Sign in to follow this  
RugbyCanary

Team for WBA

Ramsey struggled on Wednesday, but still got an assist.

While Cantwell didn't really get involved.

I could see Sara and Hernandez coming in for both.

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unchanged just with Gibson in for Hanley.. Or stck Sargent up top in a two up top with Pukki with Hernandez and Cantwell on the wings.

Going unchanged would be suicidal in my view. We will get done down the flanks way too easily. 

Ramsey's hard to evaluate. Overall he seems to blow hot and cold within matches, but I think he has three assists already?

Cantwell's effort cannot be faulted this season, but he's huffed and puffed rather than delivered much.

Personally I'd like Sara to make the starting line-up, so we can begin to see what we got for 10m or however much it turns out to be.

I'm still worried about the lack of any shape in midfield. Everyone just seems free to do their own thing, but maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough to see the patterns.

Edited by canarybubbles

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Ramsey strikes me as a player that is going to be much more valuable against packed defences than in more open games like Wednesday night.

You're probably right. He doesn't seem to do much defensively and plays more like a forward (10) than a midfielder. He might be a luxury we can't afford against teams who aren't happy just to sit back.

EDIT: And I don't want to sound churlish, but I want us to develop our own players, not turn him into a great player who goes back to Villa. We don't want a massive Skipp-sized hole if we get promoted. If we can do that using him sparingly, I think we should do so.

Edited by canarybubbles

Ramsey blows hot and cold as you'd expect from a player his age. We would be elated if Rowe had 3 assist in as many minutes.

That being said, none of Ramsey, Cantwell, Nunez or even much-loathed McLean were that bad- but I think Sara comes in for one of them tomorrow. Might well be Nunez as he made a few 'tired' errors 

12 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Ramsey blows hot and cold as you'd expect from a player his age. We would be elated if Rowe had 3 assist in as many minutes.

That being said, none of Ramsey, Cantwell, Nunez or even much-loathed McLean were that bad- but I think Sara comes in for one of them tomorrow. Might well be Nunez as he made a few 'tired' errors 

I wouldn't blame him too much for the error that led to the goal, though. Sinani should take most of the blame for that IMO. If you have the choice of hoofing the ball to safety, you do it. You don't give it to one of your own players facing his own goal in the penalty area, especially when you can see that there is a player behind him and he can't. The error was similar to Aarons hitting the ball against Omobamidele in a situation in an earlier game (I forget which), which also led to our conceding a goal. These errors are basic and we shouldn't be making them.

Iike to see Sara start.

There's alot for not changing a winning team but to me sometimes the players seem to relax too much and become lazy/sloppy.

Its always good to keep them on their toes and giving 100% all the time by letting them know no place is guaranteed even if we win

I feel it will be the same team, if Hanley isn't fit then he will be replaced by Gibson (who is a natural left sided defender). 

If Sara is to come in I would move Nunez forward to where Ramsay is and play Sara alongside McLean.

I think Cantwell had an ok game in the week tbh. Chased well and effort was good. He still creates nothing going forward though, and chasing may be admirable but defensively he’s not really who I’d pick. I feel he is a bit lost in our system and inferior as a creator to both Nunez and Ramsay. Sort of suggests to me we are better off with a more defence minded midfielder less worried about creating so not caught between two minds and that is probably Sara. Hanley for Gibson despite Gibson being a donkey. I just think Byram at LB for now is our best bet to limit damage from that area of the pitch until actual LBs come back to fitness. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

I think Byram will be rotated as its two games in four days and he was struggling at the end, he'll move McLean to left back and bring in Sara for his first start.

• Like 2

I would like to see Sara given a start at the expense of Ramsey or Cantwell.

Argos is too good in that role of a 60th minute trouble maker for me at the moment. 

I know Kenny gets some slack but he seems to do the hard part then fcuk up the easy bit eg: ridiculous challenge to win the ball then pass to opposition. However with Gibbs and Hayden (will never wear our shirt) crocked I do not see any other options for his spot.

Would like to see Sara start if only to see what he's got really. McLean, Sara and Nunez in the middle. 

Onel didn't do enough to earn a start and remains more effective as an impact sub. 

I think Byram will start even if he doesn't last 90 mins, especially if Hanley doesn't make it as I doubt Smith will want to make 2 changes to the back 4.

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

He still creates nothing going forward though, 

I think that's a but harsh - see his cracking ball for the last goal against Cov - but definitely would like to see him a bit more involved at the top end. No goals or assists since the last promotion season I think?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

While Cantwell didn't really get involved.

What game were you watching? Cantwell was really good (again). 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

What game were you watching?

The one where he was the first player to be subbed, with a third of the game still remaining.

14 hours ago, RugbyCanary said:

If Hanley isn't fit....I wouldn't risk Gibson. Put Kenny back in at left back, move Byram into the middle and start Sara in midfield. 

Gibson came on against Bristol when we were virtually under siege. He performed flawlessly, making a couple of crucial interventions, calming things down considerably. On the basis of that, admittedly brief, performance and his previous record in the Champs I would have no hesitation in replacing Hanley with Gibson if required.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Gibson came on against Bristol when we were virtually under siege. He performed flawlessly, making a couple of crucial interventions, calming things down considerably.

My thoughts exactly. In this league he is very good, and I would have no problem seeing hm start for us. 

However, I feel the balance in our team is not quite right

22 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Gibson came on against Bristol when we were virtually under siege. He performed flawlessly, making a couple of crucial interventions, calming things down considerably. On the basis of that, admittedly brief, performance and his previous record in the Champs I would have no hesitation in replacing Hanley with Gibson if required.

He also has the added bonus of being comfortable with the ball at his feet. He can pass and start attacks, rather than Hanley making simple, square passes. I think in this league Gibson is -  mostly - the better option than Hanley because of this. In the Premier League, when we don't have the ball much and have to defend more, the other way around (but neither are good enough in my opinion). 

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

What game were you watching? Cantwell was really good (again). 

I thought he had his best game so far this season, its nice to see him working hard.

Personally I think Sara will play in place of Byram, with McLean at left back, just to protect Byram if anything. We got a little glimpse of Sara's ability to drive forward with the ball at the end of the game didn't we, think its time he got a start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I thought he had his best game so far this season, its nice to see him working hard.

Personally I think Sara will play in place of Byram, with McLean at left back, just to protect Byram if anything. We got a little glimpse of Sara's ability to drive forward with the ball at the end of the game didn't we, think its time he got a start.

I am desperate to see Cantwell perform, I really do not think you can drop Ramsey and keep Cantwell in the side.  If Smith is creating a competitive culture he has to reward (play) the players who get the goals and assists.

With Byram he is such a professional I expect him to play, whilst Hanley sounds more marginal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Yes - It always even with defenders a confidence / form thing. Gibson certainly had some bad games and was deservedly dropped / sidelined / rested (take your pick) but certainly has pedigree and is usually more than good enough. I have no worries that he'll come back if Hanley needs time and again make the spot his own. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I get the thinking with resting Byram but we don't have a game for two weeks after this one so I imagine they'll get him through this game.

11 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I think that's a but harsh - see his cracking ball for the last goal against Cov - but definitely would like to see him a bit more involved at the top end. No goals or assists since the last promotion season I think?

Exactly this. As I said, I appreciate the graft he is showing but the short little purple patch in that first prem season is proving more and more that it was an anomaly in an otherwise pretty average career (relative to the hype). An attacking and creative midfielder should be far more of a threat than Cantwell has been for 2 years, he will undoubtedly score and assist this season, but for a team at the top of the division he probably ‘should’ be standing out. I suspect he is at his level if a little misplaced in a team or system and may well be better in another championship  team with a different set up. But when he goes at the end of the season it won’t be to a premier league side and it won’t be for big money. Couple of million to Millwall or something I suspect. Obvs this is a fantastic personal achievement for any professional player, but a good lesson in not believing the hype, especially your own. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - It always even with defenders a confidence / form thing. Gibson certainly had some bad games and was deservedly dropped / sidelined / rested (take your pick) but certainly has pedigree and is usually more than good enough. I have no worries that he'll come back if Hanley needs time and again make the spot his own. 

I've heard of pedigree dogs but I suppose Gibson can be considered a pedigree donkey ! Was he really that good in 2020 ? He had a real good team around him and ball had to get past Skipp first before getting to him. He's a very average defender who does have an eye for a pass but only when no opposition player is in sight and he is not pressed. We don't have the same depth as 2020. Is Gibson a game changer ? He certainly is changing 3 points into 1 or 1 point into none - we can't afford this ! We just haven't got the depth at central defence. Gibson is the backup for Hanley & Omobamidele so one injury and we're basically done !  We could play Tomkinson - we need someone that can defence and clear the ball. Moving McLean & Byram is a solution but those two are playing pretty well in their designated positions.

Slightly worried today. WBA have made lots of chances but scored very few. It won’t  last forever but hopefully for at least another game.

• Like 1