Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Those f.....g floodlights

Still waiting for some sort of reply/acknowledgement from the Club, when I got home last night, I had a raging headache and was still seeing some sort of glare in my eyes. Did anybody else notice Byram put his hands up to shield his eyes when the ball came over his side in the air? I noticed that two fans in my row were wearing sunglasses last night, perhaps I'll try this next game.

1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

Still waiting for some sort of reply/acknowledgement from the Club, when I got home last night, I had a raging headache and was still seeing some sort of glare in my eyes. Did anybody else notice Byram put his hands up to shield his eyes when the ball came over his side in the air? I noticed that two fans in my row were wearing sunglasses last night, perhaps I'll try this next game.

It was noticeable that the Bailey and the Pink'Un boys were all extremely sarcastic in their reports last night on this. If the media are making those noises, then you would hope someone somewhere would turn the wick down a bit. However, given broadcasting constraints, I think the situation will only be improved for good once the City Stand is replaced and the floodlights around the ground can be better pitched at lower angles.

I expect they improve the quality of the TV coverage. Whether that's to the detriment of supporters won't matter. He who pays the Piper...

They definitely blinded fans who were Kenny watching🙃

• Haha 4

Actually, now you say that, it wasn't until I got home that I realised that my eyes were a bit 'wavy' and I hadn't put 2+2 together. It is far too bright, although I'd obviously become accustomed to it.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

image.jpeg.6bee5183ce88692ca1ba96a2be821b96.jpeg

They need to sort it before these become common. 

A class action no less!

Depends where you sit I guess, not an issue for me - But I'd imagine sat in the Jarrold it could be bad as they're angled straight at you.

• Like 1

I've suffered from such glare before, but only at Goodison Park where I struggled to see anything.  Strangely a ground that is not fit for purpose in this modern TV age and soon to be replaced. I wonder what Attanasio's team will bring to the table on this?  

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Depends where you sit I guess, not an issue for me - But I'd imagine sat in the Jarrold it could be bad as they're angled straight at you.

Exactly this.

The City Stand is so small that the floodlights are right in your eyeline. Horrible.

• Like 1

This is the EU's final opinion, which among other things, offers evidence that exposure to LED light in the late evening can upset circadian rhythms. There's also a lot of suggestion of links with migraines with high intensity blue LED lights. 

Some links are suggested with high intensity blue LED light and migraines. 

Obviously, being floodlights those who have them directed straight at them are going to be receiving some very high intensity doses. 

https://health.ec.europa.eu/other-pages/health-sc-basic-page/final-opinion-light-emitting-diodes-leds_en

If many people are reporting problems, it should be investigated. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Exactly this.

The City Stand is so small that the floodlights are right in your eyeline. Horrible.

I'm in the city stand and they don't really bother me, but I am front row so maybe out of worst glare.

You would think Krul would report any issues as if  it's that bad it would affect him coming for crosses etc more than most. Some doubt anything will be done unless the players report it

34 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I expect they improve the quality of the TV coverage. Whether that's to the detriment of supporters won't matter. He who pays the Piper...

I did wonder why so many people were saying he only misplaced one pass. 

2 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I'm in the city stand and they don't really bother me, but I am front row so maybe out of worst glare.

I meant for us sitting opposite the City Stand. The lights are directed right at you

2 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

You would think Krul would report any issues as if  it's that bad it would affect him coming for crosses etc more than most. Some doubt anything will be done unless the players report it

I think it's the ones on the City Stand causing the biggest problem. It doesn't bother me in the River End, but when the ball travels in certain areas and you inadvertently look right at them I do get a bit of glare in my vision for the next few seconds.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

How many were there?

I can recall at least four, two that were very dangerous. In the first half he tried a little backheel thing that went nowhere and within a minute tried a similar thing with the exact same result. There were several around me exasperated by his performance, none of whom are the sort who particularly target any player.

I guess they must all have been playing the player and not the performance? And as I said on another thread, whilst I've been highly critical of him in the Premier League, I've always maintained he's an asset in the Championship, as he has proven.

But this season he's not yet reached the level he did in the previous seasons at this level and last night, in the eyes of a lot of people who watched him yesterday, was an example of that.

If/when Hayden gets fit, it would be McLean I'd be dropping not Nunez.

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

And the ref.

• Haha 1

Guy who sits two seats away from us in Row W, Block K said he has out in a complaint to the club on first seeing these blinding and ridiculous additional lights. He received a response indicating that the Italian manufacturers had been called in to see what adjustments could be made to reduce the glare. 

We have had evening matches broadcast from FCR when the floodlights are  needed full power for years with absolutely no issues from TV companies so why the hell are these things suddenly needed?? 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I can recall at least four, two that were very dangerous. In the first half he tried a little backheel thing that went nowhere and within a minute tried a similar thing with the exact same result. There were several around me exasperated by his performance, none of whom are the sort who particularly target any player.

I guess they must all have been playing the player and not the performance? And as I said on another thread, whilst I've been highly critical of him in the Premier League, I've always maintained he's an asset in the Championship, as he has proven.

But this season he's not yet reached the level he did in the previous seasons at this level and last night, in the eyes of a lot of people who watched him yesterday, was an example of that.

If/when Hayden gets fit, it would be McLean I'd be dropping not Nunez.

He attempted 55 passes and completed 44 according to whoscored, meaning he misplaced 11.

This was, however, the 3rd best completion % on the team- wonder if people can guess who had higher without looking it up?

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

He attempted 55 passes and completed 44 according to whoscored, meaning he misplaced 11.

This was, however, the 3rd best completion % on the team- wonder if people can guess who had higher without looking it up?

Omo / Aarons?

I also woke up with a raging headache this morning.

But that is probably due to me hitting my head getting into the taxi home. Bloody Toyotas are too small for tall guys like me!

17 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Omo / Aarons?

Nope

Hanley and Cantwell apparently.

Edited by king canary

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Nope

Hanley and Cantwell apparently.

Hanley doesn't surprise me, he is regularly up there largely due to the nature of his attempted passes. My guess would have been Hanley and Omo. Having said that, Cantwell had a very good game, it was a big surprise for me when he came off.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Hanley doesn't surprise me, he is regularly up there largely due to the nature of his attempted passes. My guess would have been Hanley and Omo. Having said that, Cantwell had a very good game, it was a big surprise for me when he came off.

I tend to ignore the CD stats in this. So many passes are across the back line under no pressure. 

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I tend to ignore the CD stats in this. So many passes are across the back line under no pressure. 

And you prove my point again about Kenny! This is because McLean fails to give Hanley and co an option! Grrrrr! You agree with me in an indirect way, why can't you see it? D'oh!

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

And you prove my point again about Kenny! This is because McLean fails to give Hanley and co an option! Grrrrr! You agree with me in an indirect way, why can't you see it? D'oh!

The point I made was a general point that would include passing under no pressure to a showing cdm.

However can't you see that Kenny wouldn't have been that player if either of the better options had been fit?

Who would you have played there last night?

Back on topic. The flipside is that the view from the Upper Barclay is impressive under the lights with the whole pitch illuminated like a summer's day with the advantage of no shadows.