star matches just to increase revenue...

• Like 1