Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Bristol City

Its been a strange sort of week emotionally, given national events but it was good to see the minutes silence immaculately observed by the near 26k present.

When things got going there were notable situations at both ends within the opening minute. First it was Cantwell nipping in to set Sargent away only for the big striker to get caught in two minds and he niether crossed nor shot when the opportunity presented itself and the ball was tamely lost with a back pass. Then at our end Byrom needlessly presented the ball to a Bristol striker who thankfully made a mess of a golden chance.

City were looking up for it and another move came down the left. Nunez crossed to Pukki following a clever dummy by Sargent and it took several defenders to finally block the City Talismans path to goal. It was an encouraging start with little coming back from the visitors at this stage and as if to cement their early superiority the home side went a goal up on ten minutes. A long ball forward was misjudged by a defender and Pukki managed to clip the ball over the keeper and keep his composure to nod the ball into the unguarded net.

All was looking fine and dandy with City looking dangerous with every attack and it was no surprise when the second goal came at the midway stage of the half. Ramsey latched on to a loose ball in midfield and slid a nice pass between the Bristol centre backs where Pukki did what Pukki does best and slid the ball past the advancing Bentley. Bristol had looked fairly open at the back and I think most of us were expecting a possible goalfest was on the cards but this thought was firmly silenced as the visitors took control of midfield and began to call the tune.

City had looked good with those sweeping early moves but didn't appear to have an answer as the away side upped their game. A number of crosses and corners were dealt with competently enough but the continual needless giving the ball away began to get large portions of the crowd aggitated. Cantwell was putting himself about to good effect and Nunez mixed some good work with the odd bit of waywardness while Ramsey, for all his good work often seemed outmuscled. Lambert in his pomp would have spotted the danger and changed it after 35 minutes but there was no signal from the sidelines as things deteriorated. A degree in Clairvoyance wasn't needed to fortell what would happen next and just before the break Conway duly nodded in the inevitable goal that had been long in coming.

Changes were obviously needed if the points weren't going to be thrown away but I, and I expect many others were aghast to see the same eleven trot out for the second half. If the manager thought a talking too would do the trick he was badly mistaken as City continued to misfire and Krul was called into action a couple of times to field on target efforts. I don't know if Smith heard me shouting but he finally forced himself into action by taking Ramsey and Cantwell off for Hernandez and Sara. It gave us a better outlet on the left and a bit more bite in midfield and although Bristol still came forward it didn't look so much like The Little Big Horn.

On 65 minutes City won a corner on the left and Sara's cross was met perfectly by Josh Sargent to head inside the near post and restore the two goal margin. It was probably more than we deserved on the balance of play but it was very welcome all the same. Pukki departed for Sinani with the game apparently won as It seemed that the rot had been stopped and from here it should have been plain sailing only for the ref David Webb, to make an appalling error. Max Aarons was grabbed round the neck by an opponent and pulled to the ground and as 26k people waited for the obvious whistle, the memerised ref allowed play to continue and Semenyo netted. I know you should play to the whistle but the only explanation I can think for not blowing it was that he was struck monentarily blind because everyone else in the ground saw it.

From here it was backs to the wall and further wierd substitutions only increased the tension. Gibson for Hanley and Dowell for Nunez with six minutes left appeared to be a hostage to fortune as the game became stretched. Sinani should have settled the nerves when put clean through but shot straight at the keeper. What is it with forwards who don't have the sense to take the ball round the keeper in that situation?

Six minutes added was a strain on the nerves but somehow we survived to take all three points but this one was more by luck than judgement in my opinion and Bristol will be going home wondering how they got nothing from the game.

Teemu my MOM tonight but quite a few ought to be looking at their performances tonight and that includes those on the sidelines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

Odd how it’s different in the ground to how it looks on tv - I couldn’t go tonight so was watching at home, and thought we saw the game out pretty well.  We looked more likely to score a 4th than them a third.

Bristol looked a decent side, we weren’t at the top our game but still had more than enough to see out the win, which has to be good.

46 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Odd how it’s different in the ground to how it looks on tv - I couldn’t go tonight so was watching at home, and thought we saw the game out pretty well.  We looked more likely to score a 4th than them a third.

Bristol looked a decent side, we weren’t at the top our game but still had more than enough to see out the win, which has to be good.

That's how I saw it. It is often that there is only noise from the Barclay, but tonight especially after their second you were aware that the rest of the ground were not just passive observers. Looking at the players we have to return, there is every reason for optimism. I think there is more to come from Sara. A full bloodied game, well worth the money.

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

few ought to be looking at their performances tonight and that includes those on the sidelines.

Yup, I bet he's furious with himself he's stood on the sidelines watching us win 6 games in a row, without playing particularly well.

It could be argued a change was needed at half time but I think it should have been a formation change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. Ramsey, and then Sara too often were just lost in no man's land, not linking an attack effectively and not being any kind of shield to the final 3rd.

Credit to Smith (no idea why he gets none from the OP, what exactly does he have to do???) for setting us up as such and knowing with Bristols high press (and very high wing backs) we would get chances on the break, and the types of chances that Pukki thrives on, but I feel the final 15mins of the first half and beginning of the 2nd showed we needed control of the ball more in the middle and we weren't getting that with a no 10 on the pitch. Maybe if we had been 2 up more of a change would've happened whereas with just a goal lead, we were right to continue to look for another. That no 10 does make a difference for Pukki.

We also played a very narrow 4-2-3-1 which gave Bristol a lot of space and time out wide and Cantwells attack was restricted as a result. This was addressed with the introduction of Onel (again, no credit to Smith for that...really?) which pushed us wider and with Sara, gave us a bit more bite and solidity in midfield, though he still played as a 10 when I thought he'd drop in deeper. These were timely subs imo as we had started to go long too often (after numerous passes around the back 4 ending up at Kruls feet) and Onel gave us an outlet on the ground.

So my overall thoughts are that while not playing particularly well, the game played out pretty much exactly as Smith thought it would. They'd get chances higher up the pitch and we'd break on them with our championship cheat code in Pukki. Albeit a little late, he addressed the midfield issue in the 2nd half and we got a 3rd. An awful, absolutely f***ing awful piece of officiating resulted in them getting back in the game and unjustly giving us a nervy final 10 mins or so, but we did what we needed to do to win the game. It was a performance that felt like if we needed to, we could've stepped it up and got another goal. As will be the case in many matches, we are the better 11, its how we're set up and how few errors we make that will decide if we win the game.

Exciting times ahead when/if we can get some players fit. A proper holding mid will make us more solid and give us more freedom in attack. It could also release Nunez to play slightly higher up on the right (like a certain Mr Buendia) and give Pukki even more service, like yesterday, that he has already shown he loves.

So, much credit to Smith, and he still isn't getting enough. 6 wins in a row. Promotion seasons under Farke and Lambert were far far from a walk in the park and we rarely put together a complete 90mins (it's why Leeds away is so well and fondly remembered, it's a rare example of a complete perfect performance) but we got the job done and kept getting the wins, exactly like we are doing now. Here's to you Deano!

OTBC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Yup, I bet he's furious with himself he's stood on the sidelines watching us win 6 games in a row, without playing particularly well.

It could be argued a change was needed at half time but I think it should have been a formation change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. Ramsey, and then Sara too often were just lost in no man's land, not linking an attack effectively and not being any kind of shield to the final 3rd.

Credit to Smith (no idea why he gets none from the OP, what exactly does he have to do???) for setting us up as such and knowing with Bristols high press (and very high wing backs) we would get chances on the break, and the types of chances that Pukki thrives on, but I feel the final 15mins of the first half and beginning of the 2nd showed we needed control of the ball more in the middle and we weren't getting that with a no 10 on the pitch. Maybe if we had been 2 up more of a change would've happened whereas with just a goal lead, we were right to continue to look for another. That no 10 does make a difference for Pukki.

We also played a very narrow 4-2-3-1 which gave Bristol a lot of space and time out wide and Cantwells attack was restricted as a result. This was addressed with the introduction of Onel (again, no credit to Smith for that...really?) which pushed us wider and with Sara, gave us a bit more bite and solidity in midfield, though he still played as a 10 when I thought he'd drop in deeper. These were timely subs imo as we had started to go long too often (after numerous passes around the back 4 ending up at Kruls feet) and Onel gave us an outlet on the ground.

So my overall thoughts are that while not playing particularly well, the game played out pretty much exactly as Smith thought it would. They'd get chances higher up the pitch and we'd break on them with our championship cheat code in Pukki. Albeit a little late, he addressed the midfield issue in the 2nd half and we got a 3rd. An awful, absolutely f***ing awful piece of officiating resulted in them getting back in the game and unjustly giving us a nervy final 10 mins or so, but we did what we needed to do to win the game. It was a performance that felt like if we needed to, we could've stepped it up and got another goal. As will be the case in many matches, we are the better 11, its how we're set up and how few errors we make that will decide if we win the game.

Exciting times ahead when/if we can get some players fit. A proper holding mid will make us more solid and give us more freedom in attack. It could also release Nunez to play slightly higher up on the right (like a certain Mr Buendia) and give Pukki even more service, like yesterday, that he has already shown he loves.

So, much credit to Smith, and he still isn't getting enough. 6 wins in a row. Promotion seasons under Farke and Lambert were far far from a walk in the park and we rarely put together a complete 90mins (it's why Leeds away is so well and fondly remembered, it's a rare example of a complete perfect performance) but we got the job done and kept getting the wins, exactly like we are doing now. Here's to you Deano!

OTBC

Agree with your comments regarding the subs. Bit of a strange complaint from Ricardo, we were 2-0 up on 25 minutes and relatively comfortable; to make changes after just a 10/15 minute spell for the away side would’ve been very knee jerk IMO.

The comparison to Lambert is interesting, but I genuinely don’t think he would’ve acted too differently to Smith. Perhaps the subs may have came at half time, but totally understandable that after a 15 minute rocket and a goal just-conceded you hold fire and see if the same 11 can regain the initiative still 2-1 up. Sadly they didn’t and I think after about 10 mins of the second half the subs were getting ready! Absolutely fine! More notably to me was the feeling that Smith was quicker to act than Farke would’ve been (always one of my biggest gripes with him), as opposed to being slower than Lambert. Farke probably wouldn’t have changed things until we finally went 2-3 down on 78 minutes...

Overall I don’t think Smith was far off at all here and there isn’t really any aspect of yesterday’s situation where I don’t understand or follow the logic of the changes and their timing. Less so Sunderland away!

The final batch of subs were strange; I can only think that Nunez and Hanley were struggling as no way would you deliberately rotate out those key positions for the players Smith did without being forced into it - it was only a one goal cushion at that point. None of the subs did enough to justify a start in the next game IMO, which is a shame as it feels like the 11 needs freshening up. Hernandez to start 

What does everyone think of Sara by the way? He must be getting close to full fitness / sharpness now. Seems like he can get in some good advanced positions and has good awareness for flicks / one touch passes / popping up for a shot etc in those areas. But he looks a bit technically lacking when in possession - perhaps nerves as he has seemed a bit jittery / unsure / slow to me with the ball so far this season. Out of possession too I’ve not been super impressed, isn’t he supposed to be more a box-to-box type?

Perhaps I am being unfair, with our other South American signing immediately adapting so well. If you asked me who the record signing was I’d pick Nunez. Of course all must be taken with a pinch of salt after Sara’s lengthy lay off but I am yet to be truly impressed. He will continue to be granted game time in the short term given our injuries, but I can’t help but feel he needs to step it up if he doesn’t want Hayden and even Gibbs to slip ahead in the pecking order!

• Like 1

We changed to 433 just before they scored, unfortunately I think BC had built up a head of steam by that point and got back in the game, my son and I both said the change was 5 minutes too late, so Smith did see the necessity but in my view waited too long to implement the change.

6 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

As long as you are happy with a "never mind the quality, feel the width", then I guess you can say it was a good three points. For me, apart from the opening 20 minutes, it was a fumbling performance that we only just got away with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The final batch of subs were strange; I can only think that Nunez and Hanley were struggling as no way would you deliberately rotate out those key positions for the players Smith did without being forced into it - it was only a one goal cushion at that point.

Hanley was struggling for most of the match with a shoulder injury (the same one he picked up a couple of weeks ago). Goreham on commentary reported he was taking painkillers early in the second half. I also think this was why Byram played so narrow at times given Sykes plenty of space and handing the momentum to Brizzle, he was covering for Hanley. It was notable in that final passage of play that Byram did push out wider and Brizzle were unable to get any crosses in from that wing, switching focus to Aaron's wing.

Nunez had definitely ran out of steam as well, covering as usual for the non-defensively minded but supposed CDM last night that is McLean. As I regularly say, we will show no real progress until McLean has been ditched. I just hope Gibbs is back soon, I'm not hanging my hat on Hayden.

Edited by shefcanary

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As long as you are happy with a "never mind the quality, feel the width", then I guess you can say it was a good three points. For me, apart from the opening 20 minutes, it was a fumbling performance that we only just got away with.

Indeed.

A coach’s dream. 3 points and plenty to dig into them about

Parma 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If players are to be given the freedom to try different things,  see what they're capable of in real games, and generally develop, then I think that necessarily will come with some bouts of fumbling. Personally, I think that's worth it if it means that the players we have have are given the opportunity to be closer to their full potential when we get back to the Premier League and give us the best chance of survival. 

• Like 1

Need a CDM back and cut out the stray suicidal 'gift' passes. 

This was the kind of open game it seems where we said however many you score we'll score 1 more!

Can't always promise that will work out though.

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Absobloodylutely I'm happy for us to win a game of football, have a clear plan to do so, not overreact to a period of pressure that happens in every match, make changes when said pressure intensifies and remains constant, score another goal after the changes, and see out the match (only made uncomfortable by refereeing incompetence) to make it 6 wins in a row.

At no point have I said Smith won't be continually learning and looking for ways for us to improve. But your post is just over the top negative about him, and doesn't add up when scrutinised. Special mention goes to when you use Lambert as a stick to beat him with (subs), realising the usual Farke stick can't be used as he was far far worse than Smith has ever been whilst in charge. Its also wrong as Smith makes timely changes and has affected games by doing so (another gripe and damning statistic about the messiah Farke.)

Last night was far from perfect, but the vast majority of Lamberts and Farkes promotion seasons were the same as the mixture of performances weve seen at the beginning of this season. I see it as a massive positive we are where we are right now as we have players to return and some consistent good form to come into, to come. Happy days. We will play well in games and lose, play well and win, play well and lose etc etc. Winning the majority will see us promoted, so erm, what's not to like? I didnt enjoy a lot of the Millwall game a few years back, it had errors galore, poor, slow tactical decisions and some rotten individual performances, but it's one game I love going back to and watching and talking about.

Guaranteed the extent to which you found a negative in last night's performance, you didn't find in the aforementioned seasons. Smith is changing tactics and formations IN GAME. It's what we're cried out for for the last few years, how is he not getting credit for it? Seriously, the critisism for simply being Dean Smith (as I just can't find another justifiable reason for the uneducated and inconsistent analysis) is just sad.

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Agree with this. But you also agree with Smith in his after match comments. He stated he was very unhappy with our restart and it took him 15 minutes to make the change. And the changes (Ramsey and Cantwell off) did make a difference to our structure and play. Didn't help that the ref didn't do his job for their second goal.

Overall though, whilst happy with the result I'm also more dissatisfied than I thought I would be. And "fumbling" is a good a word as any and though I couldn't see another BC goal coming they were the better team most of the night. The thing is though, in our recent Champs past we r been a far better team and not got a result. So you have to take matches like last night's in the scheme of things, be grateful and then look ahead to the next.

5 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Smith is changing tactics and formations IN GAME. It's what we're cried out for for the last few years, how is he not getting credit for it?

Agree with this point especially FZ. Smith has shown he can change the pattern of play. He has done it fairly consistently this whole season. He has used the 5 subs rule very well and effectively in my eyes. I used to watch Farke and scream at the TV or moan at the match for changes. I loved DF by the way but his in game management would frustrate me (so did Worthy and Hughton too 🙂...in fact most except Lambert). Smith is refreshing with his changes in team pattern and structure - anyway that's my early season take.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Agree with this point especially FZ. Smith has shown he can change the pattern of play. He has done it fairly consistently this whole season. He has used the 5 subs rule very well and effectively in my eyes. I used to watch Farke and scream at the TV or moan at the match for changes. I loved DF by the way but his in game management would frustrate me (so did Worthy and Hughton too 🙂...in fact most except Lambert). Smith is refreshing with his changes in team pattern and structure - anyway that's my early season take.

Now you've done it... someone will be along in a minute and claim had Farke had 5 subs a game, he'd have changed formations, tactics etc too 😉

But yes, it's a strength of Smiths, or simply just good, clever coaching and managing to have more than 1 plan, and change it if things aren't working. It's what changes games. If he hadn't changed it last night, we may have drawn or lost. He deserves more credit than he's getting.

Bringing through youth, implementing a new style and philosophy, integrating new signings when ready, having more than 1 plan, clear respect of the squad, speaks well and intelligently, admits concerns and demands improvement, key players to return, and, erm, winning games. Seriously don't know what's not to like at the moment.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Absobloodylutely I'm happy for us to win a game of football, have a clear plan to do so, not overreact to a period of pressure that happens in every match, make changes when said pressure intensifies and remains constant, score another goal after the changes, and see out the match (only made uncomfortable by refereeing incompetence) to make it 6 wins in a row.

At no point have I said Smith won't be continually learning and looking for ways for us to improve. But your post is just over the top negative about him, and doesn't add up when scrutinised. Special mention goes to when you use Lambert as a stick to beat him with (subs), realising the usual Farke stick can't be used as he was far far worse than Smith has ever been whilst in charge. Its also wrong as Smith makes timely changes and has affected games by doing so (another gripe and damning statistic about the messiah Farke.)

Last night was far from perfect, but the vast majority of Lamberts and Farkes promotion seasons were the same as the mixture of performances weve seen at the beginning of this season. I see it as a massive positive we are where we are right now as we have players to return and some consistent good form to come into, to come. Happy days. We will play well in games and lose, play well and win, play well and lose etc etc. Winning the majority will see us promoted, so erm, what's not to like? I didnt enjoy a lot of the Millwall game a few years back, it had errors galore, poor, slow tactical decisions and some rotten individual performances, but it's one game I love going back to and watching and talking about.

Guaranteed the extent to which you found a negative in last night's performance, you didn't find in the aforementioned seasons. Smith is changing tactics and formations IN GAME. It's what we're cried out for for the last few years, how is he not getting credit for it? Seriously, the critisism for simply being Dean Smith (as I just can't find another justifiable reason for the uneducated and inconsistent analysis) is just sad.

Once again we have posters complaining that other posters are negative. What they have to understand is that there is tremendous joy that we are winning. It makes our whole life better. But the remarks about poor passing, etc are exactly what happened. So do we just deny that those things happened?

Of course not, there is so much more to this squad. But it isn't really like a well oiled machine at the moment, particularly in midfield. Hence the posts about it. Its not a stick to beat Smith with, its a ready observance of what happened.

I think we nearly all agree that until we get a DM in place, some players are having to do a job they aren't really suited for. And it shows in part of the game. In fact this is probably one of the most attacking "front six" we have ever put on a pitch. So there will be periods when we are out of shape, out of position and overrun. And there were periods of that last night. And Ricardo's report echoed that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Bringing through youth, implementing a new style and philosophy, integrating new signings when ready, having more than 1 plan, clear respect of the squad, speaks well and intelligently, admits concerns and demands improvement, key players to return, and, erm, winning games. Seriously don't know what's not to like at the moment.

What amuses me is that he says is so utterly simple after match or pre match. He is not one for lots of words (unlike me at times😅). He is the epitome of Occam's Razor and for that he must get credit.

He is able to communicate with so few words, often frugally. I'm guessing he is a quiet sort of bloke. No flim flam or poetry (or management bulls**t) with Dean Smith. When I first heard him talk I used to think "is that it!" but I've gained a new appreciation of him in that respect. Just says it like it is. And what's not to like about that. Warming to him.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Once again we have posters complaining that other posters are negative. What they have to understand is that there is tremendous joy that we are winning. It makes our whole life better. But the remarks about poor passing, etc are exactly what happened. So do we just deny that those things happened?

Of course not, there is so much more to this squad. But it isn't really like a well oiled machine at the moment, particularly in midfield. Hence the posts about it. Its not a stick to beat Smith with, its a ready observance of what happened.

I think we nearly all agree that until we get a DM in place, some players are having to do a job they aren't really suited for. And it shows in part of the game. In fact this is probably one of the most attacking "front six" we have ever put on a pitch. So there will be periods when we are out of shape, out of position and overrun. And there were periods of that last night. And Ricardo's report echoed that.

You obviously havent read my post as

* I said the performance was far from perfect, so no we don't deny those moments happened

* I never said its like a well oiled machine or in any way inferred that. In fact, I explicitly stated the opposite.

My response to the OP was simply that the arguments for the negatives don't make sense, and going to the extremes of comparing Smith to Lambert (inaccurately) just compounded the issue with it. Had it just been a report of the failings last night, sloppy errors, loss of control in midfield then fair enough but it was made very much about Smith. Unfair in my opinion. The sloppy errors are not his doing and subbing a player for some in the first half when 2-0 up is crazy. When we consistently lost control in midfield and were only a goal up, he changed it. Not sure what else he should have done. He deserves credit for last night and much much more for the season so far. Not as much humble pie around here as there should be.

I agree with your last paragraph bar the final sentence. Previous managers would have, rightly, been lauded for the changes Smith made had they done them, as it resulted in a goal and winning the game. I simply cannot find a reason for the negativity other than the dislike for Smith.

So not complaining people are negative, just sharing my opinion that Smith is unjustly, overly criticised for winning football matches, in much the same (and often much cleverer) way than the much mentioned and loved Farke and Lambert.

There is a point that is not mentioned much here, Smith gently referenced it, though coaches don’t like to make a big thing of it….it is a little toxic, though conversely not the biggest problem in the world….🙃

When you go 2-0 up - particularly if early in a game and particularly if you are not having a Man City Day, rather that your poacher has just gone 2 for 2 - there is a very, very fine line between coasting and managing the game. 

There is also a little conflicting paradox in what Smith wants them to do ‘most of the time’. Norwich are improving at counter-pressing and generally shutting key spaces better. They want to dominate the centre of the game, create overloads and - sometimes - sit tight in a block and spring.

To this effect you are trying to get your players to run harder out of possession, though also ‘run connected’ at not get ‘popped off’ chasing as individuals. 

Upon 2-0 it is normal that your better players slot into ‘guerilla mode’ with a keen eye for an assist or counter. All good. Though this is quite close to sitting off and dropping off, leading to giving up weight of possession and territory. 

None of this is disastrous if you are better, as your springing opportunities should logically bring higher xg chances. 

Bristol bravely overloaded wide - opening up the centre more usually - though countered this going 3 for 3 on our front players and making it difficult for our full backs to engage quicker and higher defensively. A brave tactic. 

Ultimately we won by ‘just’ scoring more goals than them. Though frankly, high press, heavy-metal running and being tactical aggressive wide must lead to more errors, chaos and opposition chances with higher xg. On top of the Pukki goals, Sinani’s 1v1 and the ‘phantom’ 1v1 at the final whistle are prime examples. That could be 5 goals without doing much ever so well. 

Bristol are gambling at a lower level that teams won’t be good enough to exploit this often enough. 

We - Pukki - was. Is.

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

You obviously havent read my post as

* I said the performance was far from perfect, so no we don't deny those moments happened

* I never said its like a well oiled machine or in any way inferred that. In fact, I explicitly stated the opposite.

My response to the OP was simply that the arguments for the negatives don't make sense, and going to the extremes of comparing Smith to Lambert (inaccurately) just compounded the issue with it. Had it just been a report of the failings last night, sloppy errors, loss of control in midfield then fair enough but it was made very much about Smith. Unfair in my opinion. The sloppy errors are not his doing and subbing a player for some in the first half when 2-0 up is crazy. When we consistently lost control in midfield and were only a goal up, he changed it. Not sure what else he should have done. He deserves credit for last night and much much more for the season so far. Not as much humble pie around here as there should be.

I agree with your last paragraph bar the final sentence. Previous managers would have, rightly, been lauded for the changes Smith made had they done them, as it resulted in a goal and winning the game. I simply cannot find a reason for the negativity other than the dislike for Smith.

So not complaining people are negative, just sharing my opinion that Smith is unjustly, overly criticised for winning football matches, in much the same (and often much cleverer) way than the much mentioned and loved Farke and Lambert.

Only my first paragraph was in response to your critique of Ricardo's post.

Not fully firing but building momentum through results almost mirrors the 2020/2021 season. Rotherham and Wycombe especially were hard slogs. This is why I'm not overly worried.

1079017252_Screenshot2022-09-15at13_29_07.png.9903bef6bf568f35d07e9add33695758.png

Having had some time digest and look at the highlights-

Their first goal was a very uncharacteristic lapse by Hanley. I even said last night that he just has this knack for knowing where that big forehead needs to be, but letting Conway goalside like that was critical.

Second goal I wonder if the lingering language barrier might have made an impact. Surely Omo, Hanley, McLean etc were all calling man on? At any rate, I doubt Nunez will make that error again on the edge of the box.

In summary, quite a disjointed performance. I would describe it as 'dozy'. We currently have the individual quality in defence and attack to outscore most teams in this league, but the midfield continues to misfire which cedes chances. A strong presence in the middle absolutely required.

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Having had some time digest and look at the highlights-

Their first goal was a very uncharacteristic lapse by Hanley. I even said last night that he just has this knack for knowing where that big forehead needs to be, but letting Conway goalside like that was critical.

Second goal I wonder if the lingering language barrier might have made an impact. Surely Omo, Hanley, McLean etc were all calling man on? At any rate, I doubt Nunez will make that error again on the edge of the box.

In summary, quite a disjointed performance. I would describe it as 'dozy'. We currently have the individual quality in defence and attack to outscore most teams in this league, but the midfield continues to misfire which cedes chances. A strong presence in the middle absolutely required.

I doubt Nunez would understand "man on" if Hanley or McLean said that. Both of those lads have pretty strong accents!

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I doubt Nunez would understand "man on" if Hanley or McLean said that. Both of those lads have pretty strong accents!

Manon is French for a Comic Opera so it seems suitable.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

There is a point that is not mentioned much here, Smith gently referenced it, though coaches don’t like to make a big thing of it….it is a little toxic, though conversely not the biggest problem in the world….🙃

When you go 2-0 up - particularly if early in a game and particularly if you are not having a Man City Day, rather that your poacher has just gone 2 for 2 - there is a very, very fine line between coasting and managing the game. 

There is also a little conflicting paradox in what Smith wants them to do ‘most of the time’. Norwich are improving at counter-pressing and generally shutting key spaces better. They want to dominate the centre of the game, create overloads and - sometimes - sit tight in a block and spring.

To this effect you are trying to get your players to run harder out of possession, though also ‘run connected’ at not get ‘popped off’ chasing as individuals. 

Upon 2-0 it is normal that your better players slot into ‘guerilla mode’ with a keen eye for an assist or counter. All good. Though this is quite close to sitting off and dropping off, leading to giving up weight of possession and territory. 

None of this is disastrous if you are better, as your springing opportunities should logically bring higher xg chances. 

Bristol bravely overloaded wide - opening up the centre more usually - though countered this going 3 for 3 on our front players and making it difficult for our full backs to engage quicker and higher defensively. A brave tactic. 

Ultimately we won by ‘just’ scoring more goals than them. Though frankly, high press, heavy-metal running and being tactical aggressive wide must lead to more errors, chaos and opposition chances with higher xg. On top of the Pukki goals, Sinani’s 1v1 and the ‘phantom’ 1v1 at the final whistle are prime examples. That could be 5 goals without doing much ever so well. 

Bristol are gambling at a lower level that teams won’t be good enough to exploit this often enough. 

We - Pukki - was. Is.

Parma 

As usual, excellent observations. 

FWIW Smith seems to be implementing a philosophy of sorts that, if we can get it right and improve upon should we go up via suited recruitment, could well see us more robust and able to pick up points in the EPL. I feel overloading the midfield to counter Bristol’s press and reduce their outlet wide would’ve potentially been a little too negative for 60 minutes but the 2-0 gave the chance/leeway to wait and see if they would gift us more. I would dearly love to see a proper DM in Hayden and a bit of a protector for Nunez to give him that shade more time to unlock the defences. I think he is not having the fraction of time he may need but then Bristol pressed really well imo. Other teams won’t be so forward and better still have less going forward to make it even viable

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Thanks 1