Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Officiating at this level

Have we just been unlucky, or are referees really this crap now?

I think with the changes this season, we're probably often going to feel like we get the rough end of the deal, as generally we'll be the team on the ball and getting 'fouled' more often. 

It’s unbelievably poor and inconsistent. I shudder to think what league 1 and 2 are like.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They're absolutely appalling, who blows for full time when a player is clean through??? 

Still better than VAR though. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It’s unbelievably poor and inconsistent. I shudder to think what league 1 and 2 are like.

His last game was in League Two .......

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

They're absolutely appalling, who blows for full time when a player is clean through??? 

I thought the 'rule' was Refs would blow when the ball is away from the penalty areas (e.g neutral territory)?

The absolute icing on the cake for me tonight was, in the first half Bristol won a free kick right in front of their fans.

What does 'Mr Dynamic Ref' do?

He ambles over to mark where the free kick should be taken, walks and marks the 10 yards out without one Norwich player defending the ball!

Do some of these Refs not have a brain?

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It was only 13 years ago, the time when lambert last knew what he was doing. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Still better than VAR though. 

The kind of person who's just been booed and jeered for the last 20 minutes. As fun as it is to turn the place into a pantomime, it never really gains us anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

The kind of person who's just been booed and jeered for the last 20 minutes. As fun as it is to turn the place into a pantomime, it never really gains us anything. 

True, but that does kind of annoy me when it does seem to work for others. 

I don't think the ref tonight was any worse than the average Championship ref we usually get, to be honest. I don't think the refs are as bad as people make out either, it's just that so many decisions in football are subjective you'll always upset one set of fans whenever there's a borderline call.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think the ref tonight was any worse than the average Championship ref we usually get, to be honest. I don't think the refs are as bad as people make out either, it's just that so many decisions in football are subjective you'll always upset one set of fans whenever there's a borderline call.

Nah, the ref was dreadful and the overall standard was dreadful. He didn't even have any real big decisions to make but ignored the foul on Max for their goal.

Can also tell he is going to be 100% w*nking into an old sock in his mums basement tonight because he got to blow the whistle just as we went clean through. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm not sure what part of failing to give a clear free kick and not stopping the game for an obvious head injury are subjective.

It's not his fault we switched off and conceded a really crap goal, though. 

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah, the ref was dreadful and the overall standard was dreadful. He didn't even have any real big decisions to make but ignored the foul on Max for their goal.

I've only seen it once in real time, and it didn't look a foul to me from my angle, so I'd have to see the replay to properly judge. This just goes to show how hard refereeing is when you only get see an incident once, in real time, from one angle which may not always be the best one. 

We complain about refs about getting big decisions wrong and then we complain about the existence of VAR. You can't really have it both ways, because a ref is never going to get everything right; it's not humanly possible.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've only seen it once in real time, and it didn't look a foul to me from my angle, so I'd have to see the replay to properly judge. This just goes to show how hard refereeing is when you only get see an incident once, in real time, from one angle which may not always be the best one. 

We complain about refs about getting big decisions wrong and then we complain about the existence of VAR. You can't really have it both ways, because a ref is never going to get everything right; it's not humanly possible.

I'm not even really complaining about big decisions. You know he's had a bad game when Bristol fans are also criticising his performance. We committed a blatant foul in the middle of the park that set Hernandez clear. Nothing given. He got numerous small decisions wrong..the linesmen missed several offsides from both teams. Same with a couple corners / throw ins. It was diabolical. 

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not even really complaining about big decisions. You know he's had a bad game when Bristol fans are also criticising his performance. We committed a blatant foul in the middle of the park that set Hernandez clear. Nothing given. He got numerous small decisions wrong..the linesmen missed several offsides from both teams. Same with a couple corners / throw ins. It was diabolical. 

I think that goes back to what I said about so many decisions in football being subjective and no referee being perfect because they only get to see everything once from only one angle. They're going to have lots of 50-50 calls in 90 minutes and they're going to the odd 'easy' decision wrong here and there. It's pretty normal for fans of both sides to complain about the ref after a game, which probably explains why we have a thread about it after every single match without fail.

I don't think he was that bad tonight.

Surprised at the lack of yellow cards given two blatant checks from Bristol players, but I am not sure why people are moaning about the directive to let more contact go given the game's reputation for players going down easily.

Also could easily have given a pen for Hanley's challenge in the first half.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think the refs are as bad as people make out either, it's just that so many decisions in football are subjective you'll always upset one set of fans whenever there's a borderline call.

Well Wacky , everyone is entitled to an opinion. However . If you think that performance was anything other than hopeless you are sadly mistaken. The best for me was The missed corner that the whole of the Barclay saw (and I suspect most of the River end ) which was incompetence at its best - with a theatrical point to his own boot . 

As for the bigger decisions I won’t bother making reference . I think we all saw what happened there. 

• Like 2

The ref blatantly blew up when Josh was going to make it 4 just to stick a middle finger up at the fans for calling him out over the 2nd brizzole goal.

The cnut.

• Like 1

It's chronic, I've been saying it since the start of the season.

To be fair Teemu looks miles offside for our second.

Dreadful tin pot league.

The ref seemed to freeze at key points in the game, almost as if he was looking for guidance, very odd to blow up in the middle of an attack at the end. 

Not sure he did much wrong tonight to be honest 

The second goal was a 50/50 challenge then sinani plays a hospital ball to Nunez,  Nunez then plays an equally silly ball across the goal 

the next challenge was a clear obstruction

the ball came off hernandez for the goal kick 

the ref is fully within his rights to blow up at 6 minutes regardless of where the play is 

We’ve had a few stinking refs this season but tonight’s wasn’t one of them 

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that goes back to what I said about so many decisions in football being subjective and no referee being perfect because they only get to see everything once from only one angle. They're going to have lots of 50-50 calls in 90 minutes and they're going to the odd 'easy' decision wrong here and there. It's pretty normal for fans of both sides to complain about the ref after a game, which probably explains why we have a thread about it after every single match without fail.

Nothing subjective about it. He grabbed Max by the neck and pulled him over.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Not sure he did much wrong tonight to be honest 

The second goal was a 50/50 challenge then sinani plays a hospital ball to Nunez,  Nunez then plays an equally silly ball across the goal 

the next challenge was a clear obstruction

the ball came off hernandez for the goal kick 

the ref is fully within his rights to blow up at 6 minutes regardless of where the play is 

We’ve had a few stinking refs this season but tonight’s wasn’t one of them 

What about the part where Sinani was wiped out late behind in the build up?

Foul on Max as well which resulted in an (accidental for sure) kick to the temple as well?

Edited by Nexus_Canary

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's chronic, I've been saying it since the start of the season.

To be fair Teemu looks miles offside for our second.

Dreadful tin pot league.

Nowhere near offside, not in a million years.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Nothing subjective about it. He grabbed Max by the neck and pulled him over.

I wholly concur Ricardo....he fouled Max....

• Like 2