Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Got away with it …….again

48 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Nigel i get he was close to 8/10 against Bristol and well done Kenny thats the sort of Performance that we expect from a experienced player 

to be fair to Kenny thats not his position DM or left back and he will fill in a useful to have 

but to be the pointer the one who barks orders you have to be the standout performer weekly the benchmark for others you think kenny is that ? 

like others have said and with the transfers we have had this season mostly a new midfield 

throw in gibbs who could be the find of the season when fit 

i see kenny struggling to get in a fully fit side 

for now yes he will be in and he will put in a shift and hats off to him for a good performance more of the same please 

But there hasn't been "hats off to him for a good performance" there's been denial that he played well. I was only commenting on that performance which to my mind was 8/10.

I think it's quite obvious that Gibbs and Hayden are above him for that position. They were unavailable and Kenny stepped in and had an 8/10 game. I don't get the negativity and if the fact that he points bothers you more than how he plays it reflects on your prejudice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

I'm not sure we "got away" with anything. 

It was certainly a finely balanced game at times but Smith was right to give Bristol City due credit for their performance and also for the way they set up.  

The benefits of their system which is 3412 but is really a variant of 343 is that they had an extra man in midfield and they made it pay. The question is how we counter this and keep our shape playing from a 4231? I don't know, but we'll get this problem again and we need to find a better solution.

Bristol used their tactical overload in midfield to great effect and were able to dominate possession centrally as soon as we started to manage the game and run the clock (seemingly from the second goal). On reflection this was a mistake. A two goal lead is usually the cue for a win or at least a draw. But managing the game so early in the contest against a side like Bristol? We need a different mentality. It seemed like we had gone into our shell. Bristol sensed this and were emboldened during the second part of the first half. The difference we need to see is a more ruthless approach to finishing off the opposition once we have gained the ascendancy especially against a bold side like Bristol who had come to play football with us. 

Bristol have goals in them, their morale is high and Smith was right to reinvigorate our approach at half time. Hernandez is more than a just a fan of one of our retail giants he's a reason why opposing defences stay home not that Cantwell was lacking any effort or application. Sara looked energetic. I thought McLean played well, so much of his work is in his positioning and off the ball.

He's not a showy player as a result many fail to see his merits, my only criticism of him is his finishing but he is savvy and he's effective in closing the passing lanes plus he knows his job in a 4231. 

It wasn't a lucky win but it was a close run thing. Bristol if anything reminded me of a Lambert run Norwich, all players willing to put a shoulder to the wheel and a side who play with the mentality of if you score 3 we'll score 4. If you were a Bristol fan what's not to like about that?

If anything Smith and his players will have learned a lot from this game. We didn't play at our best and won and yet we won because we played our 4231 and put the ball into the places where Pukki wants it. It wasn't our best performance and it was nerve wracking to watch and yet many of our lads played well with Pukki, Sargent and McLean the pick of the bunch.

It's true that we could have lost or drawn a game like this and for sure we have no right to expect to win but we did win and we deserved to. Just. 

I not sure I think we play 4231. It looks just a simple 433 to me. That is why we do get the overload against us in midfield at times. I assume when/if Hayden plays we may well play the 4231. No player in our current lineup is a sitting player in front of the defence. In fact they all like to push forward.

It's The Championship and we've been struggling with defensive injuries on top of having players who we know have errors in them even at this level.

What on earth are you expecting in terms of defensive signings with the budget he has to play with.

Answers on the back of your sticker album please...

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

But there hasn't been "hats off to him for a good performance" there's been denial that he played well. I was only commenting on that performance which to my mind was 8/10.

I think it's quite obvious that Gibbs and Hayden are above him for that position. They were unavailable and Kenny stepped in and had an 8/10 game. I don't get the negativity and if the fact that he points bothers you more than how he plays it reflects on your prejudice.

oh sorry Nigel my comments have been about him in General not his last game or any one game 

i agree with you hats off for his last game out of position and a good game 

sorry i was talking in General ! and not explaining myself very well again ! 🙃

can you pm me your email all this Mclean talk must be talking up a bet for the pups over the next few games i will donate £5 for mclean to score anytime the next two games that he plays , got a feeling as i have talked him down he might get one with his head !!!! 

17 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

oh sorry Nigel my comments have been about him in General not his last game or any one game 

i agree with you hats off for his last game out of position and a good game 

sorry i was talking in General ! and not explaining myself very well again ! 🙃

can you pm me your email all this Mclean talk must be talking up a bet for the pups over the next few games i will donate £5 for mclean to score anytime the next two games that he plays , got a feeling as i have talked him down he might get one with his head !!!! 

Love it. Thanks Norfolk. 🙃👍 

I'll match it. Let's make it happen. 🤞🍀

Come on Kenny💪

Canaryeddie@aol.com

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Love it. Thanks Norfolk. 🙃👍 

I'll match it. Let's make it happen. 🤞🍀

Come on Kenny💪

Canaryeddie@aol.com

10 pounds has been sent !!

come on Kenny !!!!! 😃 

well done Nutty !! 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2022 at 03:40, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think we could win games more conclusively at this level by being more controlled in the approach, but with more discipline comes the risk of more rigidity. Being too disciplined and systemic makes things more predictable and easier to counter, which may be a part of our problem in the Premier League. 

You need structure, but you also need to give players a bit of freedom to develop.

This.

People talk about formations, but formations are only an idea that shapes the play. Fluidity in form is the ideal.

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

10 pounds has been sent !!

come on Kenny !!!!! 😃 

well done Nutty !! 

I've moved it onto the PUPs thread...

We'll do it all again at Blackpool👍

• Thanks 1